• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

After Massachusetts dog walker surrounded by pack of coyotes, police offer tips

Correct, why a grown man would walk some little fu fu dog that is nothing but bait for a coyote is beyond me. I see them all the time and want to ask them why they don't have a real dog. We predicted this years ago so the sheeple get what they deserve. You don't want trappers eliminating coyotes, don't walk your little dog then. Coyotes are people too and need to eat. [rofl] Maybe the libs should give them EBT cards, that would fix the problem.
When did you see me walking my Pomeranian? [laugh]

Oh, IDGAF what others think about my choices. Spot's no rocket surgeon, but he loves the Trap field. I know a lot of "real" dogs that would take off at the first shot - he often sits between my feet while I shoot.

Helpful tips from the Swampscott Police curious enough no mention of carrying a pistol to protect yourself or your pet.

There are several tools that you can carry with you while walking your dog that can be used to repel coyotes. These include:

• Homemade noisemakers
• Whistle or small air horn
• Squirt guns
• Pepper spray
• Sticks or other objects to throw towards (but not at) the coyote

Remember kids throw sticks & other objects towards but not at the coyote :rolleyes: or call police with guns to solve your problem and hopefully they'll get there in time.
Well, the police can throw bullets toward the coyotes, but not at them. Remember, coyotes are wild. Police are trained to shoot domestic dogs

Cry me a F***ING River. The As$holes in that bastion of Communist enlightenment deserve all they get. They were warned that this would eventually happen. Yet in 1996 they voted to outlaw trapping. This took away the primary tool to control the predator problems. So folks of Mas$holechusetts Eat Shit and Die!!!

Cry me a F***ING River. The As$holes in that bastion of Communist enlightenment deserve all they get. They were warned that this would eventually happen. Yet in 1996 they voted to outlaw trapping. This took away the primary tool to control the predator problems. So folks of Mas$holechusetts Eat Shit and Die!!!

How do you really feel?? :)

A "PACK" of coyotes, yeah ok. I have hunted most of my life. Everywhere from hunting up here in the northeast to back home in the midwest, multiple other states and even out of the country. I have literally seen thousands of coyotes from the stand and never seen more than two together( Likely a mating pair.). Even when hunting over bait. We used to take all the carcass's from hunting season and bait coyotes with them. Usually got 20 or 30 a season. Even during calving season when the coyotes would come in the pens to eat the afterbirth there were not "packs" of them around. Coyotes are not wolves and do not hunt in packs. Has anyone on here actually seen a pack of coyotes, more than 4 hunting together?

A "PACK" of coyotes, yeah ok. I have hunted most of my life. Everywhere from hunting up here in the northeast to back home in the midwest, multiple other states and even out of the country. I have literally seen thousands of coyotes from the stand and never seen more than two together( Likely a mating pair.). Even when hunting over bait. We used to take all the carcass's from hunting season and bait coyotes with them. Usually got 20 or 30 a season. Even during calving season when the coyotes would come in the pens to eat the afterbirth there were not "packs" of them around. Coyotes are not wolves and do not hunt in packs. Has anyone on here actually seen a pack of coyotes, more than 4 hunting together?
The cops that responded to the scene reported seeing 9 of them.

Domestic dogs are not wolves, yet back when I lived on the edges of a major city, there were a half dozen or so strays and ferals in the scrub who ran as a pack and appeared to hunt cooperatively.

We definitely have "packs" here. Camping in Algonquin (Ontario), I've heard wild wolf packs howling in the night, and am serenaded by a familiar chorus while tending the fire pit here in New Hampshire.

Our Eastern coyotes have more wolf genes, including gray wolf -- significant because of their hunting behavior, only seeing one or two pack members at a time is expected.

Just 3, they walked me out one cold Jan day in NH while I had to walk in/out to do a cell tower inspection. Yes I had my Glock with a 17rd mag and a few back ups. But never more than 3.

I tossed a 4 day old cooked burger patty in my back yard on the Northshore a year or two ago, and the first of 4 coyotes traveling together in a line gobbled it up quickly.

<Cuts Through the Bullshit like a Samurai...>

1666116483014.png

actually seen a pack of coyotes, more than 4 hunting together
i agree with you, but, as others noted - it is probably an interbred issue that alters original behavior. jackals and coyotes are not typically seen in packs, like we do not see packs of foxes.
but interbred them with dogs - and they smarten up to understand the benefits of pack hunting. an evolution in progress.

I laugh so freaking hard when beavers flood out some Mc Mansion development and they are screaming for something to be done.
Or coyotes eat Snuggles the the pocket dog
Or a fisher cat eats Mr. Tibbles the cat .
Or they are up to their eyeballs in skunks a raccoons .
Gee if only there were people that kept the populations in check.
Oh wait , there were.

They do in fact hunt in packs .
During the daylight hours the pack splits up to bed for the day which is why you don't see big groups unless you are night hunting.
My son and I had a group of five maybe six circling us and yapping and howling while gutting out a deer we didn't get dragged out till after dark.
The old shotgun got stuffed with 00's and was laying on the ground next to us in case they got nervy enough to go for it.
We have a group by my house that you can hear howling now and then in the big cornfield across the way, there's a lot more than one or two.

We have a group by my house that you can hear howling now and then in the big cornfield across the way, there's a lot more than one or two.
Ditto for us with a huge field. Every now and then at night you hear a large number of them going at all at once. I presume THEY got a deer when that happens.

Our dogs really get their hackles up when that’s going on…even indoors…

They do in fact hunt in packs .
During the daylight hours the pack splits up to bed for the day which is why you don't see big groups unless you are night hunting.
My son and I had a group of five maybe six circling us and yapping and howling while gutting out a deer we didn't get dragged out till after dark.
The old shotgun got stuffed with 00's and was laying on the ground next to us in case they got nervy enough to go for it.
Also, perhaps interbreeding with wolves has affected their behavior?

Typical Massachusetts advice : "Shelter in place and piss your pants while waiting for Big Man * to get there with his gun (after the coyotes have ripped you or your Family Member's jugular vein out from their throat)."

* Remember, Big Man is well trained in the use of gunz. [rolleyes]

Typical Massachusetts advice : "Shelter in place and piss your pants while waiting for Big Man * to get there with his gun (after the coyotes have ripped you or your Family Member's jugular vein out from their throat)."
and while waiting - watch a mandatory educational video on why coyotes life matters more than yours and your kids.

I found an OWB holster for mine. Just gotta wear a baggy shirt.
Not knocking your selection and if it works for you then great but that's a lot of real estate to have on your hip for 10 rounds of .22LR's, even without the slide assist and red dot. Then there is the possibility where a .22 may not cut it. I don't know what else you have but the new rash of polymers maybe worth looking into for CCW. I have these two plus a Hellcat and a S&W PC shield plus, there are many others. The Bodyguard easily fits in your front pocket. If you're hell bent on a .22, Rugers LCP2 in .22 is available, close to the .380 in size.

Other options 2.jpg

As for sprays, my luck would dictate that I would be upwind in a typhoon.

When was the last time you did that in the northeast? “Coywolves” have gradually been coming down from Canada. The result of mating between coyotes and wolves. They tend to be a little bigger than your average coyote and have a propensity to form packs. Not always, but it happens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom