• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Affordable compound bow recommendation for wife?

Hi all,

My wife is interested in a compound bow. My Christmas budget is more or less up for her, but her father wants to know what she wants.

I was wondering if there are any good compound bowes with a comfortable draw weight for a 120lb athletic woman in the $150-200 range? As a vegetarian, I don't foresee her hunting with it.

Also, we have about a 120 foot back yard, would it be safe for her to practice back there?

Thanks

Mike

A PSE stinger is a good bow for the money but just a tad over your budget. My kids wanted to target shoot, but damn target bows start running up there with hunting packages pretty easily. The PSE stinger is an entry level bow that while very affordable, is much nicer than similarly prices units. Just my opinion, not an archery expert or anything but this was my experience. As to shooting in your back yard, it all depends on whats behind the 120ft that would be concerning. I remember a thread on here some time ago discussing "discharge of a firearm or releasing an arrow within xxxxx feet of a dwelling within city limits" When I lived i CT, my area was kinda rural and not an issue. Not sure how it is where your at though.

Any of the "hyper adjustable" bows will be good. By hyper adjustable I mean you can easily set the draw weight from very low (<20lb) to high (>60lb). In the first few months she'll develop archery muscles and be able to draw a lot more than when she first picked up the bow. I got the Mission Craze ($300) and like it.

The Hoyt Ruckus would be a good option too. (on sale for $199). It's hard to go wrong with a Hoyt.

Even though she's a vegetarian (old Indian word for bad hunter), she'll enjoy the zen aspect of archery. It's all about mind-body control.

Most archery ranges are 20yards so you have plenty of room. Set the range up so the neighbors feel safe. I shoot against the back wall of my garage. I actually won't shoot if I can see any neighbors outdoors. Also, check the town's bylaws. There's no Mass laws against it but some towns might have retarded laws. Search for the word "release". In the legal jargon you don't "shoot" an arrow, you "release" it.

Back
Top Bottom