• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Airline travel with ammo

Does anyone know if ammo can be stored in this 100 rd plastic mtm ammo case? Flying with a firearm for the first time, and was wondering.

Attachments

• 20190509_094311.jpg
    20190509_094311.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 24
Every airline (and same airline at DIFFERENT airports) has different rules. Go to their website and check, usually pretty straightforward, but as I recall every one that I've read said something like "stored in original container" or similar. Never got any grief about loaded mags in the same tupperware as the gun. I usually put a box or two in a separate tupperware if I feel the need for more than my spare mags but you can *probably* get away with just throwing the box in your suitcase.

Like @appraiser said, they don't like "loose" but I'm pretty sure a plastic box is fine, the purpose is to protect the primers from accidental strikes. But ya never know when somebody's gonna get pissy about "what the rules say."

99% of the time they barely know which end of the gun a bullet comes out at the airport. Any plastic bin or original cardboard box is fine.

Most say in the original container but I have also used a similar case that you show on Delta and it was fine. most of the time they open my case and ask where I am going...only once a woman originally from Alabama said "someone going to have fun on vacation" and I just said yes, yes I am. Just dont forget the weight limit...its 11 lbs on Delta for Ammo, although I have never had them weigh them???

Some airlines specify factory boxes. Some airlines allow loaded magazines as long as the primer is protected.

I play it safe as I can and use factory boxes when called for.
I keep some empty boxes around for that reason. Doesn't have to be the actual box for that ammo, any factory box.

Favorite response when TSA inspector opened the case of my M4 with optics, lights, handgun and other accessories: "You ain't going hunting are ya?"

The whole concept of airline representative required to check if a gun is loaded is stupid. I once was required to show a rep that a revolver was unloaded. I opened the cylinder and showed her. She said "How am I supposed to know if its loaded?" I then said: "If you don't know how to tell if a gun is loaded, why are you the one who is supposed to check?" Just got a blank stare.

Thank you everyone for your input. I'll be taking Jetblue to Atlanta in July. I have checked their website, and even called them and unfortunately can't get a clear answer. The following is from their website

"Ammunition for the firearm cannot be placed in the same container as the firearm, but may be in the same checked bag as long as everything is packaged properly. Ammunition must be housed in a separate container that is completely separate and distinct from the firearms locked box. The ammunition must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal box specifically designed for carrying small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition is limited to 11 pounds per customer. Ammunition will not be permitted in carry-on or checked baggage on international flights. "

I don't want to take a risk and go through unnecessary bs so I'll most likely by some ammo before the trip, and as David said... Keep an extra factory box on hand for these instances. You just never know with people knowing what is permitted, and what is not.

I have flown with firearms/ammo on Jetblue out of Logan more times than I can count. I travel with carry handgun usually, in a small locked container that is cabled to the frame of my suitcase. Ammo is either in moonclips or magazine in the same container. If I have more ammo it is in an original box in the suitcase.

Usually they give me the form to fill out, I fill it out, sign and stick inside my suitcase and am done.

Some rarer occurrences
  1. Please show me that it is unloaded--- I open locked box and show that it is unloaded. They ask "is that unloaded?" to which I say "yes". Clearly they dont know what a gun is
  2. They try and put something on the outside of my suitcase. NO. I pull up the Jetblue AND TSA regulations which are bookmarked on my tablet and show them. They call supervisor and ultimately they do it the right way -- this has happened a few times
  3. I get paged after checking. TSA wants to look inside the locked container to determine that the gun is unloaded
    1. I go to where TSA is and open the container, all good
    2. They say I can't go to where TSA is and either I give them the keys or I will miss my flight. I have never given up my keys and I have never missed my flight
No one has EVER said a word about the ammo being inside the locked container with the firearm. I even have a round rolling around loose when it is semi auto (full mag + one in the chamber) and that has never caused a comment

My best luck is having the TSA guy check me for unloaded. They (sort of) have their act together. Then I ask them to put a couple of turns of their blue and white TSA tape around the gun case in two places. This means that the case never has to be checked again as long as the tape is not broken. Easy check in/out in Alaska where most of the luggage is coolers and gun cases. Jack.

Firearms can be transported on a commercial aircraft only if they are unloaded, packed in a locked, hard-sided case and placed in checked baggage. Ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames, receivers, clips and magazines are also prohibited in carry-on baggage and must be checked. Check all the information before traveling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom