1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Advice wanted for ar15 service upper

Discussion in 'Rifle Competition' started by millbilly, Nov 21, 2018.

1. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

I plan to order a cmp service rifle legal upper on Friday. Completely new to the sport. I will probably mostly just be shooting on my own at 100 and 200 yard ranges but want the ability to shoot in a cmp match when I ever have the time. Because of my limited access to longer ranges I don't think that I would need to shoot heavier bullets. So I am looking at the white oak armaments a4 post ban flat top upper with a front site post .62 and a removable carry handle with pinned site base. They are 50 bucks off this Friday as well. So my questions are is this a decent upper for a beginner for the price point? If I will be mostly shooting at 100 and 200 yards but occasionally longer range should I be ordering a 1/7 or a 1/8 twist if I will be mostly shooting 62gr bullets and occasionally heavier? Lastly looking for recommendations for a service rifle scope in case I see any good deals and spring for one now. With the sale this upper will be $620 not including the carry handle.

2. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

That upper will be capable of shooting a National record: some of the world's top shooters use that upper. It's the best at any price point and for any skill level.

That being said, I'd opt for the upper with a forend rail system. Less parts, simpler system, easier re-barrels, and still CMP legal.

amb likes this.
  3. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

I think I spent more building my service rifle A2 upper!
    Only thing I can tell you is make sure of your rules for what ever game your playing. Just a note CMP has 2 types of "matches"
    high power (service rifle)
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf?ver=11062018
    in particular AR/M16 style rifles 4.1.1. Section C I noticed barrels cant exceed .750 forward of the gas block. IDK if this is new just noticed it reading through the 2018 rules?

and Games
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMPGamesRules.pdf?ver=07112018

enjoy the CF of ruleso_O

it may not be Ideal but FWIW I shoot 52 grainers through my 1/7 and they hold the 10 ring if I do at 200 yards. Have delivered some of my best cmp games scores with that combo.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  4. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Thanks for the input. I did end up ordering that upper and a variety of different match ammo to experiment with. Can't wait to get to the range with it. Now just need a sling. I'm leaning towards a leather 1907.

5. jasons

jasons Moderator Moderator NES Life Member NES Member

Ron Brown slings are nice

6. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

make sure you get a "service rifle" or "competition" 1907 sling.
    I have both ron brown and turner.
    i lean towards the brown more. I bought the 54" so dont have to worry about it being to short on any rifle.

7. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Patiently awaiting my upper and I'm gathering a bunch of different match grade ammo. I'm learning that many ammunition manufacturers buy sourced bullets from Sierra matchking. However the quality of the bullets does not seem consistent. The fiocchi ammo appeared to have less flat and uniform tips and have a small amount of corrosion. Is this typical and I'm overthinking it or will this affect accuracy? 20181201_110247.jpg

8. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

It IS disconcerting when you look close at the tips of HPBT bullets. You can meplat trim them, sort them for weight, shine them up, whatever. It won't make a bit of difference on paper.

9. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Would not surprise me one bit if other manufactures just pay sierra to stamp thier name on the package?

10. dw617

dw617 NES Member

I shot my first rapid sitting clean (100-5x) with hastily loaded Nosler 77gr "seconds". The tips were all over the place, which was probably the reason they were seconds.

11. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Sweet, glad we dont do sitting for cmp games!