Airlines could refuse emotional support animals under proposed rule

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Oh am I behind this! I've already submitted my comment. Please help. All those cheap bastard people who buy $15 fake support animals on eBay and turn the flights into a freaking circus. Cats, Dogs and other assorted animals should be stuffed in a cage in the luggage compartment and maybe they should allow their owners to accompany them there as well.

You can submit your comments here:

Come on normal people, make this happen. The animal people are going to be mad

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
pretty sure i mentioned this before...on the way to shot in '17 i was told all first class seats were sold when i tried to upgrade. i'm sitting 2 rows back in an aisle seat from first and had been hearing a cat meowing up on the other side of the curtain for the better part of an hour. i needed to find out wtf so i went for a walk into first to hit the restroom and there's a freakin' cat in a little vest (don't know what it said on that vest) laying on a seat of it's own like king farouk, a little pet carrier down on the floor in front of the seat. i do hope that was a full fare $1100 seat that kitty was sitting in. i hate cats.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for posting, I’m gonna share w a few people, my kids‘ special needs school & the special needs community. This is a big issue for kids w special needs that have a fear of animals; its a fairly common problem w/ kids at their school. We can’t take our daughter to many places because of people’s “therapy” pets. Thanks.

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
pretty sure i mentioned this before...on the way to shot in '17 i was told all first class seats were sold when i tried to upgrade. i'm sitting 2 rows back in an aisle seat from first and had been hearing a cat meowing up on the other side of the curtain for the better part of an hour. i needed to find out wtf so i went for a walk into first to hit the restroom and there's a freakin' cat in a little vest (don't know what it said on that vest) laying on a seat of it's own like king farouk, a little pet carrier down on the floor in front of the seat. i do hope that was a full fare $1100 seat that kitty was sitting in. i hate cats.
While ridiculous, if someone actually paid full price for the seat so their cat could sit there, I have no problem with it. If they demanded a free seat so their ridiculous emotional support ferret could hang out there, then they need to be taken out back and have some sense beaten into them.

I have no problems with making accommodations for legitimate service animals, but they tend to be pretty obviously serving a purpose other than "muh feelz!"

kurtb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
good - the planes are like flying zoos at this point .. Everyone is bending the rules.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The department's proposal would also allow airlines to limit service animals to two per passenger and require that they check in an hour earlier than other passengers. "

Huh? So US DOT is saying "airlines: you don't have to accept support animals" AND "airlines: no more than just two per passenger"? Kind of a mixed message, and seemingly something that could blow up in faces when people realize they can bring more than one support animal.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a big difference between the animal who’s owner buys the certificate online and a true and trained support animal. They require hundreds of hours of training and are tested under a number of circumstances to ensure they act according. My friend travels with a true support dog, her fear without the dog when flying is debilitating even with medication. You wouldn’t even know her dog is one a flight when they travel, he’s either curled on her lap or has tucked himself under the seat. People have commented they didn’t know there was a dog with her even when sitting across the isle.

Posting this as I sit at the Charlotte airport and watch a parade of dogs walk by. So far there haven’t been any peacocks, pigs, cats, or alligators.

caboose84

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a campground and this is a large issue in the service industry.

According to the ADA, emotional support animals do *not* qualify as service animals under the act, but there are a metric butt ton of people who are claiming their pet is a service animal and must be allowed wherever they go. Those are the ones buying vests and cert's and tend to be obnoxious in asserting muffy must be allowed to go with them everywhere.

Per the ADA a business may ask two questions- 1) Is this animal required for a disability and 2) What specific service or task has the animal been trained to provide?
If the answers are not satisfactory then the business can legitimately deny the animal. Also if the animal is out of control, aggressive with other animals or craps or pees - then the animal can be denied and the owner must pay for any damages.

Some states have legitimized support animals, but there are no training or certification standards that apply, and the federal ADA doesn't recognize emotional support as a valid service animal function.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There’s a big difference between the animal who’s owner buys the certificate online and a true and trained support animal. They require hundreds of hours of training and are tested under a number of circumstances to ensure they act according. My friend travels with a true support dog, her fear without the dog when flying is debilitating even with medication. You wouldn’t even know her dog is one a flight when they travel, he’s either curled on her lap or has tucked himself under the seat. People have commented they didn’t know there was a dog with her even when sitting across the isle.

Posting this as I sit at the Charlotte airport and watch a parade of dogs walk by. So far there haven’t been any peacocks, pigs, cats, or alligators.
I think you mean a Service Animal. A Service Animal (only dogs and some miniature horses qualify as Service Animals, no other animals do) are trained to perform a medically necessary function. And yes, that includes for some folks who have mental health/emotional issues/PTSD, etc. Those are fine. That's not what is happening on the airlines today.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I own a campground and this is a large issue in the service industry.

