After a lot of thought of what to build next.. Sten Gun build......

I have been wanting to do this for a very long time and after the recent Guns America blog on it, I just had to do it now... So here is the start, I will update as I go along, it doesn't have any shovel parts, but it will have some muffler pipe in it before I'm through.....

Here are the parts so far Sten MKII from Sarco...... As received:
cIO1jEI.jpg

After demilling, (waiting for parts to proceed:
n8O6Ux5.jpg

Last edited:
If you have any issues with your mags I have the brit GI mag reforming tools.
Thanks, my mags are a bit rough for sure and 2 of them have the brass rods making them single stack for better feeding which I think was an Indian conversion? Hopefully I can get this build finished up and to the range in the next couple of weeks........I am already dying to shoot it!!

Yea the brass rods where/are an indian thing if you need to use the reforming tools I have they have to come out. the biggest thing is they need to be scrubbed out well. and make sure the followers drop in and out freely.

I am going with a steel bolt and semi auto. So the fireing pin is now spring loaded instead of fixed as in the FA's. I am also converting the selector switch to a positive safety...

I bought the conversion kit from IO, it uses a modified sten bolt, but oddly does use a standard AR15 firing pin. I am using all the original parts from the FCG..

I'll be curious what parts you ordered. I found it somewhat confusing what I needed and what I should get. I'm not much of a handy guy, but this seems like an interesting project.

F'rinstance, did you order anything other than the tube and the conversion kit from IO?

What are you doing about the bbl? Making it a pistol or backordered 16" bbl from IO?

Did you get anything else from Sarco either?

remember in mass no pistol if over the 50 OZ mark (and these will be over 50oz. ) Most of us have just added an extension or fake silencer to the barrel.
Call IO and ask for the parts to finish a kit. easy peasy. lol

I purchased a MKII with barrel kit from Sarco, From IO I got the tube, semiauto kit and yes the barrel extension to weld on to my 7.5" barrel that came with the Sarco kit making it in affect 16". I did spring another $45 for the loop stock as I just like that look better and from what I can tell that is what most of the MKIIS's were equipped with. I also ordered a piece of 1.5" OD muffler pipe from Jegs that I will fabricate a "faux" suppressor to cover what I expect to be my crappy welding job on the barrel.....All in all not real cheap but the satisfaction and fun of the build not to mention having another genuine relic of WWII and of course the pleasure I know I will get from shooting it more than make it worth the cost....

FYI, these kits can be had for less from whatacountry or gunpartscorp

I would go with the straight rifling any day if there was someone making them. This was far from an accurate weapon to begin with. It was always more of spray and pray. I would gladly give up some accuracy to have the short barrel without having to spend another $200 on a stamp... Luckily one of the great attributes of the MKII is that the barrel is easily removable by just unscrewing the fore end.

I do love this quote though: "On August 3rd of 2017, the Chief of the Firearms Technology Division of the ATF confirmed that a firearm equipped with a stock and a barrel featuring straight cut lands and grooves is defined as a “firearm,” and is not a rifle or a shotgun. It follows that since the Reformation cannot be a rifle or a shotgun, it also cannot be a short barreled rifle or a short barreled shotgun."

Last edited:
Ok, it's been a very productive weekend, ran into a few snags but overall the build went pretty good and the end result is far better than expected...

Here is the tube after hours of drilling, dremeling, filing and swearing..

qHNhceh.jpg

pU5NEhA.jpg

This is the ejector after welding in place. This is probably the only critical item in the build, It has to be placed exactly with literally a gnats ass of clearance to the groove in the bolt for it to work
nxhPYrs.jpg

This is the custom cut out on the trigger arm (disconnector) that enables the selector switch to become a safety. Simple mod and it works great!
J1AKenO.jpg

All parts mocked up prior to welding to ensure fit and that the thing actually works..
9CwGd6D.jpg

Ef1GQJ8.jpg

Semi auto bolt and hammer welded up and fit.
CfnzjK9.jpg

The finished product welded and ready for the range. I do plan on building a faux suppressor, but my muffler pipe won't be here till tomorrow so that will have to wait for next week. Tested it with snap caps and all works great. I could fill another thread on what it takes to get the magazines to work!
lvSYukg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom