• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AFS Matches

AFS Match DAtes:

1/22/07
2/18/07
3/18/07

AFS is now accepting sigups - $20 per match, all matches open for signup, pay in advance - contact info at http://www.americanfirearmsschool.com

Edited to correct dates of the Feb and March matches - formerlly listed as occurring on the 19th.

Last edited:
The three USPSA matches at AFS seem to be about half full.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Rob, are these dates correct, or did you use a 2006 calendar?

Last edited:
Just signed up for all 3 this afternoon.

All part of that survivalist training with my "military-style assault weapons," you know..............

2 weeks to go....can't wait to actually shoot them this year.

I have already promised myself to avoid kitchen shears until AFTER the matches this time ;)

Results for the AFS match today 1/21, are in the local match section on www.uspsa.org. I will post them to www.uspsa-ne.org once I get the password (I don't manage that site, and have my request in to the webmaster for the AFS password).

Now that we know the internet connection in the classroom at AFS is live, we'll have the results uploaded before leaving the facility.

Many thanks to Andy for this props he brought - it really helped, especially when trying to host a decent match in a limited amount of indoor space.

Thanks for handling the scores Rob.

Thanks Mike and Chris, good stages!

I'll post some videos tommorrow and find some info for anyone interested in Andy's awesome props from RIMLC, some of which are available from Mike at MLE Shooting Sports.

I was surprised to find a live internet connection in the classroom. I'll bring the password to the upload areas with me next time so scores can be posted before we leave the facility.

Last edited:
My pleasure Steve. The pressure pad activator and the bobber targets were great. Andy might be getting some more business...

Yes, those bobbing targets were clever. Placed behind HC or NS targets, they'd be the shooting equivalent of "Whack-A-Mole."[laugh]

I'd plan to hit that platform for just a second, hose the targets, and move foward fast and finish the last seven targets. If you look closely, you'll see that when I hit the platform it moved foward pretty sharply, so much so that I put my left foot down because I thought I was going down [shocked] - on my a@#. So much for my aggressive, time saving move, oh well. [rolleyes]

Thanks to my bud Steve (this is the guy that will be pushing Matt to GM) , to Chris and all his guys, Rob for his tech wizardry, AFS for the facility, and all the guys on my squad for a fun match.

If you watch Video 2 on the AFS website, you can really see you slip when you put your right foot on the platform.

I came over to watch you shoot that stage and remember thinking step lightly on the platform after seeing that

I hadn't seen the AFS video. Now I know where that miss on the right 'bobber' came from. Nice to see Dave getting ready to catch me! He taped the platform pretty good after my run.

How did that new Bedell work Mike? It is very sweet. You're the fifth guy I know that has one and they all run great. John H. from CT has a safe full. I'm jealous. He's another guy that seems to get better everytime I see him, nice guy too. Open class is really fun to watch in our section. So many guys are shooting great.

I hadn't seen the AFS video. Now I know where that miss on the right 'bobber' came from. Nice to see Dave getting ready to catch me! He taped the platform pretty good after my run.

How did that new Bedell work Mike? It is very sweet. You're the fifth guy I know that has one and they all run great. John H. from CT has a safe full. I'm jealous. He's another guy that seems to get better everytime I see him, nice guy too. Open class is really fun to watch in our section. So many guys are shooting great.

Mine was jamming. Had 5 failure to chamber at the match. John H said that it was probably a tight extractor. I talked to Bedell about it, he agreed, but thought it may be the brass also, I'm using PMC, he recommends Starline. I loosened the tension, shot around 150 rounds with just one failure. so making some progress.

Chris T. has the stages designed, and I have the Palms set up so we should have on-site scores tomorrow. Since the clasroom has a live net connection, we should have result on the web before leaving.

Chris has a new squadding procedure. Once we know how many people have actually shows up, Chris will figure out the squad size and distribute colored stickers for your competitor card. The "catch" is that he will only release the exact number of stickers for the desired squad size - if you don't get a red sticker, you're not in the red squad even if your buddy is, etc. This may sound harsh, but uneven squad sizes increase the total time we make the AFS ranges unavailable to their customers.

A critical success factor in staying welcome at AFS is to run the matches smoothly and be out by noon or so. EVERY shooting lane was occupied with a paying AFS customer within 5 minutes of us finishing with the ranges in January, so overstaying will definitely have an impact on the AFS customers.

The last two stages were virtually identical, the only difference being the addition of a popper on one. It would have been nice to have done a Field Expediency Modification and altered the latter to give us a new wrinkle.

That minor carp aside, I was happy to help with set-up this morning and thank the crew for another well-run match.

It sure beats 90" each way to S&W, not to mention the savings in fuel and tolls!

The last two stages were similar in how the paper was shot. Chris came up with a speed shoot we needed and it worked. There isn't a long list of classifiers that fit the range, so it happened to turn out to be similar to the speed shoot. At least the turn-and-draw and the steel mixed it up a little.

I'm thinking of proposing to Chris that we have the last two stages be classifiers, with only one decided by a flip of a coin after the match to be sent in as counting. It is an idea stolen from Harvard.

I think it is a good idea for both the match and the shooters. The match needs two short stages in the second segment to run smoothly. Just picking another classifier that fits is easier than creating a speed shoot. For shooters, it is good to practice more classifiers, which often have skills you run into at major matches. The randomness of which one will count could help people get over that habit of shooting classifiers as if they are different or count more than any other stage.

The last two stages were similar in how the paper was shot. Chris came up with a speed shoot we needed and it worked. There isn't a long list of classifiers that fit the range, so it happened to turn out to be similar to the speed shoot. At least the turn-and-draw and the steel mixed it up a little.

I'm thinking of proposing to Chris that we have the last two stages be classifiers, with only one decided by a flip of a coin after the match to be sent in as counting. It is an idea stolen from Harvard.

I think it is a good idea for both the match and the shooters. The match needs two short stages in the second segment to run smoothly. Just picking another classifier that fits is easier than creating a speed shoot. For shooters, it is good to practice more classifiers, which often have skills you run into at major matches. The randomness of which one will count could help people get over that habit of shooting classifiers as if they are different or count more than any other stage.

I think the 2 classifiers is a good idea. or we can do a quick shoot with 2 strings. I think we cleared the last stage in 20 min, because everyone was taping, so 2 string should be doable.

as long as it doesn't have to many fault lines, I get confused easily[thinking]

It was a good match, Thanks to all involved. I think Rob had the scores uploaded, before the stages were even broken down.

Uploads to USPSA.ORG are much easier than to uspsa-ne.org (uspsa.org uses a one file, one step process).

Dave B. timed me. I had the scores on www.uspsa.org 2 minutes and 28 seconds after the Palms were brought in from the ranges.

Back
Top Bottom