AG Renewal DENIED

Just got the news today. Anyone dealt with the appeal process? Anyone been denied on a renewal? This is ridiculous. Now I have to go grovel for the rights that should have been afforded to me from the get go!
icon_mad.gif
. First approval took 3 months to be "reviewed" the denial that was "carefully reviewed" took less then 10 days from the day I mailed it

Don't ask for legal advise on a public internet forum. It's bad strategy. Instead I suggest you request the mods dissappear this thread and you speak to an attorney privately who specializes in this type of law.

Anything you say in this forum can work against you.

Don't ask for legal advise on a public internet forum. It's bad strategy. Instead I suggest you request the mods dissappear this thread and you speak to an attorney privately who specializes in this type of law.

Anything you say in this forum can work against you.

What kind of proof is out there to support this? I see at least 2 threads a week where this would apply. I would expect a ton more internet related bad outcomes than the one or two I have heard about.

I do understand the concern regarding "May issue" but with all the scurrying into darkness that goes on every time a serious question gets asked only helps the other side.

I don't see any need to delete/hide this thread. Too many people have much too much tinfoil around here.

RI AG regularly Denies people on application or renewal . . . and the reason is almost always "insufficient reason" (in his eyes). There is no shame here nor any crime . . . the RI AG simply doesn't believe in the 2nd-A, that's all.

To the OP, contact Rob Boudrie or Atty Keith Langer for thoughts and assistance as to how to proceed with an appeal . . . and be prepared to redo this upon every renewal!!

Good luck!

I know of one denial that occurred on a renewal because

(a) Lack of documentation of business related need. In the past, this applicant just referred to the previous reason and it was accepted. Most recently, new documentation was requested.

(b) The RI AG told this applicant he did not send in his NRA certificate. This applicant believes he did but someone made a mistake - either the AGs office or the applicant.

Once the applicant send in "a" and "b" above, the renewal as promptly processed.

I suggest you follow up and appeal. The best explaination for the "have you ever been denied an LTC?" on the MA LTC form is "but it was eventually issued".

If you need an attorney, Keith is the only MA gun lawyer I know who is also a member of the RI bar.

Last edited:
What kind of proof is out there to support this? I see at least 2 threads a week where this would apply. I would expect a ton more internet related bad outcomes than the one or two I have heard about.

I do understand the concern regarding "May issue" but with all the scurrying into darkness that goes on every time a serious question gets asked only helps the other side.
Did you apply in your town? They are shall issue, unless your in one of those towns you have to beat your head into the wall to get an application.

It's the "Rhode Island Laws" forum so I assume the OP is talking about RI. [wink]
Didn't know if he was a RI resident applying out of state or something.

I agree with Rob Boudrie OP should appeal to the AG. You will get a hearing with BCI Chief Chin. Also make sure you get the denial with reasons in writing. That will help if you decide to move ahead with other actions.

I would not recommend engaging a lawyer at this point. Go through the appeal process first, and get the denial in writing. Remember that the AG is "may" issue, and they have wide discretion in whether to issue at all, so a legal challenge is not likely to be successful, and will just waste your time and money.

You might also consider applying through your town, especially if it is one that is known to issue.

As a last resort, there are a few firearms lawyers in RI who might be an alternative to Langer. PM me if you need the info.

Thanks for all the responses and help. I dont see the need to delete since there is no pending litigation. The AG is "May Issue" and they are pretty clear on that. Going to call for an interview and see how that goes. more hoops [rolleyes]. Didn't think a renewal would be so difficult. The AG website claims 98% approval rate on renewals....

It would be helpful to know why they denied your renewal request. I had my renewal initially denied last fall due to faulty paperwork - my bad. Once I rectified that error I had my permit pretty quickly. From what I've seen most people with an actual denial due to something like an insufficient reason have that denial reversed upon appeal.

It would be helpful to know why they denied your renewal request. I had my renewal initially denied last fall due to faulty paperwork - my bad. Once I rectified that error I had my permit pretty quickly. From what I've seen most people with an actual denial due to something like an insufficient reason have that denial reversed upon appeal.

Did they notify you of that in the letter or did you have to call/meet to find out? They sent me a pretty standard format denial letter.
Lack of need, skill, suitability etc. even though I met all the requirements and the need has not changed from the previous permit.

Did they notify you of that in the letter or did you have to call/meet to find out? They sent me a pretty standard format denial letter.
Lack of need, skill, suitability etc. even though I met all the requirements and the need has not changed from the previous permit.
They sent me a nice letter telling me that my application had been denied because I failed to meet the requirements. I forgot to include one of my notarized reference letters. I just swung by the AG's office, dropped it of and had my new license shortly after.

To anyone following this thread. Always call to find out why you were denied. The letter states I was denied for basically everything that factors into the AG's decision. If I want to appeal, I can call for an interview. Well I called and was missing one minor piece of the app. The Deputy Chief was actually very helpful and cordial. I need to mail in the correction and he said it should go through no problem. So I guess dont give up at the denial letter, follow up, it may be something simple. They should have sent me a letter stating the application was incomplete not denied IMO. hope this helps anyone going through the process.

S.N., that's good to hear.

Sucks that they can't tell you why you were denied in their initial denial letter. It costed you and them time and effort to sort out a simple issue.

Stupid government bureaucrats.

appeal process

Just got the news today. Anyone dealt with the appeal process? Anyone been denied on a renewal? This is ridiculous. Now I have to go grovel for the rights that should have been afforded to me from the get go!
icon_mad.gif
. First approval took 3 months to be "reviewed" the denial that was "carefully reviewed" took less then 10 days from the day I mailed it

Having just been approved for renewal, I can tell you I have been denied for approval before. The most important thing is to be meek, make yourself be a person who would not even think about using a firearm except in a most serious situation when your life was at stake.

I believe that once you have a permit, it is considered property. As such, denial of "property" requires proof of misuse or misconduct (or similar concept) AND due process. I believe you would have a lawsuit on that basis. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
had my renewal initially denied last fall due to faulty paperwork - my bad.
Welcome to the club. We are both members.

The key tidbit of info is that the AG does not respond with "You were missing a business letter/reference/AG cert", but with a form letter stating "you are denied because you do not meet our requirements".

I know of one denial that occurred on a renewal because

(a) Lack of documentation of business related need. In the past, this applicant just referred to the previous reason and it was accepted. Most recently, new documentation was requested.

(b) The RI AG told this applicant he did not send in his NRA certificate. This applicant believes he did but someone made a mistake - either the AGs office or the applicant.

Once the applicant send in "a" and "b" above, the renewal as promptly processed.

I suggest you follow up and appeal. The best explaination for the "have you ever been denied an LTC?" on the MA LTC form is "but it was eventually issued".

If you need an attorney, Keith is the only MA gun lawyer I know who is also a member of the RI bar.

This may not help you but it may help others. I always attach copy of my Life Membership NRA card to any renewal or any application (gun related). I was never denied.

Back
Top Bottom