Air Force Special Ops Units

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
A lot of people like to rag on the Air Force, maybe with good reason sometimes. But there are several units which are a part of the Special Ops community. If you are interested, here they are.

A lot of people like to rag on the Air Force, maybe with good reason sometimes. But there are several units which are a part of the Special Ops community. If you are interested, here they are.

I don't see combat weather listed.

This was eons ago, but when I deployed (an airborne task force) one of the slice elements we brought along was a USAF weather... detachment? I think? We did not bring a FAC, IIRC, because our indirect fire guys handled that.

They were about four guys. I remember they had really, really sexy-looking tents. Which might sound odd to non-military people, but in a world of GP mediums, where the cool kids had found a way to sleep in four-man SICUPs, those space-age Air Force tents looked really nifty.

Funny what you remember.

Clever marketing person in the Navy knows how to target 18-20something year olds with Call of Duty style loadout images:

special-ops-equipment-intro_DESK.jpg

1st ever recorded (drone I believe) MOH recipient was in the Air Force.👍🏻👍🏻

Clever marketing person in the Navy knows how to target 18-20something year olds with Call of Duty style loadout images:

special-ops-equipment-intro_DESK.jpg
Was confused by this at first as you said Navy until I saw image was from airforce.com. Navy doesn't use the RA-1 parachute. Still MT-2 until they go to MJ. Army uses the RA-1 and the Phantom O2 mask, but not the bottle. Only AF has that whole kit of RA-1, and Phantom mask and bottle. Oh, and the photo wasn't taken at 10,000 ft. The altimeter is an electronic analog MA-10 and parks the needle near 10k when off. Little trivia for you all.

I know way too much about that for a civilian leg.

I don't see combat weather listed.
I was curious about the same thing. I have a feeling that they may have been integrated into the Special Reconnaissance group but I can't verify that.

These 9, (nine) career fields are currently under Spec Ops Warfare umbrella for recruitment.

If you search Combat Weather it comes up in 26 related career fields.

Last edited:
My old boss was Air Force. He told me when he was in rifle training the shooting instructor started the first day with "Remember, if you have to use your rifle, the enemy has already made it thru the Marines and Army so you're pretty much screwed." 🤣

That video of the MOH engagement is insane. I cannot imagine dropping into 2-3ft of snow at night directly in front of two fortifications.

Was confused by this at first as you said Navy until I saw image was from airforce.com. Navy doesn't use the RA-1 parachute. Still MT-2 until they go to MJ. Army uses the RA-1 and the Phantom O2 mask, but not the bottle. Only AF has that whole kit of RA-1, and Phantom mask and bottle. Oh, and the photo wasn't taken at 10,000 ft. The altimeter is an electronic analog MA-10 and parks the needle near 10k when off. Little trivia for you all.

I know way too much about that for a civilian leg.

Oops. Not sure why I typo'd Navy. Good catch.

First week of boot camp in '79 we got the sales pitch for Air Force pararescure. These are the folks the drop in behind enemy lines to rescue downed pilots. Initial training was at least a year if I recall correctly. They were one of the few USAF units that carried weapons daily other than base security and LE.

First week of boot camp in '79 we got the sales pitch for Air Force pararescure. These are the folks the drop in behind enemy lines to rescue downed pilots. Initial training was at least a year if I recall correctly. They were one of the few USAF units that carried weapons daily other than base security and LE.
They are the ones that went out in 'the perfect storm' when the USCG wouldn't.

I thoroughly enjoy making fun of the airdales at least as much as anyone else, but -

Those Falcon jets and HH-3 Pelicans were not flown by the U.S. Postal Service.

Thanks for posting this. The movie, while that particular part was pretty hair-raising, did not show the true story which was even more incredible in light of the age of the Tamaroa.

Coasties deserve all the respect they get. Plus lots of free drinks.

Back
Top Bottom