After Action Report - Sig Sauer Pistol 102

First Pistol Class
Sig Sauer Academy – Exeter NH - August 2013
Basic Practical Handgun Skills – 1 Day
Round Count: 250
I attended this course with 3 friends, I shot a Glock 35, my friends shot a Glock 17 and a Sig Scorpion 1911 and the 4th person borrowed a Sig 229.

Review:
This class was held outside on a beautiful sunny day. This course began indoors in a class room where the instructor introduced himself and asked everyone in the class to introduce themselves and let him know what they were looking to get out of the class. Next, the instructor went over the very very important safety rules and had us check them off on a form and sign our name saying that we understand the rules. After that we were taught the very basics, how to aim a pistol using common sight systems – 3 dots etc, how to pull the trigger without adding motion to the muzzle/gun etc. they showed us how to identify our dominant eye and other such things. We spent a total of about 45 minutes in doors and then moved outside. Once outside we all put our equipment, holstered non loaded firearms and headed to the firing line. There we did dry fire drills to allow the instructor to check our grip / trigger pull / stance etc, we all had a partner that would slide the action of our gun to the rear to cock the gun to the ready position. Next we headed back and loaded up our magazines and the real fun began. We started by shooting a couple of rounds at our targets from about 5 feet. I was surprised to learn that this was this far more difficult than I expected and I very rarely got a bulls eye hit. Throughout the day we learned to shoot from distances of approximately 75 feet, how to perform reloads and how to draw a gun from the holster. There were a couple of competitions / drills in the course where two people would shoot against each other, draw – fire 2 shots, reload and fire 2 more. Only hits counted from about 5 feet. We also marched from 5 feet – 75 feet at the end of the class as a fun ending. We shot one at a time with both hands at about 25 feet and went back 10 feet at a time. Any misses and you got to take 1 shot with strong hand and then with weak hand. If you miss all 3 then you were eliminated. There was one main instructor on this course and another instructor that joined early on and spent 95% of his time helping 2 students that had never fired a gun before ever.

Positives:
Both instructors were very intelligent/patient/skilled. They did not have a negative thing to say about any gun, gun brand, equipment etc. Very Neutral
Very positive and motivated
Course was very organized and run efficiently
Registration/payment was easy, confirmations were sent via email within 1 day
Directions to the facility were clear, equipment listing easy to understand

Negatives:
One instructor spent the entire time with 2 students that had never shot a gun before!!!!
One student rented a gun (not my friend) that malfunctioned throughout the class and eventually got upset, good for them! Like Sig doesn’t have enough guns to go and get another one? We are not here to test equipment after all!

Final Rating
Course: 9.5/10
Instructors: 8.5/10

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I was just talking to someone about taking a class there.

Why the 8 month wait since the class before writing this?

I have been writing reviews for all of the classes I have taken since last summer, Sig Pistol 102/103/104/skill builder and DRFT - Combat Focus but I didn't know if I was going to post them. I took Sig Rifle 102 yesterday, I have defensive rifle next month, advanced rifle in June. I guess you could say the rifle course yesterday got me motivated to finish and post my reviews. I owe 3 more reviews....

I hope you enjoy your training!

Back
Top Bottom