Air Force updates its dress code policy to include turbans, beards and hijabs

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
(CNN)The US Air Force has updated its dress code policy to outline a clear approval process for Sikhs and Muslims who want to serve while wearing their articles of faith.
Under the new guidelines, which were finalized last week, Sikhs and Muslims can seek a religious accommodation to wear turbans, beards, unshorn hair and hijabs, and expect to be approved as long as their appearance is "neat and conservative," except under extremely limited circumstances.
The final review for the accommodation must take place within 30 days for cases in the United States, and 60 days for all other cases, according to the guidelines. And for the most part, airmen can expect the religious accommodation to follow them through their career.
Previously, Sikhs and Muslims serving in the Air Force individually requested religious accommodations that were granted on a case-by-case basis, but the approval process could be lengthy.

This update standardizes that process and outlines a formal timeline for approval.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could go wrong changing 50+ years of tradition to accommodate what 1%? Of the service.

Like xjma99 said Sikhs are cool. I just hate to see traditions falling.
The requirements should be more stringent, not less!! But then again, it is the chair force....back to my la-z-boy I go.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they update AFR 35-10 I want to see if they are going to allow others to have beards. This will be fun to watch during gas mask training or maybe they won't have to do that.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What part of, "Uniform" do these people not understand?
Sad part is that (at least in 2010ish timeframe) ADI36-2903 recognized the importance in an individual his individuality through the uniform.

Doesn’t make sense then or now, but I used it to successfully argue with mi First Sergeant about using my old BDU tank on my ABU coat.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't this remove all logical reasons for current military uniforms and short hair, clean shaven appearance?
  • Uniform look across entire personnel, removing individual style and creating a sense of equality.
  • Less grooming requirements, hence faster ready times.
  • No beards for gas masks.
  • No personal displays of political or religious affiliation that could create division among the ranks. Just the same uniform as everyone else.
I doesn't seem to make much sense in that context.

Last edited:

SgtHal75

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't this remove all logical reasons for current military units and short hair, clean shaven appearance?
  • Uniform look across entire personnel, removing individual style and creating a sense of equality.
  • Less grooming requirements, hence faster ready times.
  • No beards for gas masks.
  • No personal displays of political or religious affiliation that could create division among the ranks. Just the same uniform as everyone else.
I doesn't seem to make much sense in that context.
Yup. 100% percent correct. I don’t get this at all...It’s called “SERVING IN THE MILITARY”!!!! U leave your loved ones, career, And property behind and agree to SERVE!....including how u dress, reguardless of religious beliefs. When I was in if u wore civilian clothes to the chow hall on a Saturday and your shirt was untucked u would have an NCO or SNCO drag u outside and make sure u never come into the chow hall untucked again.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could go wrong changing 50+ years of tradition to accommodate what 1%? Of the service.

Like xjma99 said Sikhs are cool. I just hate to see traditions falling.
Sikhs have been allowed beards and turbans in U.S. military service since long before the uniform standards that are now being updated.

Top Bottom