• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK-47: if you had to buy just 1 (or 2)

I'd preferably want one of the Red Dawn guns of course ;)

Forgot about the Maadi. Good call.

I love me a preban underfolder... for looks. I owned one, but didn’t regret selling it. Still, if I found a nice one in good shape I’d love to pick it up. The MinShan in the classifieds is a great one, but I lack the cashola. That, plus a Valmet would be my two that I really want to find.

I have a WASR. It does everything I need it to. I love it since I made my own furniture for it. I doubt I’ll sell it. But truthfully, since I found my Vz58 I’ve got my x39 bases covered. Anything else is just gravy.

I'd preferably want one of the Red Dawn guns of course ;)

Of course. I was after a Maadi at one of last auctions I went to, but the price went through the roof.

Alright - before you jump to your keyboard battle stations and start firing off: "search" "google" "wtf noob"

And really because this goddamn gun/shooting forum could use a break from: "emotional affairs" "AOC did this" "smoke show teacher had sex with teenager" "Bernie did that" "Trump dumpster fire threads" "is my town green" (bring back banana suits and shovel AKs for the love of God)

Obviously there's pages and pages and dedicated forums for AKs but I'm curious what the NES brain trust thinks;

So, put your pitchfork down and have fun with this:

If you had to buy 1 or 2, the wife isn't paying attention (read budget is not a strict concern), what would it/they be? What's the holy grail? Originals, clones, trans, gender pronoun non-specific :p

Year? Country? Factory? Manufacturer? Variant? Mods? Accessories? Configuration? Add a pic too if you got one.
The only emotional affair in this forum is with ARs. Just buy a damn AK.

RAS47 for sure. One of the best products to come from Century
No offense intended, but these are troll posts I assume?

The OP's classification of "just one" and at "nearly any price" would rule the RAS out, if nothing else.

I think the RAS47 is probably the most maligned AK other than IO built ones...
It's like saying "I've got a decent amount of money, and can buy one only 9mm pistol" and someone recommending a Hi-Point or SD9VE.

Last edited:
If you must have an AK, go with a WASR10. IDK what prices they go for now, but when I think about things, if the goal is a rifle that is reliable and shoots 7.62x39 well, I would get one of the Chinese SKS' that are everywhere now for under $500.

If the Palmetto KS47 continues to get good reviews by owners, I would go with that. So far, it's still too soon to tell with that gun.

Pats have improved since the 1st qtr and shut down the passing game for Philly. That's a big reason why the defense has 5 sacks so far.

momentum is on Pats side, another TD will seal the game.

Yeah. My Valmet M76 is a side-folding tube stock. I'd prefer a fixed stock. Folders are cool and reduce storage requirements, but in every other way a fixed stock is better.
M76 as well, I love mine in original wood furniture. Only have one original magazine though. Had to convert a bunch of others, but such is life. Would love to get a galil as well but to hell with those prices.

M76 as well, I love mine in original wood furniture. Only have one original magazine though. Had to convert a bunch of others, but such is life. Would love to get a galil as well but to hell with those prices.
I wish I had one with wood furniture and a fixed stock, in 7.62.

You going to crap on a c39v2 without saying why?

I didn't "crap" on it. Just can't recommend it. I owned one.

I thought it was common knowledge. Check out the videos by MAC and AK Operator's Union. Here's one that they did together, but they both have several videos on the topic.

Last edited:
You going to crap on a c39v2 without saying why?
I didn't "crap" on it. Just can't recommend it. I owned one.

I thought it was common knowledge. Check out the videos by MAC and AK Operator's Union. Here's one that they did together, but they both have several videos on the topic.

FWIW the 2nd search result on the c39v2 is "problems"
1574038886019.png

One review I watched on youtube a while back, I think it was Hickok's son but I'm not sure, when disassembling to show the viewers the recoil assembly broke somehow when putting the dustcover back on. On AIM they have one review, and it's a 1-star:
1574039012719.png

Never ran one myself; they do feel nice in the hands but given the track record, I would not buy one when for the same price you could do better.

FWIW the 2nd search result on the c39v2 is "problems"
View attachment 313310

One review I watched on youtube a while back, I think it was Hickok's son but I'm not sure, when disassembling to show the viewers the recoil assembly broke somehow when putting the dustcover back on. On AIM they have one review, and it's a 1-star:
View attachment 313311

Never ran one myself; they do feel nice in the hands but given the track record, I would not buy one when for the same price you could do better.
This is the first I heard of any bad reputation. I've had mine for a few years, and it has been flawless.

Favorite was a Norinco type 56 Sile, NY import underfolder with blue bolt. Once I got into AR’s though, the AK’s went bye bye

This is the first I heard of any bad reputation. I've had mine for a few years, and it has been flawless.
Certainly won't be all of them, and if you have one that works well for you then that is great. The general sentiment on AK Files and elsewhere is that they are not recommended. That said, even if like 30% are bad, then that means 70% will be fine, so the odds are still in your favor. Again, no personal experience, and glad yours works well for you and I hope it continues to do so.

norinco or vepr
seems like a recurring theme

this talks to me
54rBuildBlog.jpg

I absolutely love my SAM7R. If I didn't live in MA, I'd add a Galil ACE to the collection.

Just don't buy a C39v2 or an IO. (Sorry Century guys)

I'd be all over a ACE pistol with a brace if the mASS AWB went away by some sort of federal ruling.

Back
Top Bottom