• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice: Potentially Moving to the Northern Territories

From what I have seen, Residents are almost always at the Hospital. Being somewhere you can enjoy your limited time off, while staying close to work is not the worst Idea. Of course, If you match one of the big Boston Hospitals, thats not too shabby on the CV, plus the best teachers.

i don't think northern new england is the hot bed of freedom it once was. carpetbagger politicians are seeing to that. what looks attractive now can change in a couple of election cycles. my dream of living in vermont or maine has been long gone. at my age no sense jumping from the pan into the fire.

I have 3 doctors in the family (2 surgeons, one anesthesiologist) and a 4th studying to become a neuro surgeon.

The 3 that have been doctors for decades all did the same, for the residence, choose the place that will give you the best experience. Once you are past the residency, with good experience, as a doctor, you will be able to work anywhere. I would suck it up and stay in MA for a little longer. Unless you choose a hospital that sees a lot of a certain kind of patients, which is what you are looking for.

I am not a doctor myself, just going by what very successful doctors have told me.

As far as your choices, NH all the way. Although I would choose somewhere south near mountains. You have it all, mountains, beautiful land, but you can also shoot outside all year.

Last edited:
i was driving thru some rural quagmire in the southwest several years ago, visualize the little town from that movie "tremors", with a woman who was a registered nurse. we passed a ramshackle white house with an md shingle nailed on the siding and....guys stop me if you've heard this, i've posted it here before....and i asked out loud "why would someone want to be a doctor here?" my nurse friend said "someones got to graduate last in their class."

I second that on New Hampshire being my first choice. If you have Medical Concerns, Somewhere new Lebanon or Manchester, STAY THE F*** AWAY FROM KEENE!! Cheshire Medical Center is okay for cuts, and broken bones, anything else plan on going there to be sent home to die.

I second that on New Hampshire being my first choice. If you have Medical Concerns, Somewhere new Lebanon or Manchester, STAY THE F*** AWAY FROM KEENE!! Cheshire Medical Center is okay for cuts, and broken bones, anything else plan on going there to be sent home to die.

He/she is looking for a hospital to list as a place where he wants to work. His wish list for Match Day.

NH has Dartmouth-Hitchcock in Lebanon (and a smaller, sub-hospital in Manchester). Cheshire Medical Center is tied in with them, but not a part of the "teaching" hospital as far as I know. If traffic is right, you can be down to Boston in 2 hours.

NH has Dartmouth-Hitchcock in Lebanon (and a smaller, sub-hospital in Manchester). Cheshire Medical Center is tied in with them, but not a part of the "teaching" hospital as far as I know. If traffic is right, you can be down to Boston in 2 hours.

Cheshire Medical Center has been taken over by Dartmouth-Hitchcock. There are still many lingering problems, that are yet to be straightened out.

I wouldn't move to Vermont anymore unless you're from western Mass and are going to keep your job in western Mass. If you're commuting from Brattleboro to Springfield or Bennington to Pittsfield, then Vermont makes some sense. Or maybe if you inherit land in VT, where you're not paying for the property out of pocket. Otherwise, nah.

NH and Maine mean you're going to want to step up to the plate and show up at the state house, call the governor and your reps/senators, and be an active, not passive, gun owner. If you're looking for passive gun ownership where you can just send in your check to the gun club and the local gun rights group, NH and Maine aren't going to be a good long term option. NH and Maine need active people who are willing to help out. I lived in NH for a couple years while attending college and I started a shooting club at the college. This was before the 2018 election. If you're moving up there, you're going to want to watch the legislative happenings and updates and show up to speak or just be a part of the crowd.

The laws for both NH and Maine are as follows: take everything you learned about Mass and forget it all. Move far enough north to not have to deal with the crap below Concord, NH and Portland, ME. Carry permits are optional and not really necessary unless you're visiting Maine state parks or using the permit to reciprocate with other states outside of northern New England while traveling. Read the hunting abstracts for the hunting regulations.

When Im looking for a new doc, ( primary care docs seem to have high burnout) I alway check med school, and more importantly, residency hospital.
I always pass on the rookies from the boonies. Just sayin.
Plenty of time for hobbies when you retire early. Good luck with your picks.

The laws for both NH and Maine are as follows: take everything you learned about Mass and forget it all. Move far enough north to not have to deal with the crap below Concord, NH and Portland, ME. Carry permits are optional and not really necessary unless you're visiting Maine state parks or using the permit to reciprocate with other states outside of northern New England while traveling. Read the hunting abstracts for the hunting regulations.

You'll want the "carry permit" in NH for $10 for just this reason.

