Air Force graduation

Well, I got a phone call from him early this morning! Thankfully (as only those of us that have been through basic probably understand) it has been a lot tougher than he expected. Said they’ve probably pushed the deck two feet into the earth. Asked him if they had to “pay in advance” for the Christmas privileges and phone calls, but apparently the MTI’s plan to come around to collect tomorrow. As a father I wanted to tell him they’re going to haze his face off no matter what they tell them the reason is anyways - but as a fellow enlisted man...

Also asked him for his MTI’s name, since my recruiter friend got me some extra coloring books and the dollar store has cheap crayons (it’s the dollar store, after all) - but despite the pressure and stress he was smart enough to refuse to tell me. Ruining the fun I was going to have at his expense. Wise decision, don’t get me wrong...

Got another phone call today! Gas chamber yesterday - turns out he doesn’t like CS - and nobody likes the guy that panicked and couldn’t follow directions, costing them all an extra 30 seconds. Said the food is actually great, which might just be because Air Force, but is probably because after 6 weeks of boot camp ANY food is good. Could hear a flat hat absolutely smoking the dog piss out of someone in the background - common theme every time he calls, so that gives me hope that they’re not letting him get soft there. Was NOT amused by the recruiting post cards, but his MTI didn’t say anything about them - so either that joke is just played out now, or they saw it for what it was and wouldn’t do evil bidding on someone else’s behalf with one of their recruits. He DID have to suppress laughter at the horrifically bad advice all the guys at the station wrote on the unit Christmas card - things like “piss on their leg to establish dominance”, “slap the first one that interrupts breakfast”, “demand turn down service”.

Been much tougher than he expected - but anyone on this sub forum has probably BTDT, and we know the kind of character it builds.

Shit, can you guys imagine doing boot camp again? The yelling would help because I’m so damned deaf now, the bad food would irritate me enough to be surly enough to end up getting some good workouts. Or lengthy paperwork. The short sleep would be easy for most of us relatively older guys since we have to get up early to piss anyways. The smashed up back and knees, though, not a chance I could keep up with the young guys. Some parts would be so much easier - some parts I just don’t know that I could do nowadays. But I still get the honor of passing the torch, and I feel awesome about it!

ut I still get the honor of passing the torch, and I feel awesome about it!

As well you should! Glad to hear that the challenge still exists in boot camp, especially in the Air Force and Navy...lol

He will have changed by the time you see him next. No doubt a good thing. Wish him well and thank him for serving our still great country!

From what I`ve been told, and watching some YouTube videos, AF boot camp is a lot tougher today then when I went through it in 74. And it should be. Congrats to your son for choosing to serve.

Back
Top Bottom