• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK-47 and Holographic sights

I'm interested in putting a red dot sight on an AK-47. The way I figured would be best to do it would to install a picatinny rail upper-handguard and mount the sight to that so the sight sits solidly in place just above the gas tube. I have a couple questions about this.

Has anyone here done anything like that, and how did it work out for accuracy, sight picture, etc.?

Does anyone know of a good but inexpensive holographic sight? I'm looking for one preferably without a tube style body, and one that still allows use of the iron sights.

Thanks, sight input is welcome regardless of the gun that you mounted it on.

"Inexpensive"?

Not sure what your budget is, but you get what you pay for.

I haven't shopped around lately, but from my experience the less expensive/cheaper red dot sights tend to be "tube style".

If you don't mind spending the $$$, I'd suggest a Kobra sight from Kalinka Optics.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=57

They also have the proper mounting hardware.

As to accuracy... well, this is an AK47 we're talking about [wink].

It's ability to have a clear picture, is durable and holds its zero is what's important.

One thing to keep in mind is if you're using something like an Ultimak, the sight must be able to (literally) take the heat the gas tube is going to give off, because the sight itself will
almost be like a heatsink for the gas tube.

I've heard, for example, that eotechs cannot take the heat given off by this tube.

-Mike

... inexpensive holographic sight? ... <snip>

...still allows use of the iron sights.

What I've done is mount a TruGlo red dot on a siderail mount. I've tried a C-more dot (Got dirty too quickly so it went back on my S&W.500 )and went back to the TruGlo. It's accurate enough at 100 yards and FOV is wide enough to pick up targets on the move.

The siderail mount is high enough so I could use the irons if I wanted to.

1Ash6.jpg

I've also seen receiver covers with a section of rail on top of then for mounting optics. This would avoid the heat issue.
31J7K6510EL_SS500_.jpg

I do not know about Holographic sights, but here are my MAK 90 and WASR 10 with Ultimak tubes. The MAK 90 has a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot and the WASR 10 has a very inexpensive Simmons Red Dot from Midway. The iron sights on the WASR 10 can be clearly seen right through the Simmons. The Bushnell does not co-witness, the tube is to small and does not sit low enough. I have had no issue with heat. Both scopes have functioned well and have held zero. I have put as much as 300 rds through the MAK 90 in one sitting and the barrel was smoking hot without issue. This has been my experience with two relatively inexpensive red dots. Good luck.

Ultimaks001.jpg

AKs005.jpg

Thanks for all the great advice. You guys have some nice setups. I especially like the one The Goose has in the bottom picture. How did you mount that to the gas tube like that?

Back
Top Bottom