Advice wanted for ar15 service upper

I plan to order a cmp service rifle legal upper on Friday. Completely new to the sport. I will probably mostly just be shooting on my own at 100 and 200 yard ranges but want the ability to shoot in a cmp match when I ever have the time. Because of my limited access to longer ranges I don't think that I would need to shoot heavier bullets. So I am looking at the white oak armaments a4 post ban flat top upper with a front site post .62 and a removable carry handle with pinned site base. They are 50 bucks off this Friday as well. So my questions are is this a decent upper for a beginner for the price point? If I will be mostly shooting at 100 and 200 yards but occasionally longer range should I be ordering a 1/7 or a 1/8 twist if I will be mostly shooting 62gr bullets and occasionally heavier? Lastly looking for recommendations for a service rifle scope in case I see any good deals and spring for one now. With the sale this upper will be $620 not including the carry handle.

That upper will be capable of shooting a National record: some of the world's top shooters use that upper. It's the best at any price point and for any skill level.

That being said, I'd opt for the upper with a forend rail system. Less parts, simpler system, easier re-barrels, and still CMP legal.

I plan to order a cmp service rifle legal upper on Friday. Completely new to the sport. I will probably mostly just be shooting on my own at 100 and 200 yard ranges but want the ability to shoot in a cmp match when I ever have the time. Because of my limited access to longer ranges I don't think that I would need to shoot heavier bullets. So I am looking at the white oak armaments a4 post ban flat top upper with a front site post .62 and a removable carry handle with pinned site base. They are 50 bucks off this Friday as well. So my questions are is this a decent upper for a beginner for the price point? If I will be mostly shooting at 100 and 200 yards but occasionally longer range should I be ordering a 1/7 or a 1/8 twist if I will be mostly shooting 62gr bullets and occasionally heavier? Lastly looking for recommendations for a service rifle scope in case I see any good deals and spring for one now. With the sale this upper will be $620 not including the carry handle.
I think I spent more building my service rifle A2 upper!
Only thing I can tell you is make sure of your rules for what ever game your playing. Just a note CMP has 2 types of "matches"
high power (service rifle)
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf?ver=11062018
in particular AR/M16 style rifles 4.1.1. Section C I noticed barrels cant exceed .750 forward of the gas block. IDK if this is new just noticed it reading through the 2018 rules?

and Games
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMPGamesRules.pdf?ver=07112018

enjoy the CF of ruleso_O

it may not be Ideal but FWIW I shoot 52 grainers through my 1/7 and they hold the 10 ring if I do at 200 yards. Have delivered some of my best cmp games scores with that combo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I did end up ordering that upper and a variety of different match ammo to experiment with. Can't wait to get to the range with it. Now just need a sling. I'm leaning towards a leather 1907.

Thanks for the input. I did end up ordering that upper and a variety of different match ammo to experiment with. Can't wait to get to the range with it. Now just need a sling. I'm leaning towards a leather 1907.

Ron Brown slings are nice

make sure you get a "service rifle" or "competition" 1907 sling.
I have both ron brown and turner.
i lean towards the brown more. I bought the 54" so dont have to worry about it being to short on any rifle.

Patiently awaiting my upper and I'm gathering a bunch of different match grade ammo. I'm learning that many ammunition manufacturers buy sourced bullets from Sierra matchking. However the quality of the bullets does not seem consistent. The fiocchi ammo appeared to have less flat and uniform tips and have a small amount of corrosion. Is this typical and I'm overthinking it or will this affect accuracy?20181201_110247.jpg

It IS disconcerting when you look close at the tips of HPBT bullets. You can meplat trim them, sort them for weight, shine them up, whatever. It won't make a bit of difference on paper.

Patiently awaiting my upper and I'm gathering a bunch of different match grade ammo. I'm learning that many ammunition manufacturers buy sourced bullets from Sierra matchking. However the quality of the bullets does not seem consistent. The fiocchi ammo appeared to have less flat and uniform tips and have a small amount of corrosion. Is this typical and I'm overthinking it or will this affect accuracy?View attachment 257128
Would not surprise me one bit if other manufactures just pay sierra to stamp thier name on the package?

I shot my first rapid sitting clean (100-5x) with hastily loaded Nosler 77gr "seconds". The tips were all over the place, which was probably the reason they were seconds.

I shot my first rapid sitting clean (100-5x) with hastily loaded Nosler 77gr "seconds". The tips were all over the place, which was probably the reason they were seconds.
Sweet, glad we dont do sitting for cmp games!