According to the ADA, emotional support animals do *not* qualify as service animals under the act, but there are a metric butt ton of people who are claiming their pet is a service animal and must be allowed wherever they go. Those are the ones buying vests and cert's and tend to be obnoxious in asserting muffy must be allowed to go with them everywhere.

Per the ADA a business may ask two questions- 1) Is this animal required for a disability and 2) What specific service or task has the animal been trained to provide?
If the answers are not satisfactory then the business can legitimately deny the animal. Also if the animal is out of control, aggressive with other animals or craps or pees - then the animal can be denied and the owner must pay for any damages.

Some states have legitimized support animals, but there are no training or certification standards that apply, and the federal ADA doesn't recognize emotional support as a valid service animal function.
If it's not a dog, it doesn't qualify as a Service Animal under the ADA (there are some miniature horses that qualify too but those are few and far between and are specialty applications).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NES....freedom loving until we dont like your particular freedom.

I fly every week. Every single week. I see all the dogs and cats. My freedom has not been infringed upon by a single one of them. I'm surprised the airlines havent just allowed all dogs and charge a couple hundy for each. Untapped revenue stream.

I do not see a big problem where these fake service pets adversely affect anyone. So who cares? My guess is grumpy oldsters who are annoyed at someone else and love to have their righteous indignation.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I fly every week. Every single week. I see all the dogs and cats. My freedom has not been infringed upon by a single one of them. I'm surprised the airlines havent just allowed all dogs and charge a couple hundy for each. Untapped revenue stream.

I do not see a big problem where these fake service pets adversely affect anyone. So who cares? My guess is grumpy oldsters who are annoyed at someone else and love to have their righteous indignation.
For real. I dont even know there are dogs or cats on the plane until i go to use the bathroom and I see them on somebody's lap. Not a peep from these animals. The screaming and kicking kids though, ban them.

Rating - 50%
1   1   0

There is always 1 a**h*** that goes too far:

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0

They already charge to bring on pets, if you falsely claim that your pet is a "service animal" there is no charge, that's how you game the system.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It used to be just blind people that had dog's.
Yep...and it pisses me off to no end to see some effing snowflake carrying an effing mop dog in her purse because she needs the emotional support to fly.
The problem here is that there really is no "standard" for service animals. There is this bullshit registry you send $35 to and they will print you a certificate stating that you need that 15 ft python to help you out emotionally. Guide Dogs are literally the only animal that is allowed in restaurants or public transport. And that is the ONLY exception.

I am torn though on vets coming back with serious PTSD and support animals are used. Part of me wants to support the vet, but part of me is like, "I don't remember seeing any Vietnam era vets with service animals". I dunno.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

For real. I dont even know there are dogs or cats on the plane until i go to use the bathroom and I see them on somebody's lap. Not a peep from these animals. The screaming and kicking kids though, ban them.
That's great for you guys, doesn't affect you so who cares? I'm allergic to cats and can't be in a confined space w/ them. I have a severe special needs child who is deathly afraid of animals, she melts down, bolts and self injures if they're around her. Not your problem, I get it, but it is a problem for a lot of people. People have a right to have pets on their own property, they don't have the right to have them on other people's property or in many shared public places like restaurants, restricted beaches etc. There are plenty of public places and businesses that are pet friendly that we have to avoid, I get it and generally don't have a problem with it. Pets don't belong on a f***ing plane unless crated in the cargo hold, unless it's a legitimate service animal trained for a specific medical function to aid a human. So yeah, I care; I would love not to care.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The problem here is that there really is no "standard" for service animals. There is this bullshit registry you send $35 to and they will print you a certificate stating that you need that 15 ft python to help you out emotionally. Guide Dogs are literally the only animal that is allowed in restaurants or public transport. And that is the ONLY exception.

I am torn though on vets coming back with serious PTSD and support animals are used. Part of me wants to support the vet, but part of me is like, "I don't remember seeing any Vietnam era vets with service animals". I dunno.
Actually, there is a standard for service animals, not for therapy/support animals. Only a dog can be an official service animal covered under the ADA (and some miniature horses). Pythons, cats, etc. have zero legal standing as service animals and can be restricted from businesses and other public places.

Re PTSD vets, I have seen a few that looked like they had legit service animals. I don't think that because prior generation Vets didn't have them that it's not a good thing for Vets to have them today

Top Bottom