• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AFS Matches

The Palm scoing software is a commercial product developed by a shooter down under. Harvard Sportsmens received a set of free copies in return for being the first major match to use them (Area 7). I also use of free copies since I have been working with the supplier to integrate the Palms and EzWinScore, which is why they were available at AFS.

Currently, the interface between Palm scoring is something only a programmer could love (or get working :) and requires use of Microsoft Access to shove the data into the EzWinScore databse - which is why there are only 3 clubs that I know of using this - Harvard, Green Mountain in VT and Cdavis in Kansas (I think). The procedure for transferring data from the Palm to EzWinScore has been completely re-written for EzWinScore 3.0, is very easy to use in that release, and will not require the use of Microsoft access.

Once EzWinScore 3.0 is released (planned for late March/early April), the only two issues will be price of the software (old Palms are a lot cheaper than timers - the real investment is the software price) and the willingness of clubs to do change their procedures. The vendor is http://www.autoscoringsystems.com, and the contact info is on that site.

The Palm scoing software is a commercial product developed by a shooter down under. Harvard Sportsmens received a set of free copies in return for being the first major match to use them (Area 7). I also use of free copies since I have been working with the supplier to integrate the Palms and EzWinScore, which is why they were available at AFS.

Currently, the interface between Palm scoring is something only a programmer could love (or get working :) and requires use of Microsoft Access to shove the data into the EzWinScore databse - which is why there are only 3 clubs that I know of using this - Harvard, Green Mountain in VT and Cdavis in Kansas (I think). The procedure for transferring data from the Palm to EzWinScore has been completely re-written for EzWinScore 3.0, is very easy to use in that release, and will not require the use of Microsoft access.

Once EzWinScore 3.0 is released (planned for late March/early April), the only two issues will be price of the software (old Palms are a lot cheaper than timers - the real investment is the software price) and the willingness of clubs to do change their procedures. The vendor is http://www.autoscoringsystems.com, and the contact info is on that site.

I have to comment since a new year of USPSA shooting is racing towards us....

I think the palms are one of the greatest score keeping devices around...
BUT !
If more people don't get trained on how to use them then we need
a back-up clip board and paper sheet.

Good example was this past AFS match, our squad had to stop shooting since
there was a question/problem with the palm. The RO for the squad had to leave
the range to get the problem fixed before we could score and tape the targets,
(i know...we should have been able to figure out something else but whatever)
had we had a rudimentiry score form maybe we could have continued.

Also, since only a handfull of folks have a general idea how to work the palms
the same 1 or 2 people do the scoring, this past match our RO did both
when the other "palm pilots" where getting prepared to shoot.

As I said, I think the palms are great, but you can't get the data to the web
site until somebody records the data.
IMO, it's more about the match being run safely than how fast the scores get posted on the web.

Back
Top Bottom