• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Aftermarket Glock mags

I see a lot of aftermarket mags for the G19. Which do you recommend? I see ProMag, KCI, Magpul, etc. I have all factory Glock mags but the prices on some of these are much better.
Thanks

I have used both Magpul and ETS mags and would buy either brand again. The ETS ones are clear, which is a nice feature.

Both go on sale for half the price of OEM mags on occasion.

Other than factory I have magpul and ets. Only had one ets mag fail and that was due to a weak spring.

Mecgar if they make them. I have 4 ten rounders for my 92FS and they’ve been reliable thus far.

Pro-Mags are junk. A co-worker (firearms instructor) said he tried some of the MagPul. I think the only issue that he had was that they didn't drop free like the Glock mags.

I've never had an issue with any Magpul mags be them flush fit or extended. To me they are the best non Glock Glock mags.

ETS are good too, but I have had issues with the extended mags in .40. I can't say how flush fit in .40 would do. They also have extended mags in 9mm, but the Magpul ones are so good I never bothered.

Don't bother with any mags other than Magpul or ETS. You may get lucky with the Korean mags in a PCC, but in a pistol with a tilting barrel they are a disaster.

Check these guys out.
OEM Glock 10rd Mags
The Glock 17, 10 rd mags are $11.50 each and in stock.
I've bought them for my Glock 19 at $11.50 before as well.
I've ordered from them before without any problems.

Thanks a bunch for this. Wow.

Just ordered some of these. OEM mags for home defense and my Magpuls for the range. The Magpuls have been great, good quality and no problems after 2nd range visit. Time will tell.

I have heard positive and negative on just about every aftermarket brand. Considering the price, why take a chance and run anything other than original?

Pro-Mags are junk. A co-worker (firearms instructor) said he tried some of the MagPul. I think the only issue that he had was that they didn't drop free like the Glock mags.
My 9mm pmags drop free from my gen 4 glock 19 just fine.

I have heard positive and negative on just about every aftermarket brand. Considering the price, why take a chance and run anything other than original?
Cuz the price is low enough that they're worth trying and also because Glock has done a piss poor job of offering extended 10mm and .45 mags for a long time.

Some thought re Magpul Glock mags.

1) The only have witness holes at 15 or 17 rounds depending on the mag. Nothing in between.
2) The interwebs is full of measurements so you can drill your own at 10 rounds. Huge if you shoot IDPA or any other match where 10 rounds is the max.
3) Magpul sells a capacity limiting spacer that limits the mags to 10 rounds.
4) There is no case law on this, but I don't see why a Magpul mag that has the spacer in place, with the floor plate glued and a rivet in place wouldn't be considered to be a 10 round mag.
5)Every MagPul Glock mag has worked as well as OEM - in other words, flawless.

I like witness holes for every round. So for the money, I'll just stick with Glock mags.

I don't know if this will help any of you in the Northeast or not.

Glock has a competition program called GSSF, they travel around the country and set up their equipment at your range, and then run competition staffed by local RO's. It's a marketing program, they give away guns and merchandise.

My local club hosted its first one last year, and just did it again a month or so ago, (we're already on the books for next year). It's three "stages", set up multiple times, and you can enter in various divisions. We had 800+ entries this last time. Each entry costs $30 plus a fee to join GSSF. I joined last year with a two year membership, so that fee didn't apply this year. With a two year membership comes the card to buy a Glock at "blue label" pricing. I shot five divisions this last time, I think I was eligible to shoot 7 or 8.

At the match, they have armorers. If you have two malfunctions with your firearm, you go to the armorers, they'll fix it before you shoot again. If you just want to take your gun to them and have them go over it - they'll do that. I had my slide internals replaced for my oldest G34, (it's a Gen 2.5). It took him less than 5 minutes and no more effort on my part than asking.

All that being said, the two times that I've been, they brought in BOXES of lightly used magazines for sale. $10 per mag.

Last year I bought (15) standard capacity mags for G17/G34; I've had no issues with them. This year I bought 20 more.

Some thought re Magpul Glock mags.

