After Massachusetts dog walker surrounded by pack of coyotes, police offer tips

There's no reason NOT to carry pepper spray if you're in a scenario where you could encounter other animals whether they're wild, domesticated, or walking upright.

I won’t argue that. But there are times when it may not slow or stop an attacker. And then you may have just used up all the time you had to draw something to defend yourself, before being attacked. I still don’t think it’s a bad idea to carry all the time. Just saying that the person carrying it needs to think about when to use it and when to use something a little more spicy.

Only if your pet qualifies as "livestock" in MA.
2 of my almost neighbors, 2 streets away, shot coyotes in thier yard. One of them his daughter was out in the yard playing. No charges and cleared hot by police. I am on the North Shore not out in the sticks. You absolutely can defend yourself, family and livestock from coyotes. Both shoots were with handguns by LTC holders.

I see them all the time and want to ask them why they don't have a real dog.
Same reason some of us don’t need a jacked up truck. We just like what we like and have no need to get something more manly to make up for anything. Not that making up for something is the only reason to get a big dog or a jacked up truck. But all that big and mean stuff is already squared away so it’s nice to have something small and fluffy.

Same tub of lard doing the Haggie Hansen/anti Don Bolduc commercials?

"This guy"s a disaster" 😂
Yup, that guy should be ashamed of himself. The Dem's are really desperate when they use a fat, lazy, lard ass to bitch that General Bolduc will cut his SS.
Since when can't you shoot an animal that attacks you or your family, dog, etc.? I remember about 10 years ago a guy was walking his dog on New Years day in a park on the North Shore and he shot a dog that attacked his dog and him and no charges filed. Story was in Globe.

Same reason some of us don’t need a jacked up truck. We just like what we like and have no need to get something more manly to make up for anything. Not that making up for something is the only reason to get a big dog or a jacked up truck. But all that big and mean stuff is already squared away so it’s nice to have something small and fluffy.
Jacked up truck vs. little girly dog? :cool: Then you better carry something to keep little pookie from being dinner for the resident coyotes. [rofl]
The good residents of Ma. have voted for coyote rights over little doggie rights so situational awareness is key when walking pookie. Many big doggies will look at little pookie as a chew toy also. Just saying! ;)

Oh if there's a backstop, that's got '17 hmr from the window' written all over it.
Ha. If only. The coyote was bedding down on a gentle slope that would have made the shot safe, but the “woods” behind my house are only 75-125 feet wide, with houses on the other side. Insta-jail/LTC revocation territory.

Not a free ad, but I may need one of these for my next walk

WTS WTS Ohio Ordnance Works 1918A3-SLR 1918 Browning Automatic Rifle BAR, Semi-Auto, 30-06 [$5,768]​

I mean laying on the ground would be a sign of submission to the alpha. Deploying the bipod and putting in work would send a different signal…more like doom on you bîtch

Last edited:
Got myself a noisemaker. I imagine it will be highly effective.
I wouldn't be so confident.

Many years ago I was driving a department vehicle. It was about 0500 on Winter Street in Belmont. As I was toodling along, I spotted two small glowing objects down the road. Slowed down, and it appeared to be a coyote, sitting right in the middle of the road, staring at me, and apparently defying me from going any further. I tooted the horn; no effect. I lit up the strobes; no effect. Finally (and despite the early hour in a residential area), I hit the siren, both wail and whoop. No effect.

Finally, I dropped the rig back into gear and drove right at the coyote. At the last instant, it shot off the road and let me pass. Not entirely sure, but I think it gave me a middle claw as I went by.

In any event, unless your noisemaker is stronger than a 250W Whelan, consider what your Plan B might be.

Many years ago I was driving a department vehicle. It was about 0500 on Winter Street in Belmont. As I was toodling along, I spotted two small glowing objects down the road. Slowed down, and it appeared to be a coyote, sitting right in the middle of the road, staring at me, and apparently defying me from going any further. I tooted the horn; no effect. I lit up the strobes; no effect. Finally (and despite the early hour in a residential area), I hit the siren, both wail and whoop. No effect.

Finally, I dropped the rig back into gear and drove right at the coyote. At the last instant, it shot off the road and let me pass. Not entirely sure, but I think it gave me a middle claw as I went by.

In any event, unless your noisemaker is stronger than a 250W Whelan, consider what your Plan B might be.
Ummm, wow. You took that literally.

I swear I've read this story on here before except the fire truck hit the coyote.

Back
Top Bottom