AG Andrea Joy Campbell Joins Coalition in Support of New York Law Banning Guns in Places of Worship

Reptile

NES Member
Coalition Argues That States Have Authority To Protect Sensitive Places From Gun Violence

BOSTON — As part of her commitment to combatting gun violence, Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell joined a multistate coalition of 18 attorneys general in filing an amicus brief in support of New York’s law prohibiting the carrying of firearms in places of worship and religious observation.

The brief asks the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit to reverse a lower court decision in Hardaway v. Nigrelli that barred enforcement of New York’s law prohibiting firearms in places of worship and religious observation. In its brief, the coalition of states argues that New York’s law is consistent with prior U.S. Supreme Court precedent, and that the district court’s decision enjoining the law undermines states’ authority to limit the possession and use of firearms in places where people exercise their constitutionally protected right to worship, like churches, synagogues, and mosques.

“Our leaders need to do more to ensure our residents feel safe from gun violence, especially in deeply personal places for worship and religious observation,” said AG Campbell. “My colleagues and I are urging the Court to reverse this opinion, and to recognize that states retain authority to protect these sacred spaces, so that our residents can continue to express their identity and practice religion without fear of violence or threat.”

The brief explains that although the U.S. Supreme Court recently altered the judicial analysis for Second Amendment claims in N.Y. State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, the Court’s decision did not upend the states’ long-standing authority to regulate the carrying of firearms in certain places. The Court reaffirmed in Bruen that the Second Amendment has never given Americans an unrestricted right to carry loaded firearms in all public places; instead, states may enact a variety of regulations to combat the problem of gun violence, including solutions tailored to local needs.

The coalition also argues that places of worship are increasingly targets of gun violence, which may dissuade people from attending religious services and otherwise exercising their First Amendment rights.

In her inaugural address, AG Campbell announced her unwavering commitment to defend Massachusetts’ common-sense gun laws, and to advocate for safer and healthier communities across the state.

Under Massachusetts law, individuals are required to have a license to carry a firearm in public. Massachusetts law prohibits some applicants from receiving a license based on criminal history and other factors. For applicants not categorically prohibited from obtaining a license, Massachusetts police chiefs have the authority to deny an application or revoke or suspend a license to carry on a determination that the applicant is unsuitable because the applicant would pose a risk to public safety if licensed to carry a firearm.

Joining AG Campbell, in filing the amicus brief are the Attorneys General of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Push it.
I'm not worried about it at my church (Pastor is openly pro-2a) and it will create a ripe case for both a 1A and 2A challenge

The only thing my Pastor has ever said to me when he found out I carry during church service is "Thank you".

No one likes it when a church pushes their values on its own members, why is it ok for the Gov to push its values on us? Screw, I'm Mandalorian - weapons are my religion.

iu

The only thing my Pastor has ever said to me when he found out I carry during church service is "Thank you".

No one likes it when a church pushes their values on its own members, why is it ok for the Gov to push its values on us? Screw, I'm Mandalorian - weapons are my religion.
Disagree - it is the job of a good, Bible believing, Bible teaching church to push it's (Biblical) values on the congregation. If not, it's just a shitty social club.

Why were two swords enough? - that is what was needed to defend against attackers on the roads. Jesus commands them to go forth prepared to defend life.

If your "Christian" church doesn't teach true biblical principle then it is your duty to move the church to follow the Bible or knock the dust off you sandals if they are irredeemable.

As far as the Gov pushing it's values on us, remember for most of the left the government is their god!

There is a firearms instructor on this site who still is or was a preacher. While up on the pulpit, he carried a G23 with prebans under his cloak at all times. I was told this by him a while ago when I took my BFS course. With so many choices now available, I'm sure he has switched to something smaller with equal capacity to protect his flock from evil people, including those like the AG. I'm sure if this passes, it will be ignored by many, if not all!

What if the place of worships wants the parish to be armed, who has authority.

NOBODY, has a right to determine who has Constitutional Rights and when and where they can be implemented.