So I finally recently received my woa upper. It fits very loose on my Anderson lower so I am going to swap out the upper and trigger to another lower I have. I am patiently waiting for my ron brown sling. I've collected an assortment of match ammo. I've been shooting for years but never really very seriously or disciplined as far as accuracy (not safety). Anybody interested in bringing a newby to service rifle to the range? I've been watching lots of videos online on shooting positions, techniques, gear needed, etc

What twist barrel? 1/7 or 1/8 will probably like 69 grain and up bullets.

I think your best opportunity would be to come to an Old Colony CMP Games match. There's a 'clinic' before the match, which usually amounts to one on one or one on two coaching. Also you can get some help during a match. I'll be overseas for the first one this year in April but will be at the next one. I'd offer to have you join me for some range time but I'm not close. Someone may be able to help.

If you don't find a lower that fits to your liking, you can buy some No. 7 O-rings from the hardware store and stuff one over the front trunnion of your upper. Push the O-ring all the way to the base of the trunnion. Tilting the upper pretty far forward makes it easier to insert the front takedown pin with the O-ring installed. Once the front is in, tilt the upper closed and push in the rear takedown pin. This little hack always works for me and takes out the annoying clearance between the upper and lower.

From what I understand I can't use this rifle for cmp games? I'm still a little confused with some of the rules and recent changes.

You can shoot unlimited class. No medals for that at Old Colony but you can compete.

So I finally recently received my woa upper. It fits very loose on my Anderson lower so I am going to swap out the upper and trigger to another lower I have. I am patiently waiting for my ron brown sling. I've collected an assortment of match ammo. I've been shooting for years but never really very seriously or disciplined as far as accuracy (not safety). Anybody interested in bringing a newby to service rifle to the range? I've been watching lots of videos online on shooting positions, techniques, gear needed, etc
Dont worry so much about the upper lower fit.
Tip damage : I say once your shooting clean targets regularly dont worry about it. Then dont worry about it.
The Box O' Truth #49 - Damaged Bullet Accuracy and the Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth
I also have see first hand shooters pluck the ballistic tips out of their ammo because they forgot thier mag length ammo for rapids...and still post thier average score.
I dont want to come off at saying NRA /cMP Service rifle cmp games are "easy" but the aiming black is 6moa ish.
Keep them all in the black and then work on tightening up your groups from there. Just dont get cantfindxitis. I can pull of nice groups just cant seem to plant them in the middle.
My best advice that i dont follow "practice off hand "!

Now if your interested in hitting the range as a noob I will pay your first entry fee at OCSA match on 4/14 even if i cant make it !!!

You can shoot unlimited class. No medals for that at Old Colony but you can compete.
i would think if enough UMM show up there will be trinkets.
I think we should try to touch base so we have at least one match for the "cheaters" .

From what I understand I can't use this rifle for cmp games? I'm still a little confused with some of the rules and recent changes.
The rules a FuBaR ....so for CMP games
Basically for Modern Military Class A ( AR rifles) it has to look like a AR have A2 style sights and be 7.5lbs max.
There are other small details but if your rifle is over 7.5lbs you will shoot in Unlimited Modern Military. Your rifle is most likely over weight.

Now for CMP/NRA service rifle your good to go. Just dont worry about it. Go to the matches you can get to its all good practice. Plus if your shooting out of comp you can have help with out the threat of a DQ.

i would think if enough UMM show up there will be trinkets.
I think we should try to touch base so we have at least one match for the "cheaters" .

Good point- collectively we should give that feedback. Make one of the MM's a UMM?

What twist barrel? 1/7 or 1/8 will probably like 69 grain and up bullets.

I think your best opportunity would be to come to an Old Colony CMP Games match. There's a 'clinic' before the match, which usually amounts to one on one or one on two coaching. Also you can get some help during a match. I'll be overseas for the first one this year in April but will be at the next one. I'd offer to have you join me for some range time but I'm not close. Someone may be able to help.

If you don't find a lower that fits to your liking, you can buy some No. 7 O-rings from the hardware store and stuff one over the front trunnion of your upper. Push the O-ring all the way to the base of the trunnion. Tilting the upper pretty far forward makes it easier to insert the front takedown pin with the O-ring installed. Once the front is in, tilt the upper closed and push in the rear takedown pin. This little hack always works for me and takes out the annoying clearance between the upper and lower.
WhoaWhoa is that considered bedding the action!

Just a note most ranges wont allow 55-62 grain ammo past 200 yards and many wont let you shoot M855 or anything with a steel core.

Back
Top Bottom