TITLE XII
PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE
CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS
Section 159:10
159:10 Sale Without License. – Any person who, without being licensed as herein provided, sells, advertises or exposes for sale, or has in his possession with intent to sell, pistols or revolvers shall be guilty of a class B felony if a natural person, or guilty of a felony if any other person.
Source. 1923, 118:9. PL 149:10. RL 179:10. RSA 159:10. 1967, 220:7. 1973, 528:86, eff. Oct. 31, 1973 at 11:59 p.m.

159:8 License to Sell. –
III. No pistol, revolver, or other firearm shall be delivered to a purchaser not personally known to the seller or who does not present clear evidence of his identity; nor to a person who has been convicted of a felony.
Source. 1923, 118:10. PL 149:8. RL 179:8. RSA 159:8. 1967, 220:5. 1979, 44:1. 1981, 553:6. 1991, 254:2. 1996, 167:1, eff. Aug. 2, 1996.

159:14 Exemption. – None of the provisions of this chapter shall prohibit an individual not licensed under the provisions thereof who is not engaged in the business of selling pistols or revolvers from selling a pistol or revolver to a person licensed under this chapter or to a person personally known to him.
Source. 1967, 220:9, eff. Aug. 21, 1967.

NH and Maine mean you're going to want to step up to the plate and show up at the state house, call the governor and your reps/senators, and be an active, not passive, gun owner.

I recently moved to NH from MA and I love the newfound freedoms. I joined a local club and along with the monthly newsletter the other day, one of the members sent along a summary of anti-gun legislation that is up for consideration by the NH Legislature in 2020. I knew about the Red Flag bill and the new anti shooting range bill but it goes far beyond that. There were at least ten bills ranging from an assault weapons ban to 3 day waiting periods for purchases. I did not move up to NH only to see it quickly turn into MA. My question to you is, what can I do? Having grown up in Mass, I have little faith in the "democratic process" and I considered things like writing state representatives and attending rallies at State Houses to be a waste of time that won't change anything. Perhaps in NH there is still some semblance of a system that works? I would like to help but don't know where to begin!

I recently moved to NH from MA and I love the newfound freedoms. I joined a local club and along with the monthly newsletter the other day, one of the members sent along a summary of anti-gun legislation that is up for consideration by the NH Legislature in 2020. I knew about the Red Flag bill and the new anti shooting range bill but it goes far beyond that. There were at least ten bills ranging from an assault weapons ban to 3 day waiting periods for purchases. I did not move up to NH only to see it quickly turn into MA. My question to you is, what can I do? Having grown up in Mass, I have little faith in the "democratic process" and I considered things like writing state representatives and attending rallies at State Houses to be a waste of time that won't change anything. Perhaps in NH there is still some semblance of a system that works? I would like to help but don't know where to begin!
Voting is the biggest thing that you can do. Unfortunately, a lot of gun owners that I know are too lazy to get out and vote. They whine about new restrictions, but won't take the few minutes to vote for pro-gun candidates. (sigh)

Voting is the biggest thing that you can do. Unfortunately, a lot of gun owners that I know are too lazy to get out and vote. They whine about new restrictions, but won't take the few minutes to vote for pro-gun candidates. (sigh)

I usually get my wife to go out and vote too in order to double our household's impact. One time in Mass a woman who was campaigning for Elizabeth Warren asked if I was going to vote for her when I answered the door. I told her there is no chance in hell and she had the gall to ask if my wife was home. The thought of subverting my family like that pissed me off. If a husband and wife go out and vote for different candidates, how can they keep each other's best interests at home?

Maine Med in Portland is one of the top cardiac hospitals in the country. What is your specialty going to be?

Unlike MA, NH State Reps work for a living and don't "live" in Concord behind granite walls. The state website lists their home addresses and personal phone numbers . . . use them. I did this in MA as well.

To date, my Wife and I have met and talked at length to 2 of our NH State Reps. Both are NRA Instructors and strong 2A defenders and they invited us to sit down with them to understand better how NH legislation works. After my Wife retires from her job at the end of this month, I am going to take them up on their offer . . . it will either be at our house or their house and they live nearby.

After we are here permanently I'll be making those trips up to Concord as well. My only complaint at what I see wrt hearings on bills is that there are 3 anti-gun bills slated to be heard in Concord next week on 3 successive days . . . it's unreasonable to expect people to show up on 3 consecutive days! But in MA where they hear 40-60 bills on the same day and only allow you 3 minutes to speak against them, that truthfully is worse!

I usually get my wife to go out and vote too in order to double our household's impact. One time in Mass a woman who was campaigning for Elizabeth Warren asked if I was going to vote for her when I answered the door. I told her there is no chance in hell and she had the gall to ask if my wife was home. The thought of subverting my family like that pissed me off. If a husband and wife go out and vote for different candidates, how can they keep each other's best interests at home?
I've been married for almost 50 yrs now and I never ask my Wife how she votes. She knows my opinion on the major issues and we usually think alike on things of substance, but not always.

Back
Top Bottom