Coalition Argues That States Have Authority To Protect Sensitive Places From Gun Violence

BOSTON — As part of her commitment to combatting gun violence, Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell joined a multistate coalition of 18 attorneys general in filing an amicus brief in support of New York’s law prohibiting the carrying of firearms in places of worship and religious observation.

The brief asks the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit to reverse a lower court decision in Hardaway v. Nigrelli that barred enforcement of New York’s law prohibiting firearms in places of worship and religious observation. In its brief, the coalition of states argues that New York’s law is consistent with prior U.S. Supreme Court precedent, and that the district court’s decision enjoining the law undermines states’ authority to limit the possession and use of firearms in places where people exercise their constitutionally protected right to worship, like churches, synagogues, and mosques.

“Our leaders need to do more to ensure our residents feel safe from gun violence, especially in deeply personal places for worship and religious observation,” said AG Campbell. “My colleagues and I are urging the Court to reverse this opinion, and to recognize that states retain authority to protect these sacred spaces, so that our residents can continue to express their identity and practice religion without fear of violence or threat.”

The brief explains that although the U.S. Supreme Court recently altered the judicial analysis for Second Amendment claims in N.Y. State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, the Court’s decision did not upend the states’ long-standing authority to regulate the carrying of firearms in certain places. The Court reaffirmed in Bruen that the Second Amendment has never given Americans an unrestricted right to carry loaded firearms in all public places; instead, states may enact a variety of regulations to combat the problem of gun violence, including solutions tailored to local needs.

The coalition also argues that places of worship are increasingly targets of gun violence, which may dissuade people from attending religious services and otherwise exercising their First Amendment rights.

In her inaugural address, AG Campbell announced her unwavering commitment to defend Massachusetts’ common-sense gun laws, and to advocate for safer and healthier communities across the state.

Under Massachusetts law, individuals are required to have a license to carry a firearm in public. Massachusetts law prohibits some applicants from receiving a license based on criminal history and other factors. For applicants not categorically prohibited from obtaining a license, Massachusetts police chiefs have the authority to deny an application or revoke or suspend a license to carry on a determination that the applicant is unsuitable because the applicant would pose a risk to public safety if licensed to carry a firearm.

Joining AG Campbell, in filing the amicus brief are the Attorneys General of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.

AG Campbell sure seems hell bent on being anti 2a; but doesn't seem to give two shits on sexual assault / rape.

Maybe that's because it's her own brothers favorite past time!

Disagree - it is the job of a good, Bible believing, Bible teaching church to push it's (Biblical) values on the congregation. If not, it's just a shitty social club.

Why were two swords enough? - that is what was needed to defend against attackers on the roads. Jesus commands them to go forth prepared to defend life.

If your "Christian" church doesn't teach true biblical principle then it is your duty to move the church to follow the Bible or knock the dust off you sandals if they are irredeemable.

As far as the Gov pushing it's values on us, remember for most of the left the government is their god!

100% agree. But I’ve seen several articles lately about random people getting passed off at a church for ( usually anti LGTB) harassment biblical stances that it pushes to its members. That’s what I was referring to.

So taking that at face value , her goal is to make damn sure that the entire place is totally without the ability to fight back.
2tpbp0.jpg

What if the place of worships wants the parish to be armed, who has authority.

NOBODY, has a right to determine who has Constitutional Rights and when and where they can be implemented.

In the NY and NJ laws they passed, then churches, synagogues etc don’t have that open, the ban has no exceptions except for cops and retired cops if I remember correctly. And both laws were so poorly thought out even for aunties, priests live on church grounds, so they can’t even have a gun in church, their residence, etc the ban eliminates their 2A rights nearly completely. The ban in NY is so broad and poorly designed it captured civil war re-enactments. The ban on carry in Times Square (and NY defined Times Square as an area significantly larger than what anyone considers times square) it includes a lot of apartment where people live. So the NY law bars them from having a gun for home defense

Houchul just put out her state budget and it she includes a bunch of changes to the sensitive places to exempt re enactments, etc (it’s still a very unconstitutional law though)

Back
Top Bottom