• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

After Massachusetts dog walker surrounded by pack of coyotes, police offer tips

Helpful tips from the Swampscott Police curious enough no mention of carrying a pistol to protect yourself or your pet.

There are several tools that you can carry with you while walking your dog that can be used to repel coyotes. These include:

• Homemade noisemakers
• Whistle or small air horn
• Squirt guns
• Pepper spray
• Sticks or other objects to throw towards (but not at) the coyote

Remember kids throw sticks & other objects towards but not at the coyote :rolleyes: or call police with guns to solve your problem and hopefully they'll get there in time.
Citizen throws stick at coyote…misses
Citizen calls police and police shoot 800 rounds at coyote and all of them are misses….
Citizen and dog are now full of holes and dead and coyote lives to terrorize another day😂😂

I was just talking with the misses about this. Honest question here... before I do my AFT impersonation and put one down.

What is the best first step? I was thinking OC gel , bear spray. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Heard from a friend yesterday that a buddy of his was walking his dog & two rotties jumped a fence and attacked him and his dog. Apparently the guy ended up wrestling w/ one of them and his dog fought the other one, saw pics and the dog had a few bites on him. He lives in RI and doesn't have an LTC so doesn't carry (he does own), says it was in his neighborhood - a house he has walked by a thousand times. Can't for the life of me understand people who walk their dogs on public land and don't at least carry pepper spray.

When would it be legally okay to shoot the pack? Obviously not when they're walking by you. But once they've surrounded you and all looking at you, shoot? Or wait until their charge at you?

Due to an incident that my Wife and her friend had, I inquired and was told that unless one of the woman had bite marks from an animal, I would have been prosecuted if I shot the attacking animal. This was in MA.

We just finished attending a citizen's police academy in NH and unfortunately I confirmed basically the same response up here in Free America!

OC you can probably get away with but there better be bite marks before you use deadly force on a wild animal, or else you stand a good chance of going to jail.

I guess I need a dog-walking shillelagh.

I had an incident last winter with my new pup. In my front yard, puppy only 10lbs or so, 11pm with crispy hard snow on the ground. I heard something running from the backyard but couldn’t see it. Then out of the darkness is this really tall coyote running flat out towards us. It comes to a screeching halt about 20-30 feet away. I yelled and lunged at it and it started to trot away. Turned back around about 50 feet away, I’m guessing trying to figure out if it could somehow still snag the puppy-morsel. Saw it over the next couple of days resting in the woods behind my house.

My dog is likely capping out at ~30 lbs, but he’s very dense with muscle and is much dimensionally smaller than his weight would suggest. Definitely a target for coyotes.

Last edited:
By any chance was this personal also continuing a years long debate over which revolver / pocket gun to purchase?

I often carry pepper spray in case of unleaded dogs, I wonder if that’s an effective coyote deterrent?

What is it about coyotes that makes everyone pee themselves so badly?

Sure, they're wild animals and capable of attacking people / pets, but the same people that freak out about a coyote give zero effs about larger dogs running around. WTF?

Slight exaggerations, but I've had these conversations:
"Oh, look at the doggy, Tuna - why are you putting your hand on your gun?"
"Because its a freaking Great Dane, off the leash, and I don't see it's owner"
"You're crazy, he's a widdle sweetie"
Same person will then say:
"OMG - there's a coyote on the other side of the field behind two fences - do you have your gun on you?"

You should absolutely take precautions, including a firearm, when walking - but I'm thinking there's a much greater danger to you and your pet by another dog, or another human.

Then again, more people carrying and even hunting is always good for the rest of us.

When would it be legally okay to shoot the pack? Obviously not when they're walking by you. But once they've surrounded you and all looking at you, shoot? Or wait until their charge at you?

If there’s a pack walking by you, they’re not walking by you, you’re being stalked and they’re already surrounding you. I can’t believe people are actually hesitant to shoot an aggressive coyote or 6 and, “well let’s interpret the law and see what a bunch of soft handed faggots up on the hill said we should do”.

Shoot. Dig round out with big scary knife. Stomp on face to knock teeth loose. Make necklace. Keep walking dog.

Put out nice bowls of antifreeze. Freshen them up daily. Soon, the coyotes will be lessened through attrition.

By the way, if you have to shoot them, by all means report to the police that you saw kids back there shooting 22’s which is why you’re leaving.

Heard from a friend yesterday that a buddy of his was walking his dog & two rotties jumped a fence and attacked him and his dog. Apparently the guy ended up wrestling w/ one of them and his dog fought the other one, saw pics and the dog had a few bites on him. He lives in RI and doesn't have an LTC so doesn't carry (he does own), says it was in his neighborhood - a house he has walked by a thousand times. Can't for the life of me understand people who walk their dogs on public land and don't at least carry pepper spray.
I used to carry a baseball bat.

I once broke several bones of a pitbull that attacked my leashed Husky. Beat the sh*t out of that dog. The only reason I didn't hit its head is because he was trying to fight my dog.

Side note ... the owner turned out to be a woman that worked as a nurse at the local nursing home where I worked while in HS. She had a great 🍑.

If there’s a pack walking by you, they’re not walking by you, you’re being stalked and they’re already surrounding you. I can’t believe people are actually hesitant to shoot an aggressive coyote or 6 and, “well let’s interpret the law and see what a bunch of soft handed faggots up on the hill said we should do”.

Shoot. Dig round out with big scary knife. Stomp on face to knock teeth loose. Make necklace. Keep walking dog.
Since you already have your gun out, do you go ahead and shoot your own dog? Or do you wait for the cops to come do it?

Only a cop can fear for his life and neutralize any threat against it without consequences, generally speaking :)

ryan-george-pitch-meeting.gif

Since you already have your gun out, do you go ahead and shoot your own dog? Or do you wait for the cops to come do it?
You don’t wait for cops, you just leave and go about your business like any free man should.
I mean Christ it’s a wild canine, an actual carnivore whose survival instincts are front and center of their mind, unlike most humans these days.

Citizen throws stick at coyote…misses
Citizen calls police and police shoot 800 rounds at coyote and all of them are misses….
Citizen and dog are now full of holes and dead and coyote lives to terrorize another day😂😂
Sounds like they were shooting at a hound of Baskerville...

1666032994036.png

Back
Top Bottom