1) The only have witness holes at 15 or 17 rounds depending on the mag. Nothing in between.
2) The interwebs is full of measurements so you can drill your own at 10 rounds. Huge if you shoot IDPA or any other match where 10 rounds is the max.
3) Magpul sells a capacity limiting spacer that limits the mags to 10 rounds.
4) There is no case law on this, but I don't see why a Magpul mag that has the spacer in place, with the floor plate glued and a rivet in place wouldn't be considered to be a 10 round mag.
5)Every MagPul Glock mag has worked as well as OEM - in other words, flawless.

I like witness holes for every round. So for the money, I'll just stick with Glock mags.
The 21 round pmag has witness at 10, 15, and 21.

glock oem mags are under $25 each. Not sure at that price I would skin flint.

Magpuls are like $13 a pop (or less?) and work just as well, at least the G17 and G19 ones that I've tried. My "free america" cache would have more magpuls in it if I didn't already own
a metric shit ton of glock OEM mags.

-Mike

I have some ETS G19 10rd compliant mags. Stiff as hell at first, but do break in. They do bulge a bit and won't drop free while loaded near capacity, similar to a Unotch. They bulge too much in my opinion, to the point of unintended loading results if you aren't paying attention...

Won't touch Promag given all the issues I've had in the past with them. I've had two 7rd mags for a Kahr P9 that would barely fit into the magwell, even when unloaded. I mean, how can you make something that off spec? They were also oddly a quarter inch longer than OEM 7rd mags, leaving an annoying gap between the grip and mag finger rest.

No personal experience with Magpul, but lots of youtube gun people are generally OK with them. I'd try them out if the deal was good enough, but otherwise haven't found something as good as OEM yet. That goes for all the pistols I own. OEM just seem to work better.

From what I can measure, new OEM 10 round G19 mags are like 0.02" to 0.03" shorter (mag catch cutout to top of baseplate) than the OEM 15-round mags of any age, which makes them very difficult to seat, and a very tight fit, with some aftermarket magwells. Edge case and you may not care but I have noticed that the Magpul 10-round magazines retain the length of the "normal" OEM mags in that a seated magazine has some play to it even with the magwells I'm talking about. I don't have enough thousands of rounds through the Magpul ones to know if they are reliable or not tbh.

Sort of off topic but tangentially related in that the Magpul ones are great with a Gen4 with a magwell (TTI or OP are the ones I've checked, i have to believe the Magpul magwell works great too).

If anyone knows the story behind why the OEM 10-rounders seem just a tiny bit shorter, I'd love to hear. Knowing how these things work I'm betting someone got an 11th round into the first design with a 100 ton press or something.

From what I can measure, new OEM 10 round G19 mags are like 0.02" to 0.03" shorter…
Glad someone brought this up, because I too have thought something definitely doesn't feel right when using OEM 10 round G19 magazines. Especially if you try to go 10+1, you can barely seat the magazine without giving it a really, really good whack. I don't have this problem with my Magpul magazines. I had an Agency Arms G19 that hated OEM 10 round mags when going 10+1. First shot almost always resulted in a FTF. Yet this wasn't an issue with Magpul mags or preban mags. Oh well, no idea if this info is remotely useful…just throwing it out there.

I have a pile of the PMAG 21's and like them a lot. I don't like extension bases and the OEM Glock 24 round mags are too long. PMAG 21s are perfect.

I have a few PMAG 10s incase I get retarded and go down into MA, they work well too.

Glad someone brought this up, because I too have thought something definitely doesn't feel right when using OEM 10 round G19 magazines. Especially if you try to go 10+1, you can barely seat the magazine without giving it a really, really good whack. I don't have this problem with my Magpul magazines. I had an Agency Arms G19 that hated OEM 10 round mags when going 10+1. First shot almost always resulted in a FTF. Yet this wasn't an issue with Magpul mags or preban mags. Oh well, no idea if this info is remotely useful…just throwing it out there.

Thanks for the reply, good to know about seating. I actually haven't experimented with any full 10 rounders on closed slides, again my experience stems from slide lock reloads with an aftermarket magwell. It would make sense if the mold was actually shorter that both would be affected (mag catch to baseplate, which sets my issue, and inner length, which would set the seating on a closed slide issue).

I forgot to add that I have a PMAG 12 round G26 mag that is perfect for flip-flop and board short carry.

Back
Top Bottom