• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AFTER the UV-5R?

namedpipes

NES Member
I'm enjoying my nifty new 5R.

I've found it can scan, although it is clumsy to use it for talking AND scanning.

It can also talk on the FRS freqs some others in the fam use and can eavesdrop on the local police freqs.

With a taller whip antenna it can reach repeaters at a reasonable distance, at least "in-town".

This will help me learn the lingo, how to use and program the little beasties and all.

My next goal is reliable communication without a repeater at a distances from 20 - 100 miles. The 5R is not up to that. Perhaps standing on a high hill and holding a yagi pointed in the right direction.

What sort of equipment is needed for that? Preferably on tech legal frequencies and having ability to do packet radio, but both those are nice-to-haves, not have-to-haves

If you stay with a Tech you will be limited. If you go to General you can have reliable comms from 5-1000 miles away and semi reliable depending on conditions up to 5000 miles. This is with voice and data transmissions. CW will get you even farther with a lot less.

I did attain general but currently most of the folks I want to reach at tech level.

What would be a good mobile capable, inexpensive trans for those distances, in general frequencies?

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

I've been looking into the TYT TH-9000. They're available for 2m, 1.25m and 70cm. Amazon has them for $170-200.

They're mobile, up to 45 watts.

Even with a 75w mobile on anything in UHF or VHF your not going to get the distances your looking for.

For reliable regional comms a radio capable of 40 and 80m with a NVIS antenna is the way to go

Last edited:
Even with a 75w mobile on anything in UHF or VHF your not going to get the distances your looking for.

For reliable regional comms a radio capable of 40 and 80m with a NVIS antenna is the way to go

Spoil sport! [laugh]

Having my heart set on a vehicle based mobile solution, could a mobile with that power (65w) cover a 25 - 30 mile radius in the terrain of central/eastern Mass? I know I'd need a repeater in between unless I traveled closer.

Spoil sport! [laugh]

Having my heart set on a vehicle based mobile solution, could a mobile with that power (65w) cover a 25 - 30 mile radius in the terrain of central/eastern Mass? I know I'd need a repeater in between unless I traveled closer.

On flat land/open ocean, 2m will travel ~1mi/W

Around here, things get a lot trickier, what with the hills, trees, and buildings and all.

With decent antenna height, however, 2m should get you 25-30mi @ 65W.

Spoil sport! [laugh]

Maybe, you won't know until you try.

How's this for an example, at my house i have a 50w transceiver going into an antenna on the peak of my roof approx 25' high and since i have a small hill behind my house between me and the Gloucester repeater i can only get in with a clear transmission if i run a full 50w. The repeater is only 8 miles as the crow flies.

Given that and the terrain of central Mass it doesn't look good.

A 5 watt handheld, 30 watt linear, and a high end roof mount antenna can reach a LONG way. I used a simple 10 amp regulated power supply at 13.8 volts. My PEP was estimated at about 400 watts. I forget the model, but it was a Diamond brand antenna that stood about 10' high. I mounted it on an old TV antenna mast that existed on my parent's chimney. The biggest problem wasn't reaching distant repeaters, but not tripping more than one.

How far? I could easily reach the Templeton (currently off-line) repeater from Framingham. It was a very clean signal, so I'm sure the range could be made longer. The real key is what kind of terrain lies between you. For most repeater work, I could keep the linear off and just use the 5 watts of the handheld.

That said, a true mobile unit (I have an old Icom IC-2410H) on the same power supply is a lot cleaner, and I have more precise control over the power output. My current home has a much better 'view' of the world, so I get fantastic range with a much shorter antenna. It's not as good as I had, but it's a lot less obvious there is a Ham station.

I have a mobile Tram 5/8 wave mag mount (3db gain) sitting on a large pizza pan in my attic and I can hit a repeater 9 miles away with my HT at 5 watts. I don't have a SWR meter yet so I have no idea if the antenna is matched or not.

alma7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom