• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AG Office: Sig Sauer MCX (Orlando) is still legal to own and sell

Reptile

NES Member
I just called the AG office. I repeated the information in the press release that Maura's decision to ban AR15's and AK47's was due to the Orlando shooting. The man who took to call said that if the Sig Sauer is not an exact copy of an AR15 or AK47 - it is still legal to own and buy. I told him that it was the gun used in the Orlando shooting and asked why AR15's have been singled out if the Sig Sauer MCX was the gun used. He did not have an answer.

I also asked him what a person can do if they have an AR15 lower receiver that was purchased before the July 20th ban but not yet registered in MIRCS. He said it would be a problem if it was registered now even if it was owned before the 20th.

[rofl] I just hope that you keep his advice as "entertainment" you should have asked him something technical like bolt design etc.

I also asked him what a person can do if they have an AR15 lower receiver that was purchased before the July 20th ban but not yet registered in MIRCS. He said it would be a problem if it was registered now even if it was owned before the 20th.

This right here ticks me off, registered or not if you OWNED/HAD POSSESSION/TOOK POSSESSION THROUGH A MASS DEALER and can prove that prior to said date it SHOULD BE GTG. Like in my case I had a lower that I have a receipt for, that I was under the impression was FA-10ed by the dealer but it turns out it was not. I registered on the 20th, if they tell me thats too late I'd spend every dime I have taking that to court.

I just called the AG office. I repeated the information in the press release that Maura's decision to ban AR15's and AK47's was due to the Orlando shooting. The man who took to call said that if the Sig Sauer is not an exact copy of an AR15 or AK47 - it is still legal to own and buy. I told him that it was the gun used in the Orlando shooting and asked why AR15's have been singled out if the Sig Sauer MCX was the gun used. He did not have an answer.

Probably should have stated you would be recording the conversation for clarification, saved all of it .... and posted it here.

Is it possible to get into One Ashburton Place without an appointment?

I think it might be better to show up in person to ask questions. Get a hundred gun owners in line each day to pester them and just generally be a pain in the neck.

Not sure he knew what it was.

The number is at the bottom of this page in Boston...

http://www.mass.gov/ago/about-the-ago/

that same pages states:

Note: The Attorney General’s Office is not authorized to provide legal advice or representation to individuals. We may suggest that you find a private attorney to help you. If so, we can also provide information on resources that are available to help you locate an attorney.

the guy you talked to may as well be a circus clown or a comedian, because whatever they say has 0 legal weight.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it might be better to show up in person to ask questions. Get a hundred gun owners in line each day to pester them and just generally be a pain in the neck.

see my earlier comment, they don't give "legal advice" [rofl]

I should totally run down the street and get Framingham "phsychic license" (it's real, it's like $20) and give people a hot line for $1/min [rofl] Comrades, you want to know what to do ... in small script "this is not legal advice ..." [rofl]

Maura has clearly bit off more than she can chew here. Her office can't even repeat what she said. Them stating that gun which are not AR15 copies are still legal shows her stupidity of blaming AR15's. Maybe she needs to issue a new statement that the Sig Sauer MCX is illegal too... and so it this gun, and that gun. Where would it end?

Last edited:
I think that is a great idea. Her aids have no idea how her edict can be explained. She just made stuff up. Nobody can explain the logic she is using. All the nonsense that will be used to justify this BS should be used against her in court. If you state that you are recording a phone call in Mass - you are totally legal to record and share the recording.

Maura has clearly bit off more than she can chew here. Her office can't even repeat what she said. Them stating that gun which are not AR15 copies are still legal shows her stupidity of blaming AR15's. Maybe she needs to issue a new statement that the Sig Sauer MCX is illegal too... and so it this gun, and that gun. Where would it end?
I'm trying to find it, but somewhere someone posted the notice that she sent to our various state representatives. In the notice I believe there is a line about having people contact their office for questions..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would never suggest breaking the law and that would be breaking the law.

However repeated protests at her home might be something I would consider.

Black Lives Matter surrounded the governors mansion in some state.

What would happen if 1,000 protesters showed up at Maura's house?

It's not like her address is a state secret.

I have even seen it mentioned here before.

It's public information.

They're so full of shit. According to the AGO's own guidance it doesn't need to be an "exact copy." They even published a "similarity test," not an "exact copy test." Not to mention that there are many more "named guns" in the law besides ARs and AKs.

Did you ask him to put it in writing?

Last edited:

Yes. You just have to go through security. Whether or not you'll find someone willing to talk to you is another story.

They're so full of shit. According to the AGO's own guidance it doesn't need to be an "exact copy." They even published a "similarity test," not an "exact copy test." Not to mention that there are many more "named guns" in the law besides ARs and AKs.

Did you ask him to put it in writing?

Not that many more though. It's just one AR-15, a few AKs, beretta AR70, FAL, Mac 10, Steyr AUG, Tec 9, and "street sweepers."

I told him that it was the gun used in the Orlando shooting and asked why AR15's have been singled out if the Sig Sauer MCX was the gun used. He did not have an answer.

HAVENT WE LEARNED ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRY TO "EDUCATE" THEM ON THE FOOLISHNESS OF THIS LAW?

DO YOU NOT THINK HER AIDES ARE KEEPING A TALLY OF ALL THE "LOOPHOLES" LEFT FOR THEM TO PATCH UP?

Not that many more though. It's just one AR-15, a few AKs, beretta AR70, FAL, Mac 10, Steyr AUG, Tec 9, and "street sweepers."

My point is that apparently her minions don't even understand her guidance.

HAVENT WE LEARNED ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRY TO "EDUCATE" THEM ON THE FOOLISHNESS OF THIS LAW?

DO YOU NOT THINK HER AIDES ARE KEEPING A TALLY OF ALL THE "LOOPHOLES" LEFT FOR THEM TO PATCH UP?

Perhaps they are but it only makes the look like fools when they try to explain their madness.

I would never suggest breaking the law and that would be breaking the law.

However repeated protests at her home might be something I would consider.

100 gun owners milling about in the reception area of the AG's Office would cause her some irritation and distraction.
Whatever we are going to do, it's going to have to be a whole lot more than just gathering peacefully outside the gates of the statehouse. I'll be there regardless on Saturday, but we better come up with a serious, sustained, "in-their-faces" strategy or the boots will be on our necks forever. [angry]

Whatever we are going to do, it's going to have to be a whole lot more than just gathering peacefully outside the gates of the statehouse. I'll be there regardless on Saturday, but we better come up with a serious, sustained, "in-their-faces" strategy or the boots will be on our necks forever. [angry]

Maybe if we conduct ourselves like Black Lives Matter, we will get a talk with the governor in his mansion.
Obama invited Black Lives Matter for a number of visits in the White House.

Maybe if we conduct ourselves like Black Lives Matter, we will get a talk with the governor in his mansion.
Obama invited Black Lives Matter for a number of visits in the White House.
It may just take that level of commitment and effort... less the law-breaking and violence, of course.

Back
Top Bottom