AFS Range Suicide - No. Attleboro

LTCRN

NES Member
Woman hurt seriously in accidental shooting at North Attleboro firing range

Victim rushed to Attleboro hospital after afternoon incident

North Attleboro Police

Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 3:12 pm | Updated: 3:30 pm, Sat Mar 15, 2014.

BY STU SKERKER FOR THE SUN CHRONICLE | 0 comments

NORTH ATTLEBORO — A woman practicing shooting at a local firing range apparently shot herself accidentally this afternoon, according to police.

The victim was rushed to Sturdy Memorial Hospital in Attleboro.

Three firefighters were treating the woman in the back of the ambulance — an indication the injuries likely are serious, police said.

The incident was reported about 2 p.m. at the American Firearms School in the industrial park off John Dietsch Boulevard.

Witnesses said they speculate the woman’s gun may have jammed.

The woman appeared to fall backward, they said.

After the mishap, the range officer ordered everyone to stop firing and evacuate the shooting range, the witnesses added.

The Sun Chronicle will have more information on this breaking news story as it develops on this website and in Sunday’s printed edition.

oh, great. Another range about to be closed.

I hope she's okay, but it still sucks for the community.

Every time shit like this happens it just makes me go "Great, we're going to get screwed".

A guy blows his brains out at Bob's about once a year or every other year and they're still open. (It's been at least twice now, may have happened a few other times but I've honestly lost track. ) I don't see what the hysteria is about. Most towns acknowledge that even a pay range can't be fully responsible for the acts of some 'tard in the general public. MA has had only one pay range forced closure in the recent past, and that was Boston Gun Range, and that's because the police chief in Worcester is a ****ing douchebag.

-Mike

This is not the first time that there has been an incident at AFS. I think that it is one of the unfortunate realities for facilities that are open to the public.

AFS is a real nice facility and I was a member there once but it can get crowded on the weekends and inexperienced shooters often show up on the weekends.

A guy blows his brains out at Bob's about once a year or every other year and they're still open. (It's been at least twice now, may have happened a few other times but I've honestly lost track. ) I don't see what the hysteria is about. Most towns acknowledge that even a pay range can't be fully responsible for the acts of some 'tard in the general public. MA has had only one pay range forced closure in the recent past, and that was Boston Gun Range, and that's because the police chief in Worcester is a ****ing douchebag.

-Mike

No hysteria, just pessimism.

Same difference. If you think this is the first time something like that has happened at AFS (or any other pay range in MA) I have a nice bridge to sell you.

-Mike

It isn't, it's just pessimism and hysteria isn't the same. Hysteria is freaking out. Pessimism is rolling your eyes and shrugging.

It isn't, it's just pessimism and hysteria isn't the same. Hysteria is freaking out. Pessimism is rolling your eyes and shrugging.

You are freaking out- you are assuming that something BAD is going to happen to AFS (or gun owners) because some dumb bitch shot herself. Those facts are not in evidence.

ETA: Despite being stupid, I hope the woman in question recovers fully. She probably won't make that mistake again.

-Mike

Last edited:
You are freaking out- you are assuming that something BAD is going to happen to AFS (or gun owners) because some dumb bitch shot herself. Those facts are not in evidence.

-Mike

No, I'm not. Freaking out is freaking out. They use these incidents to make us look bad, and that's what I'm talking about. It's not "freaking out" unless you think barely reacting is the same thing as jumping all over and screaming. You're telling me I'm doing something I'm not doing, and this is pointless. So can it be done?

AFS is a real nice facility and I was a member there once but it can get crowded on the weekends and inexperienced shooters often show up on the weekends.
Or when the college kids show up during the day or spring break showing off their AR's and AK's to their girlfriends who then wave them around like they are toys.

Was she hunting?

Sometimes people do stupid stuff. I hope she's OK and recovers to 100%.

Had a rental house where some dope put what looked to be a .38 thru the roof. It didn't burn down and we sold at for a profit with some roof patch over the hole.

Was she hunting?

Sometimes people do stupid stuff. I hope she's OK and recovers to 100%.

Had a rental house where some dope put what looked to be a .38 thru the roof. It didn't burn down and we sold at for a profit with some roof patch over the hole.

I did a roof back in the day in Chelsea because the owners kid was in the attic shooting through the roof with a 9mm.

Title should be changed to negligent discharge,only cops are allowed to have accidents involving firearms.[thinking]

Wasn't there a video of a cop shooting himself in the foot in front of a classroom full of kids?

Negligence happens, a cautionary tale here.

This doesn't sound good at all...

" Another trio of shooters who were inside the school when the incident took place, said they had very little to say, only that an accident took place, and there was nothing anyone could have done after it occurred."

Many years ago, we had a woman try to commit suicide on our pistol range at the Woburn Sportsman Association.
She came in to take a women's safety course and shot herself in the head, as the class was ending, while the other women were leaving the range.
She lived, but almost didn't make it. Rumor at the time: She was an anti-handgun fanatic and wanted to get the WSA shut down..
I just figured she was nuts, anti-gun or not.

oh, great. Another range about to be closed.

I hope she's okay, but it still sucks for the community.

yup this has happened a couple times in a short time period I don't see good things for AFS from this. They already have wicked strick rules. A student of mine got turned away because you can't go there and rent a gun buy yourself unless you have a gun of your own as well. It was explained to me was that there was a higher risk of solo rental customers being people who would come in to rent a gun to off themselves.

I hope she is ok and if/when she recovers i hope she makes a statment that it was her mistake from neglagance and nobodies fault but her own

Back
Top Bottom