• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

After shooting corrosive: Factory ammo cleans it?

Not sure how to title this question. Oh well, here goes. I was shooting my 303 the other day at the range. Friend of mine tells me, that if I shoot a few rounds of clean, factory ammo after shooting corrosive surplus stuff, that the factory ammo will "reem out" the corrosive remnants down the barrel. Any truth to this??

What's with all the "some guy told me that..." threads recently?

The answer is no.

NO! NO! NO!

[wink]

Your friend is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. The best thing to do after shooting corrosive ammo is to clean and lubricate the firearm. The second best thing if you can't to an immediate clean and lube is spray ammonia based window cleaner on on the breech face, bolt, and other components. Spray some down the barrel too. Then as soon as you can, clean the firearm thoroughly.

The ammonia neutralizes the mercury based primer, which is the corrosive part. It also strips all lubrication from the firearm, which is the bad part.

The real problem is the residue from the primers and moisture. If it's really humid, rust can start in a day or so. l

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Take your time cleaning your guns after shooting them or when the time comes to clean them.
Let me ask you something, Do you clean food plates the day after using them by serving more food on top of them?. Maybe in college..... The answer is no.
Salts are best cleaned with warm water.

Your friend is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. The best thing to do after shooting corrosive ammo is to clean and lubricate the firearm. The second best thing if you can't to an immediate clean and lube is spray ammonia based window cleaner on on the breech face, bolt, and other components. Spray some down the barrel too. Then as soon as you can, clean the firearm thoroughly.

The ammonia neutralizes the mercury based primer, which is the corrosive part. It also strips all lubrication from the firearm, which is the bad part.

The real problem is the residue from the primers and moisture. If it's really humid, rust can start in a day or so. l

I have been shooting nothing but corrosive ammo thru my AK74, I clean my AK as soon as I get home from the range following basically the same procedure as noted above. I finish up with Hoppes #9, no rust, no problems.

I have been shooting nothing but corrosive ammo thru my AK74, I clean my AK as soon as I get home from the range following basically the same procedure as noted above. I finish up with Hoppes #9, no rust, no problems.

Hoppes, Break Free powder blaster, or any reputable cleaning product. It really doesn't matter as long as you clean and lube it. I shot two of my Enfields and my Mosin a couple of weeks ago and sprayed them with Windex before I headed home. I did that only because I didn't know if I'd get to clean them right away. As it happened, I did, so it wasn't an issue. I'd have been fine leaving them for a week or so if I hadn't had the chance to clean them because I had sprayed them down. I made the mistake once of note doing that with an SKS and I was amazed how quickly surface rust showed up on the bolt.

i flush them with plenty of water. takes care of those pesky salts and does not degrease as ammonia does. then just have to mop them dry and throw some lube on.

of course not all firearms will be well suited for this method so discretion is advised.

Like dnepro-mike I pour hot water down the barrel of my Mosin's after shooting corrosive. I'm not convinced a couple of rounds of non-corrosive ammo would eliminate the salt residue in the barrel, chamber and bolt face.

I am surprised nobody is coating the inner barrels with Tantalum.....that is what the Military does with their Big Guns.....

windex.jpg

Back
Top Bottom