• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Aimpoint PRO

I'm running an Aimpoint PRO on my Colt 6920. I want to add a 3x magnifier with flip-to-side mount. The Aimpoint 3x is $800 with a good FTS mount. Ouch. Surefire makes one that comes with a mount for $500. Still expensive. Has anyone had experience with the lesser brands? How well do they line up with the Aimpoint PRO? Durability? Or should I just suck it up and buy the top tier Aimpoint? I don't mind spending money on top quality gear, but if I can get a comparable result for less, that's good too. I just want to avoid airsoft level crap.

Chris

I have a Vortex VMX-3T on one of my ARs paired with an Aimpoint PRO and it works well. The only downside is I have it flip to the right, so the button to flip it out is mounted "backwards".
In any case, I think its pretty good for ~$160.

Here is a video showing the "backwards" button when flipping to the right (go to 40 second mark):

Last edited by a moderator:
Primary Arms has a 6X magnifier and multiple flip to side mount options, even giving you the height from top of rail to center of magnifier. Sorry I can't comment on it as I don't have a magnifier with my PRO. I've also never really heard anything bad about PA.

I just went through this headache. Here is the play by play and the outcome...

Bought vortex 3x, doesn't fit on upper (not rail) with BUIS and Aimpoint in QRP2. There is just not enough real estate on there as the vortex magnifier is mounted in the middle of the tube. Side note, Vortex is flip left, this sucks for right handed shooters as it blocks your peripheral vision when not using the magnification. You can reverse it to flip right but then the release is forward on the mount and not quick push button from the rear. The glass was nice but they need to offer a R or L flip option and mount the magnifier on the front so it hovers over the BUIS IMO. This would be a winner if they made those changes.

Next I bought a used Aimpoint 3x, good deal here on this board. I bought the LaRue LT755S to try and keep absolute co-witness. LaRue doesn't make a cantilever absolute mount for the Aimpoint so I went the with Bobro absolute cantilever mount. Turns out the Bobro mount in absolute actually isn't cantilever as advertised. They also only make a cantilever lower 1/3. Because of this the Bobro has the same issue, not enough real estate to fit everything on just the upper without hitting rail. Bobro and LaRue get returned.

Next I bought the LaRue LT755T and the LaRue LT129 and all is well in the world. This is lower 1/3 co-witness and I am fine with it. Looking back I am not sure why I was so bent on getting absolute co, really no idea...

In all I wasted about $50 in return shipping to the different stores and about 30 days of my life trying different shit. In the end I ate my own words, buy once cry once. FYI - you could buy direct from LaRue the packaged Aimpoint 3x and LT755T for $660 - http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-3x-magnifier-larue-tactical-qd-pivot-mount. I saved about $200 by buying the glass used and adding the mount. [STRIKE=update]Don't forget, if having BUIS is important with you the stock QRP2 mount will have to go to give you the room for everything. This will work and lineup with the previous magnifier - http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-cantilever-compm2-lt-129. [/STRIKE] - Update, I didn't actually test just the Aimpoint magnifier in the LT755T with the QRP2 mount. I will take a look tonight and get back to you but I feel that it won't fit as the QRP2 mounts near the middle of the 30mm tube on the PRO thus making it hang back, hitting the magnifier.

If you didn't already buy the pro you could save some money too. They offer the Pro in the LT129 fro $416. I got my PRO from AWS here on this board out of NH and it was a great deal, better than anything I've seen on the web since. But, if I had to go back I would buy it from Larue in their mount. It would have saved me over $100 buy getting it in their mount from the get go.

Pic from Larue but setup looks like this now -
aimpointa.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:
I just ordered the Aimpoint 3x magnifier through GG&G with their flip-to-side mount. I will provide a report when it arrives and I mount and test it out. If the snow ever melts.

Chris

I have the Aimpoint Pro red dot with the Primary Arms 3X w/flip mounts on an AR. It works just fine for me. Only had it on for about 6 months and probably 500 rds and no issues. Its listed at about $220 but I got it for a lot less, its on sale now for $140

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_3X_Long_Eye_Relief_Red_Dot_Magnifier_p/pa3xlersm01.htm
That looks like it could work. They have it mounted forward on the tube like the aimpoint so the mag tube hangs over the BUIS unlike the Vortex which takes up space in the middle of the tube.

Aimpoint -
zz216357.jpg

Primary Arms -
PA3XLERSM01-2T.jpg

Vortex -
XVOVMX3T.jpg

I use the Vortex fTS mount and never had an issue w peripheral vision, and I'm a righty.
I shoot with both eyes open and the mag flipped left just blocked out about 30* of my FOV. I just did not like it going left. I did like the quality of the glass and the mount was nice with the push button flip. Like I said, its a nice product. If they gave the option of left or right flip when you bought it for the mount and moved the attachment forward like the 2 above I think they would have a winner. Just my $.02.

I just ordered the Aimpoint 3x magnifier through GG&G with their flip-to-side mount. I will provide a report when it arrives and I mount and test it out. If the snow ever melts.

Chris
I think you will like the setup. The Aimpoint magnifier is crystal clear and super rugged in it's encased rubber.

I checked the lt755t mount with the qrp2. It will will on the upper withouth touching the rail and you can use your buis but you will have to remove the rear dust cover on the aimpoint pro. Othwise you will have to flip the mag to the side to open it. Your setup with cg&g should be similar.

I just went through this headache. Here is the play by play and the outcome...

Bought vortex 3x, doesn't fit on upper (not rail) with BUIS and Aimpoint in QRP2. There is just not enough real estate on there as the vortex magnifier is mounted in the middle of the tube. Side note, Vortex is flip left, this sucks for right handed shooters as it blocks your peripheral vision when not using the magnification. You can reverse it to flip right but then the release is forward on the mount and not quick push button from the rear. The glass was nice but they need to offer a R or L flip option and mount the magnifier on the front so it hovers over the BUIS IMO. This would be a winner if they made those changes.

Next I bought a used Aimpoint 3x, good deal here on this board. I bought the LaRue LT755S to try and keep absolute co-witness. LaRue doesn't make a cantilever absolute mount for the Aimpoint so I went the with Bobro absolute cantilever mount. Turns out the Bobro mount in absolute actually isn't cantilever as advertised. They also only make a cantilever lower 1/3. Because of this the Bobro has the same issue, not enough real estate to fit everything on just the upper without hitting rail. Bobro and LaRue get returned.

Next I bought the LaRue LT755T and the LaRue LT129 and all is well in the world. This is lower 1/3 co-witness and I am fine with it. Looking back I am not sure why I was so bent on getting absolute co, really no idea...

In all I wasted about $50 in return shipping to the different stores and about 30 days of my life trying different shit. In the end I ate my own words, buy once cry once. FYI - you could buy direct from LaRue the packaged Aimpoint 3x and LT755T for $660 - http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-3x-magnifier-larue-tactical-qd-pivot-mount. I saved about $200 by buying the glass used and adding the mount. [STRIKE=update]Don't forget, if having BUIS is important with you the stock QRP2 mount will have to go to give you the room for everything. This will work and lineup with the previous magnifier - http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-cantilever-compm2-lt-129. [/STRIKE] - Update, I didn't actually test just the Aimpoint magnifier in the LT755T with the QRP2 mount. I will take a look tonight and get back to you but I feel that it won't fit as the QRP2 mounts near the middle of the 30mm tube on the PRO thus making it hang back, hitting the magnifier.

If you didn't already buy the pro you could save some money too. They offer the Pro in the LT129 fro $416. I got my PRO from AWS here on this board out of NH and it was a great deal, better than anything I've seen on the web since. But, if I had to go back I would buy it from Larue in their mount. It would have saved me over $100 buy getting it in their mount from the get go.

Pic from Larue but setup looks like this now -
aimpointa.jpg

Good luck!

Got tired of being ignored by GG&G. A week went by and no shipping notification or order processing. I canceled my order by phone with them. Later in the day I ordered the equivalent package from LaRue Tactical. Had a confirmation number and shipping information in 30 minutes. I should see my mag and mount on Tuesday if the weather does not screw it up.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom