• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Air Rifle Laws

I'm about to move to a house with a good chunk of land and I was thinking about getting a couple nice air rifles for the wife and I so we go do some plunking. The area that would be setting up is visible from the road. I was wondering if MA has any air rifle laws that I should know about. I've done some research but haven't found anything pertaining to where we can shoot them. We'll have an adequate back stop and will only be shooting cans and those little spinning targets. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Here ya go. This is Mass. law. Also, you will have to check with your local town or city bylaws to see if discharge of airguns is allowed locally.
Chapter 269: Section 12B. Air rifles; possession by minors; shooting

Section 12B. No minor under the age of eighteen shall have an air rifle or so-called BB gun in his possession while in any place to which the public has a right of access unless he is accompanied by an adult or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on his person a permit from the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession. No person shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or so-called BB gun into, from or across any street, alley, public way or railroad or railway right of way, and no minor under the age of eighteen shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or BB gun unless he is accompanied by an adult or is the holder of a sporting or hunting license. Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars, and the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall be confiscated. Upon a conviction of a violation of this section the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall, by the written authority of the court, be forwarded to the colonel of the state police, who may dispose of said article in the same manner as prescribed in section ten.

Awesome! Thanks. I'll have to check with the town next, but it seems I should have a problem.

Here ya go. This is Mass. law. Also, you will have to check with your local town or city bylaws to see if discharge of airguns is allowed locally.
Chapter 269: Section 12B. Air rifles; possession by minors; shooting

Section 12B. No minor under the age of eighteen shall have an air rifle or so-called BB gun in his possession while in any place to which the public has a right of access unless he is accompanied by an adult or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on his person a permit from the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession. No person shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or so-called BB gun into, from or across any street, alley, public way or railroad or railway right of way, and no minor under the age of eighteen shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or BB gun unless he is accompanied by an adult or is the holder of a sporting or hunting license. Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars, and the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall be confiscated. Upon a conviction of a violation of this section the air rifle or BB gun or other weapon shall, by the written authority of the court, be forwarded to the colonel of the state police, who may dispose of said article in the same manner as prescribed in section ten.

§ 12B is the bulk of them. Also keep in mind § 12A (no sales to minors, no funishing to minors unless parent or instructor), and § 10(j) (no carrying on school grounds).

Awesome! Thanks. I'll have to check with the town next, but it seems I should have a problem.

Keep in mind if there are kids that come to your house, it is best to keep the bb gun locked up. Once they get a hold of the gun and the BBs, that is enough to run afoul of the rules requiring adult supervision.

Keep in mind if there are kids that come to your house, it is best to keep the bb gun locked up. Once they get a hold of the gun and the BBs, that is enough to run afoul of the rules requiring adult supervision.

you forgot about the mass slaughter that always happens when a minor gets a gun......

you forgot about the mass slaughter that always happens when a minor gets a gun......

Yeah, well if our legistraitors didn't create law by watching The Christmas Story, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Watch out, you'll poke your eye out! [rolleyes] I tell, great movies but every time I watch that one, bond or just about anything with Ahhhnold... in it or a bond flick, I cringe at what laws may come next.

So I know this is an ancient thread but didn't see much point in starting a brand new one with the same title. I'm wondering why online sites prohibit the sale of certain air rifles? I wanted to buy a Benjamin nitro Titan but all the sites I've looked at say no sales to ma. Any ideas why?

So I know this is an ancient thread but didn't see much point in starting a brand new one with the same title. I'm wondering why online sites prohibit the sale of certain air rifles? I wanted to buy a Benjamin nitro Titan but all the sites I've looked at say no sales to ma. Any ideas why?

Because its Mass.

Doucha Coakley. It'll be airsoft and water guns if she's Governor.

When I learned of the law pertaining to airguns and children in MA, I realized I couldn't raise a family here. A good part of my boyhood was spent shooting a pellet gun on my own. My dad went with me to a hunter safety class and then we both got pellet guns.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

On an unrelated note, Nitro Piston is the way to go for your first air rifle.

Do not name mail order dealers willing to ship to Massachusetts.[sad]

BTW, there is a [thread=221533]thread for local shops who stock air rifles[/thread].

Back
Top Bottom