• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

After Action Report - Sig Sauer Pistol 103

Third Pistol Class
Sig Sauer Academy – Exeter NH - November 2013
Intermediate Practical Handgun Skills – 1 Day
Round Count: 300
I attended this course with 2 friends, I shot a Glock 34, my friends shot a Glock 17 and a Springfield Xdm 5.25 in 9MM.

Review:
This class was held inside at the Sig Sauer Academy which has 8 lanes and is approximately 75' long. The indoor range had good heating and ventilation. We started this class in the usual fashion, inside a class room with a brief introduction of the instructor and all students. We covered safety rules, medical procedures etc. This class started out with a brief test of our skills by putting rounds on target at 5'. We also performed one whole drills (trying to put 3-5 bullets through the same whole anywhere on paper). This was the first of the sig classes that dives deep into reloading, malfunctions and drawing from the holster. With that said, we went over the correct orientation of a magazine for beercup reload – bullets facing to the rear and the most popular way to reload – bullets facing to the front and indexing the magazine with your finger (I forget the name of this technique). Regardless of what method you choose, consistency and practice was highly emphasized. The latter was the most popular method and I quickly choose it. We went over the correct way to draw from a holster. We also covered that the best draw is when you reholster backwards as the body will take the faster and most efficient path to reholster the weapon and if we reverse it, we get the perfect draw. This draw basically means that you come straight up and straight out, this provides a mechanical stop for the gun as it goes straight out and does not require muscle strength to stop a gun that is either swung out from the top or bottom, referred to as bowling or casting. We also covered several ready positions for the handgun when we are not extended or presenting. For malfunction drills we used plastic ammo to induce double feeds, stove pipes and also covered what to do if the gun fails to fire – tap and rack as well as how to deal with a slide that does not fully return to battery. We also had a round get stuck in someone gun and learned how to deal with that also – hold the slide and slap the pistols grip to force it out. We went over how to move and then shoot, which is actually quiet difficult when your doing this over and over again and become tired. This was also the first sig class to cover one handed shooting in detail, however they did not cover the correct way for a right handed shooter to shoot left handed with both hands. The last thing we covered in this class is target acquisitions and communications. This basically means you have to acquire a target, make decisions under stress and then communicate both to nearby persons and to a 911 operator. I am not a big fan of role playing but if I get to shoot after... Ill suffer through.

I give this class a tough rating and I wanted to explain it. 1: I am type A aggressive, I strive to be the best and expect others to also. 2: I also work hard and play harder and want to have a good time. So with that said, just because this class does not get a perfect rating in my opinion, does not mean that you might not find this class to be your favorite.

With that said, Sig Pistol 102 covered a couple of the concepts in this class to a minor extent, but they covered them none the less. Also, having taken Sig Pistol 104, the classes are very similar and 104 introduces very few concepts that are not covered in 103. I asked about this to learn that they used to be one class but were broken up because some classes progressed faster/slower than others and to ensure everything could be covered properly – 2 classes. lastly, I didnt really enjoy any of the drills, which brings me to my next complaint - there wasn't really any good drills in this class. I love doing drills, esp if I get to compete against other individuals or teams. I obviously understand why they did this and I believe that 90% of people would prefer it this way, but I am a competitor and I like to be pushed. Ok so one more complaint and then I will stop - I promise. Throughout the class, I never really felt like I was being pushed to be better than I was. I felt like I was given instructions but received very few corrections and definitely was not pushed to do better.

Positives:
Instructor was very experienced & professional
Course was very organized and run efficiently

Negatives:
Instructor didn’t really smile... or seem to be having fun...
Course is too similar to Pistol 104

Final Rating
Course: 8/10
Instructors: 8/10

If you like competition and fine tuning your skills, may I recommend the intermediate or advanced competition classes SIG offers. Almost every skill drill has a competitive twist with improvement being the goal.

Back
Top Bottom