After a lot of thought of what to build next.. Sten Gun build......

Thanks! dying to get it to the range, was travelling most of the last two weeks and then the storm. Hopefully Saturday I'll get her dirty and issue a full report. functions flawlessly with dummy rounds, springs are pretty tight so may have to tune it a bit I imagine once I light it up...

For what its worth, I used Brownells Aluma-Hyde II to paint it. I have used this on a few 1911's that I built and it has held up very nice. Tends to orange peel a bit if you spray it on to thick, but not bad if you build up 2 or 3 light coats. It can also be sanded and buffed after it has cured up for a week or two.

Finally got to the range! First off there is no thrill like the thrill of bringing back an "iconic weapon of history" and actually firing it. Who knows what this weapon had seen in its life or the last time it was fired. Few weapons are still around to get this type of feeling and I strongly recommend anyone who hasn't already to get an old milsurp and enjoy the heck out of it. OK enough of that, here's the report. As soon s you heft this beast you quickly realize it was not designed by a shooter for a shooter. In fact if I didn't know better, I would think it was designed by a plumber and my 12 year old video game playing grandson. The ergonomics are horrible, the balance is atrocious and the sights are (being very generous) rudimentary at best. But, the minute you slap in a magazine and pull back the bolt you are transformed back in time to the woods of France in 1942 searching for a downed allied pilot to save. I can't even describe the shot of adrenaline when squeezing the trigger for the first time!
Oh how does it shoot you ask? Believe it or not pretty damn good. It took about 15 or 20 rounds to get things dialed in and then I went through 60 rounds without a single issue, no FTF, FTE or FTF (admittedly I never loaded more than 10 rounds in a mag at a time)...... What is immediately apparent is the complete lack of recoil and noise, probably due to the fact that the bolt weighs around 25 or 30 pounds!
And accuracy? you be the judge, this target was shot at 20 yards offhand...
iFhuHBc.jpg

You are a bad bad bad man. I hate you. Truly. Truly, I do. ;)

I have no skills. None. I just ordered all my parts. I've been thinking on this since March. I bought a Poly80 frame to futz around with. That was a mistake. LOL. Then built a fixed-mag AR pistol. Second mistake.

Here I sit with my third mistake shipping out from various places on Monday. ROFL!!!

Anyone know a good welder in the area?? I've never welded anything in my life. My only experience is melting cheese on food under the broiler. LOL

You have inspired me... looking for parts kits now. Unfortunately most seem to be sold out right now. At least that I can find. I know absolutely nothing about them. Is the Mk5 a no no because of the pistol grip?

Do a search on Sten MkII Parts kit. They show up. I think I got mine at Apex. SARCO used to have a lot, but OOS. Apex won't ship mags, so get them at SARCO.

You have inspired me... looking for parts kits now. Unfortunately most seem to be sold out right now. At least that I can find. I know absolutely nothing about them. Is the Mk5 a no no because of the pistol grip?

That's a good question.

Back
Top Bottom