• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Air travel cases

Just wondering what does everyone use when flying?

I have a hard plastic case which I can use for handguns to put into my suitcase, however how would you transport your rifle?
Do you buy a dedicated large hard case that you check in separately or do you have some kind of case that you can then put inside your suitcase?

I have a few hard cases - Pelican, SKB, Plano, and Boyt.

I know some people who use golf travel bags/cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two different schools of thought about 'best practices'. Some argue that low-profile TSA-locked soft luggage (containing a small, hidden, locked hard case containing the firearm) is preferable to a larger - and necessarily more-overt - hard case secured with high-security padlocks. The theory being that by 'blending into the crowd', one can avoid becoming a target. Others argue that - because most known thefts of firearms from airline luggage have involved thefts of firearms from the bags, rather than the theft of a complete bag - the real solution lies in more-secure bags and more-secure locks.

I subscribe to the latter school. A large Pelican case secured with Abloy Protec 2 padlocks is hard to beat.

Threat-Model Based Padlock Selection
July 8, 2016 By Justin Carroll

Choosing A Brand
https://securitysnobs.com/Choosing-A-Brand.html

Last edited by a moderator:
For a handgun I use a metal lock box and fasten the security cable to the luggage frame and the lock box. It just prevent anyone from taking the box without working for it.

For a rifle, I once used a cheap Plano case and my iron sights broke from all the rattling around. I was lucky I had time to buy a scope the next day Montana before leaving for a bear hunt in Idaho.

Short story - spend the money on a rifle case and get something that protects and secures the rifle. I purchased a Pelican case.

Last edited:
Back in1990 I had to travel for work and had to check one of the first Sigs I ever bought a P226. I checked it in an oversized hard case (my thinking was larger and obvious would be harder to steal/ conceal. I followed all the guidelines showed my military paperwork for traveling with firearm checked it into Logan at the main terminal and never saw it again. I got off onto the center tarmac at Miami watched the luggage come off and felt my stomach sink as it was obviously not there. All I can say to the s#1tbyrds at Logan I hope they all got scrotal cancer and their children died.

Side note I still have the issue box orange with fine Corinthian burgundy foam Inlay and manual if anyone wants to buy a collectors item

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom