• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Air strike almost called in on Brookline school

Hope the shooter was off school grounds.

An air rifle magically becomes a real firearms when it crosses onto school property, and ceases to be come a firearm once it leave school grounds (seriously).

Hope the shooter was off school grounds.

An air rifle magically becomes a real firearms when it crosses onto school property, and ceases to be come a firearm once it leave school grounds (seriously).
under MA law a firearm or rifle is defined as having a rifled barrel and capable of "discharging" a shot so by definition a pellet gun/pistol/rifle with a rifled barrel is a firearm/rifle per ma law.
So its not magical at all. Now I don't know if that's different on federal law as a firearm is defined by Federal Law as discharging a shot by explosion.

All fun aint it. I would have been in jail many times over if I was touting my pellet rilfes around like I did when I was a kid...

under MA law a firearm or rifle is defined as having a rifled barrel and capable of "discharging" a shot so by definition a pellet gun/pistol/rifle with a rifled barrel is a firearm/rifle per ma law.
So its not magical at all. Now I don't know if that's different on federal law as a firearm is defined by Federal Law as discharging a shot by explosion.
MGL 269-10j contains a separate and more expansive definition of "firearm" than the remainder of MA law. A projective device does not need to be a firearm or a rifle in order to be considered a firearm under 269-10j; it merely needs to be able to discharge a projectile. For example, a BB gun with a smooth bore is a firearm only if on school property.

The "magic" I referred to is how the "firearmedness" (under MA law, not federal) of the object changes simply because it is located on different real estate.

MGL 269-10j contains a separate and more expansive definition of "firearm" than the remainder of MA law. A projective device does not need to be a firearm or a rifle in order to be considered a firearm under 269-10j; it merely needs to be able to discharge a projectile. For example, a BB gun with a smooth bore is a firearm only if on school property.

The "magic" I referred to is how the "firearmedness" (under MA law, not federal) of the object changes simply because it is located on different real estate.

thank you beacon hill fvcktards

thank you beacon hill fvcktards
Coming someday to MA... LTCSG? (License to Carry Squirt Gun)

Can you summarize so we don't have to click on the glob link? Air Rifle within 500 miles of a school, choppers called in to subdue the would-be assassin? Total lock down?

Brookline police initially asked for the help from State Police, including the Air Wing, but canceled that request before they arrived, said Brookline police spokesman Lieutenant Philip Harrington.

It starts with air surveillance , but pretty soon they will be firing a couple of missiles from a Needham SWAT police drone (obtained courtesy of the National Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal Year 1997), or a ground-to-ground anti-tank weapon to make sure everything is safe.

1920px-Looking_for_a_tactical_vehicle_1033.png

I think under the circumstances, a SWAT team would not be overkill. think of the children!!!

Media fail...the didn't take the opportunity to refer to it as an automatic and/or assault rifle before they reported the fact that it was a BB gun.

Also, "suffers from Mental Health challenges". Airgun ID card in the next Legislative session...

Media fail...the didn't take the opportunity to refer to it as an automatic and/or assault rifle before they reported the fact that it was a BB gun.

Also, "suffers from Mental Health challenges". Airgun ID card in the next Legislative session...

Was not long ago you needed a FID for pellets and BBs

So... all of this huffing and puffing over nothing? Three BS charges all because some soccer mom freaked out that she saw a gun... What great times we live in.

Rob is correct

Police searched Zhou’s apartment but found no other weapons but the box for the Hatsan Mod 95 high performance break-barrel air rifle. Just past 10 a.m. police arrested Zhou for disturbing the peace and disorderly conduct.
I wonder if disorderly conduct rates a search warrant these days, or if the police implied they would go easy on him if he consented to a search.

I'm sure the silly cow who reported this guy is getting praises at her PTO group. The guy probably doesn't have a record, was just doing some air gun target practice, and is gonna go through the system for what most of us would see as nothing but target practice.

If I truly believed some random guy was walking around next to a school with a rifle (or anywhere in the city) I would certainly call the police. I don't think she was wrong, I think arresting a dude for target practice in the woods is the problem here. Tell him it's not allowed and to find a better place if those are the rules.

If I truly believed some random guy was walking around next to a school with a rifle (or anywhere in the city) I would certainly call the police. I don't think she was wrong, I think arresting a dude for target practice in the woods is the problem here. Tell him it's not allowed and to find a better place if those are the rules.

Agreed. Unfortunately, there's no way to limit how much .gov will railroad someone when, in this case, a simple "hey buddy, you can't be shooting in this sanctuary, go find a sand pit" would suffice.

But MA has to be MA.

Hoar Sanctuary, despite the spelling sounds like a neat place to get arrested for disturbing the peace.
The MA laws are surely doing what they're intended to do. :-(

I wonder if disorderly conduct rates a search warrant these days, or if the police implied they would go easy on him if he consented to a search.

I'll bet they confiscated his computer too . . . to search for any "plots" to shoot near a school or other such pure bullshit! All this seems to be SOP these days and why I'm glad not to be part of a PD anymore.

Agreed. Unfortunately, there's no way to limit how much .gov will railroad someone when, in this case, a simple "hey buddy, you can't be shooting in this sanctuary, go find a sand pit" would suffice.

But MA has to be MA.

Back almost 40 yrs ago the gun club I belonged to used to get "regular" visitors by people who were "caught" shooting one town over by the PD (they always prohibited any shooting in that town) and the cops would tell them "why don't you go to xxx F&G and do your shooting there". No arrests, records, searches, etc. Simply good cops telling them "not here". Even though their suggestion was to trespass on private property in another town to use a private range. [laugh]

It was most common back 30-40+ yrs ago for a cop to merely tell someone don't do that again/here and not make criminals out of people who did something wrong but had no malicious intent. Those were the days that I enjoyed police work.

Times certainly have changed!

You think Brookline bothered with something so quaint as a search warrant? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom