Aimpoint on AK-47?

Mass-diver

NES Member
Hi Guys,

I have a WASR-10, so far it seems like a nice rife and is pretty accurate. However, like many of these rifles, the sights (rear and front) don't line up quite right. I can compensate for this and shoot the rifle OK. Still, it has made me consider putting some optics on the rifle.

I was wondering what you thought about aimpoints on AKs? Any comments welcome. This is my SHTF rifle - I'm looking for reliability and performace in 25-100yard range.

If you think an Aimpoint would be a good idea, could you rec a specific model and mount?

Thanks!

ak.jpg

I put an Aimpoint knock off that I got off eBay on my AK; it works great in the 25 yard range for quick target acquisition but not much beyond that. That said I would also be curious to know if someone has put a legit Aimpoint on their AK.

I have an Ultra Dot on my Arsenal AK. I don't really need it on there, but I had the scope laying around anayways and it's a nice little addition.

What is the problem that you are having? Is it windage? Have you gotten a front site tool to adjust the windage?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=368914

Probably a canted front sight base (Century imports are notorious for them).

Easy fix though...

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

Another vote for the Kobra. Goes directly on the side mount. That's what I have on my AK. Just don't forget to turn it off after you shoot... Mine is an old one that takes these crazy expensive lithium AA's. The newer Kobras take more normal batteries.

You could try an Ultimak front end and a Trijicon Tripower, (that would be my choice)...

That was what I was thinking. The mount Ultimak sells for the Saiga is great.

An Aimpoint would be one of those optics worth more than the rifle. An aluminum C-more bodied is very rugged and the clarity of the dot is very nice.

Yikes! If you're going to go through the trouble of taking the rear sight out, at least replace it with a peep.

krebs-peep-489x370.jpg

I have the elevation-only one from Krebs and it's great. The pic is of the windage adjustable one, but you get the idea.

Yikes! If you're going to go through the trouble of taking the rear sight out, at least replace it with a peep.

krebs-peep-489x370.jpg

I have the elevation-only one from Krebs and it's great. The pic is of the windage adjustable one, but you get the idea.

I like the RPK/PKM style myself...

http://www.ak-47.us/AK47_Sights-Scopes.php

A word of advice to anyone considering replacing the rear sight... they can be a PITA getting off... it might require 4 hands to remove.

Some vendors sell a tool designed for removing it (not worth it for a one time project), it looks similar to an old style "church key" can opener (some builders have made the tool themselves by modifying a can opener).

The easiest way I've found is by clamping the rifle down on a drill press and use a small diameter bit to compress the spring enough to take the tension off the sight.

Interesting. The front sight just doesn't line up with the rear. Someone at my range told me it was typical of many Romanian AKs and was not fixable.

Not true. I rework a lot of Romys. My method is to use the more-modern tension pins like the Galils use.

Magellen010.jpg

These pins aren't historically-accurate if you are the purist type, but in my opinion as a machinist, you won't get a cleaner look, or a more-accurate fix. They certainly look better than the mashed and mutilated pins in that fsb tutorial, huh? [wink]

I have a friend who used the Ultimak mount with an Aimpoint on his East German AKM as a contractor in Iraq, he was very happy with it's performance. He used it for two or three months, before they were issued Bushy M-4's. Lots of guys on his team used them with Aimpoints and EOTech's.

I have a friend who used the Ultimak mount with an Aimpoint on his East German AKM as a contractor in Iraq, he was very happy with it's performance. He used it for two or three months, before they were issued Bushy M-4's. Lots of guys on his team used them with Aimpoints and EOTech's.

Yup - the AK variants I've seen with the Ultimak have been impressive.

Here's a link from THR on that very subject: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=322923

+1 on the Kobra.
I have one on one of mine and I really like it. It fits like it was made for it....because it was.

rs.jpg

Called up Century Arms the other day and they offered to fix the cant. I sent it to them and I'm awaiting their repair. I'll post-up when the rifle returns.

Rifle came back in the mail from CAs - cant appears to be fixed. No charge, they paid the return shipping, rifle was gone (door to door) 2.5 weeks.

Hi Guys,

I have a WASR-10, so far it seems like a nice rife and is pretty accurate. However, like many of these rifles, the sights (rear and front) don't line up quite right. I can compensate for this and shoot the rifle OK. Still, it has made me consider putting some optics on the rifle.

I was wondering what you thought about aimpoints on AKs? Any comments welcome. This is my SHTF rifle - I'm looking for reliability and performace in 25-100yard range.

If you think an Aimpoint would be a good idea, could you rec a specific model and mount?

Thanks!

ak.jpg
You say your sights don't line up. Have you tried using an AK/SKS sight adjusting tool. It is a simple C-clamp tool that moves the front sight for both windage and elevation. They cost $10-$15. It is a most valuable tools fixing what so many AK and SKS shooters complain about.

@Kivaari ?

The famous Kivaari?

If so, your reputation precedes you. And Welcome Tom!
~Enbloc

Last edited:
You say your sights don't line up. Have you tried using an AK/SKS sight adjusting tool. It is a simple C-clamp tool that moves the front sight for both windage and elevation. They cost $10-$15. It is a most valuable tools fixing what so many AK and SKS shooters complain about.

FIVE YEARS LATER!

OP is online right now. Let's see if he replies...

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

ak.jpg

Holy post resurrection. Might as well add my 2 cents lol

Preface this by saying, I have a Zastava EAA PAP so there are more options out there for a WASR.

I used to use an Ultimak railed gasblock with a Primary Arms Micro and it was okay. I would assume an Aimpoint would be fine.

I currently use a TWS Dog Leg rail with an EOtech; which I prefer the larger field of view over the Micros.

20210203_202731.jpg20210203_202743.jpg

Holy post resurrection. Might as well add my 2 cents lol

Preface this by saying, I have a Zastava EAA PAP so there are more options out there for a WASR.

I used to use an Ultimak railed gasblock with a Primary Arms Micro and it was okay. I would assume an Aimpoint would be fine.

I currently use a TWS Dog Leg rail with an EOtech; which I prefer the larger field of view over the Micros.

View attachment 597799View attachment 597800
I put that TWS on my Arsenal and my optic would absolutely not hold zero, that works good for you?

Back
Top Bottom