• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Airmont NY Deputy Mayor Brian Downey arrested, accused of buying gun parts over Internet

mikeyp

NES Member

AIRMONT — Deputy Mayor Brian Downey was charged Thursday with 11 felony counts of illegal purchases of a rifle suppression device and other gun parts over the Internet, and investigators seized weapons at his house.

Downey, 47, a Ramapo deputy building inspector and part-time court officer, was walked out of his home by two Ramapo police officers following a joint investigation by U.S. Homeland Security and the Rockland District Attorney's Office.

Downey faces felony charges that include purchasing a rifle suppression device over the Internet. He has yet to plead to the charges, but a felony conviction would force him to leave office.

1630678772087.png

1630678779937.png

More media spin - not "Accused of buying silencers over the internet" but accused of buying "gun parts" - to plant the idea in the head of the reader that the later is in and of itself a bad thing. Subtle inaccuracies like this that put a different slant on things are not accidental.

So were they solvent traps he converted or legit and he didn’t have a stamp? These articles always have so few details…

Last edited:
More media spin - not "Accused of buying silencers over the internet" but accused of buying "gun parts" - to plant the idea in the head of the reader that the later is in and of itself a bad thing. Subtle inaccuracies like this that put a different slant on things are not accidental.
Exactly - the leftist media have a lodestone sense of direction - it’s like flocks of birds or schools of fish, finding direction without any visible leadership.

Get the Guns, Get the GOP, Get the Conservatives, Fly Towards the Liberal/Progressive Light…

What website sells SureFire suppressors without the NFA?

Chicom knockoffs?

Or glowingfedhoneypotpatriots4trump.com perhaps.

I have heard tell of people buying solvent trap kits for form 1 builds and finding they were modified in ways which the description suggested they were not, and certainly not as shown in the pictures... Bad news, even with your tax stamp in hand.

I was thinking Chicom knock offs as well. Gets flagged by customs on the way in and boom you’re now on the no fly list lol.

out within an hour, president pardons, beer summit, federal official public apology, settlement money for harassment, reinstated at a higher pay scale

Chicom knockoffs?

Or glowingfedhoneypotpatriots4trump.com perhaps.

I have heard tell of people buying solvent trap kits for form 1 builds and finding they were modified in ways which the description suggested they were not, and certainly not as shown in the pictures... Bad news, even with your tax stamp in hand.

.gov not .com

I updated the Walmart app on my smartphone this evening,
and as always, tested the useless piece of crap
by doing a product search for:

.223​

It previously would show me stuff like scopes and boresight lasers
compatible with AR's. No guns, no ammo.

However, this time I typoed the query and entered ".233".
Check out what it suggested, for a low low price of $20.99:

Walmart_app_test.png

At least it wasn't categorized as a "back-to-school fave".
But I'm still goin' to jail...

I updated the Walmart app on my smartphone this evening,
and as always, tested the useless piece of crap
by doing a product search for:

.223​

It previously would show me stuff like scopes and boresight lasers
compatible with AR's. No guns, no ammo.

However, this time I typoed the query and entered ".233".
Check out what it suggested, for a low low price of $20.99:

View attachment 520980

At least it wasn't categorized as a "back-to-school fave".
But I'm still goin' to jail...

There's a typo in your search, you entered ".233" , not .223. The oil filter fits a Ford 233 (industrial tractor).

Just because it may look like a suppressor doesn't mean that it is a suppressor.

18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24) provides as follows:
The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing,
muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination
of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating
a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Certainly it could be argued that if these items were not functional or complete suppressors they were parts intended for use in assembling or fabricating a suppressor, but wouldn't that depend on what the owner's intent was? What if these "faux suppressors" were just shells and the owner just wanted to have the dummy look?

A 2005 letter ruling by ATF then ATF Director Truscot stated, definitionally, a suppressor must be of "diminishing report" and a test would measure the difference in sound between firing the firearm with and without the devise attached. If these were "faux suppressors" and there were no additional components that would make these functional, without a measurable and arguably meaningful reduction in sound then these would not be by definition a suppressor. 7.98 decibels for a .22 is enough of a reduction to categorize an item as a suppressor, but I do not see any minimum sound reduction threshold.

Back
Top Bottom