• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ak 47 pistol mass compliant

Not an expert by any means, but isnt it true (ATF regs) a Pistol Ak/Ar type has to have been a pistol from the factory, and can not be configured to be a pistol if it wasn't already???

Not that it matters in this state.

Not an expert by any means, but isnt it true (ATF regs) a Pistol Ak/Ar type has to have been a pistol from the factory, and can not be configured to be a pistol if it wasn't already???

Not that it matters in this state.

The receiver has to be built into a pistol in it's first complete configuration. Once you put a stock on it, it is forever a rifle, as if anyone would ever know.

Don't matter about factory with these guys.... They'll make there own receiver .

This.

I am also in the middle of a HK53 pistol build, but I think the BCG it self weighs more then your law allows, but I will weigh it when finished anyways.

Last edited:
The receiver has to be built into a pistol in it's first complete configuration. Once you put a stock on it, it is forever a rifle, as if anyone would ever know.
You'll need the virgin receiver transferred to you as a pistol if you don't build it your self at least in mass cause of the fa10 . I don't remember if the fed paper work when you buy a receiver says what it is.

On a gun like a ar15 if its first a pistol you can toss a stock and a 16" inch plus upper on it and use it as a rifle and convert it back to a pistol when ever you want . But if it starts life as a rifle it's always has to be a rifle . This why you can buy a rifle upper for a glock or 1911 and convert it back at will.

You'll need the virgin receiver transferred to you as a pistol if you don't build it your self at least in mass cause of the fa10 . I don't remember if the fed paper work when you buy a receiver says what it is.

On a gun like a ar15 if its first a pistol you can toss a stock and a 16" inch plus upper on it and use it as a rifle and convert it back to a pistol when ever you want . But if it starts life as a rifle it's always has to be a rifle . This why you can buy a rifle upper for a glock or 1911 and convert it back at will.

lol FA10.

I am not much worried about it, and in case anyone hasn't figured it out, I am not a lawyer. Look to someone who cares more then I do about this stuff for good internet legal advice.

This isn't relevant anymore. All lowers transfer as "Other" on the 4473 not as a Rifle or Handgun anymore. The latter two designations are only for assembled, functioning guns of the respective type.

-Mike

Last edited:
This isn't relevant anymore. All lowers transfer as "Other" not as a Rifle or Handgun anymore. The latter two designations are only for assembled, functioning guns of the respective type.

-Mike

Yeah I figured on the federal level it was other ..
Just have to be careful about the mass FFl trying to fa10 it as a rife still? It's been awhile since I transferred a receiver into mass and that shop gave up on trying to do a fa10 since they had no idea what gun I was building . when they asked about barrel length and caliber I just said i don't know yet .

Doesn't matter anymore, ATF treats them (stripped lowers) the same as of like 2?+ years ago. It only becomes a rifle or handgun once you make it into one.

-Mike

Yeah I figured on the federal level it was other ..
Just have to be careful about the mass FFl trying to fa10 it as a rife still? It's been awhile since I transferred a receiver into mass and that shop gave up on trying to do a fa10 since they had no idea what gun I was building . when they asked about barrel length and caliber I just said i don't know yet .

The FA-10 doesn't matter, a dealer filing an FA-10 on a lower is making a fraudulent claim, and that's his problem, not yours. It's then up to you to actually file it when the thing is actually a working gun. Dealers that file FA-10s on stripped lowers are retarded. Even when Guida was at CJIS he told dealers to NOT do this because a stripped lower is not a firearm.

-Mike

Drool. Would love to see how you'd do it under the weight limit. Ak pistol I get , ar not so much cause of the buffer. Granted I've see those weird uppers that don't use a buffer.

You assemble an AR pistol cause they are a bag o' fun, that's why. Ask Soloman02, CTC, and myself how we know! LOL That tube actually has some usage as it is. Trust me.

image-1175137842.jpg

image-2230647570.jpg

You assemble an AR pistol cause they are a bag o' fun, that's why. Ask Soloman02, CTC, and myself how we know! LOL That tube actually has some usage as it is. Trust me.

View attachment 83932

View attachment 83933

I am going to do this with one of the lowers I have kicking around once I recover from all the moving costs, they do look like a lot of fun.

very tempting...

tumblr_lt6bhuEDan1qbbcazo1_400.gif

Not true any more.

ATF recently ruled that if the firearm was originally manufactured as a PISTOL (the key here being originally manufactured as a pistol!!!), that you may put a stock and corresponding 16"+ barrel on it and turn it into a rifle. The big deal about the ruling was that once it started as a pistol and you converted it to a rifle (NOT A SBR), that you could then at your pleasure convert the rifle back to a pistol and vice versa.

So, how do you get a MA compliant pistol in MA without it looking like swiss ****ing cheese?

You buy a PAP M92 and do one of two things:

A. at the FFL before the transfer, you add a fixed stock and MASSufacture a legal length barrel. Then you take possession of it via the transfer AS A RIFLE.

OR

B. do the above, but you Form 1 your pistol (with buttstock and hideously long and ugly as **** barrel) into a MA legal SBR.

Choosing option B. gives you a factoy built pistol with a nicely functional buttstock (which we know as a SBR). That's what I would do...

So, how do you get a MA compliant pistol in MA without it looking like swiss ****ing cheese?

You buy a PAP M92 and do one of two things:

A. at the FFL before the transfer, you add a fixed stock and MASSufacture a legal length barrel. Then you take possession of it via the transfer AS A RIFLE.

OR

B. do the above, but you Form 1 your pistol (with buttstock and hideously long and ugly as **** barrel) into a MA legal SBR.

Choosing option B. gives you a factoy built pistol with a nicely functional buttstock (which we know as a SBR). That's what I would do...

How are you supposed to accomplish A? I don't think swapping the barrel on an AK is a trivial matter like on an AR.

You could pin or weld a long barrel extension on in 5 minutes.

I'm sure many people on here are creative enough to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom