ak 47 barrel

hi i have built 2 ar 15s now i have a Hungarian ak the barrel is cut got a new one with kit does anyone know of a good place for instrutions on how to replace it thanks wayne tetreault

send it to childers guns he does a great job of populating barrels a lot cheeper then buying tools to do it yourself

He actually did a poor job at populating a barrel I sent him a couple of years back and never bothered to respond to my emails afterwards. The only bottom hand guard that will not just fall off the rifle is an old wood surplus that just wiggles back and forth!

i don't want to send it out i would like to learn to do it myself other wise you might as well buy one off the shelf what fun is that

i don't want to send it out i would like to learn to do it myself other wise you might as well buy one off the shelf what fun is that

Things you'll need .
Press.
Tools to hold the trunnion straight .
Some thing to press on the muzzle .
And some thing to press on the chamber to get it back out , if you do it with the trunnion not riveted in incase you go to far . Of the trunnion is riveted incase you go to far .
Go/no go Gauges .
A good drill press and vise mounted to it . A xy vise helps but not fully needed. Mill is quicker .
Some scrap pipe and washer .
Drills and reamers . Few steel punches.

I've mainly populated after the trunnion is riveted . Which makes things easier in some ways .

After you get head space set. I use a end mill to put a flat on the barrel pin area to help keep the bit from walking .
I'll use a pin a hair smaller then the barrel pin . To center the hole in the drill press. I just put the pin in the chuck and keep moving the vice till it's in the right spot and lock it down .
I cut a flat on the barrel with a end mill. Then use a center drill and got down till the center drill starts cutting on the wide angle .
Drill under size . Ream. Then press pin .

Depending on fit . I use one inch strip of sand paper to remove material if the parts are too tight .

I use a washer on top of the part and a pipe like a slide hammer . Or press on the pipe with the press to slide the part around the barrel .

Rsb is easy to line up cause they fit in the ears of the trunnion , repeat pin drill steps .

If the gas port hole is pre drilled . I use compressed air to check hole isn't blocked .
If no hole I use the gas tube to figure out placement . 90 deg blocks you'll hand to mark and slide back to drill . Angle blocks akm style use use the gas block as a guide .

I use a digital protractor to keep things from being canted etc.

If you populate be for riveting . Cut a side of the pipe off that's longer then the barrel . Press on the trunnion with some thing on the chamber face and the barrel will pop out .

Back
Top Bottom