• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice on Shoulder Holster System

Hello everyone... I am looking for advice on a Shoulder Holster System. I am a left handed shooter (most likely won't matter) and will be using an M&P 40 (4.25") and carry additional magazines. I would like to use it with other guns also (looking at G26 or Shield 9MM). While I like to carry OWB I am looking for another solution for this winter. I am a fuel truck driver and I am exposed to the elements quite often. I wear a zippered jacket that is water/wind resistant. So I figure with a Shoulder Holster System I can keep my equipment as dry as possible and if the need arises, have access to my weapon.

As this would be my first Shoulder Holster System, I intend on dry fire training to get familiar with the system. I would like input from the community as to which brand they like and if horizontal or vertical is preferred for you. I have seen online a Galco Miami Classic which is more money for me ($204.95 to piece together b/c they don't offer it in left handed configuration - versus RH is $195).

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks!!!
Jeff

Might be better off with a cross-draw option. Everyone I've ever talked to who tried the shoulder holster really did not care for it.

I'll throw this out there. Easy way to save a chick of cash.
I forget what's the name of the store , but it's a place you can buy leather and tooling etc . There one in Lowell and I've been to a few others. My dad is real big in working with leather so I've tagged along a few times .

Any ways every one of these stores I've gone in with him have DIY holster kits. Cow boy style few other types and shoulder holster . I think he paid like 60$ for it . It includes all the tools you need . If you want to put logos or art work on it you'll gave to buy those tools.
I've worn it a few times walking his land etc with my 1911 and thought it was pretty nice .
There made so thell work with 90% of guns. They explain how to fit the holster to the gun your going to carry .

I make holsters, but not shoulder rigs. I do keep one on hand for EXACTLY what you are going to do. Cold weather, under clothes discreet carry. It works, wise idea. Hit Ebay and check for lefty models. It's worth paying a little more for a nice one, better fit and finish and good retention.

My two cents!

Andy

Might be better off with a cross-draw option. Everyone I've ever talked to who tried the shoulder holster really did not care for it.

It doesn't solve the problem I am going to have with keeping my gear dry from the elements. OWB carry now when pulling the hose from the truck and filling the tank leaves my gear exposed when I raise my arms to do certain activities.

Jeff

I'll throw this out there. Easy way to save a chick of cash.
I forget what's the name of the store , but it's a place you can buy leather and tooling etc . There one in Lowell and I've been to a few others. My dad is real big in working with leather so I've tagged along a few times .

Any ways every one of these stores I've gone in with him have DIY holster kits. Cow boy style few other types and shoulder holster . I think he paid like 60$ for it . It includes all the tools you need . If you want to put logos or art work on it you'll gave to buy those tools.
I've worn it a few times walking his land etc with my 1911 and thought it was pretty nice .
There made so thell work with 90% of guns. They explain how to fit the holster to the gun your going to carry .

Thanks for the reply but I am not inclined to make something like this even with instructions.

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

I make holsters, but not shoulder rigs. I do keep one on hand for EXACTLY what you are going to do. Cold weather, under clothes discreet carry. It works, wise idea. Hit Ebay and check for lefty models. It's worth paying a little more for a nice one, better fit and finish and good retention.

My two cents!

Andy

I checked on EBAY but I did not come up with anything... It is very important for the holster to be fitted properly with good finish and retention. Can you leave a link to your product?

Jeff

Last edited:
I bought a Mitch Rosen Express Line, Style EXP, shoulder holster for my Sig 229. Fits good, two mag holders, and excellent retention. This holster also does not need to be clipped to the top of your trousers. He sells the more expensive model that is a bit nicer but it's concealed and who cares if it's not as pretty. I had to work to soften the retention strap that holds the gun in but now it works great.
Click on "Express Line" andScroll down near the bottom of this page: Rosen Product Line

Last edited:
I tried a few shoulder holsters back many years ago and only one was ever comfortable and reliable and that was the Jackass Shoulder Holster. Galco now owns that name but that is the only one I would personally spend money for if I wanted that style of carry.

Here's info on it including a bit about left-handed models.
JACKASS RIG SHOULDER SYSTEM: Holsters & Ammo Carriers: Shoulder Holster Systems at Galco

OpticsPlanet carries them and is currently running a 10% off everything sale (plus free shipping). But I don't see a holster listed for the M&P.

I'd suggest a phone call to Galco and see what they can tell you.

You can score a Miami classic on eBay for sub $100 if you're patient. Just picked up a Miami classic for 1911 for $76, and a Miami classic II for glock 17/19/22/23/26/27 for $100 shipped. Took 3 weeks of searching and bidding but they're out there.

Considering the fact that you will most likely be keeping your coat zipped up due to the elements, a shoulder rig may not be the best choice. I would consider carrying a revolver in a coat pocket.

Check out the "ULTRA Concealed Carry Holsters" from Concealed Carry Holsters | Deep Conceal on the web or Youtube. I have one and its a nice compact setup for the price and may be a good starter option. I do find the 4"-7" setup is great for a PPK380 but not so much for a G19 (bit to small). So prob look at the 6.5-9".

the Miami Classic style is what you want. I drove for work in my early 20's and carried a 2-1/2" SW mod 19 in an upsidedown clamshell shoulder rig. when I switched from Revolver to a Glock 23, I bought the horizontal holster for the rig. worked awesome.

try this
Pro Tech Horizontal Shoulder Holster for Glock 17 19 22 | eBay

Uncle Mike's Cross-Harness Horizontal Shoulder Holster Medium and Large Frame Autos 3.25" to 3.75" Barrels Size 16 Ambidextrous Nylon Black 87160

Thank you!

Jeff

I bought a Mitch Rosen Express Line, Style EXP, shoulder holster for my Sig 229. Fits good, two mag holders, and excellent retention. This holster also does not need to be clipped to the top of your trousers. He sells the more expensive model that is a bit nicer but it's concealed and who cares if it's not as pretty. I had to work to soften the retention strap that holds the gun in but now it works great.
Click on "Express Line" andScroll down near the bottom of this page: Rosen Product Line

That looks like a great option. Thank you for the information!

Jeff

I tried a few shoulder holsters back many years ago and only one was ever comfortable and reliable and that was the Jackass Shoulder Holster. Galco now owns that name but that is the only one I would personally spend money for if I wanted that style of carry.

Here's info on it including a bit about left-handed models.
JACKASS RIG SHOULDER SYSTEM: Holsters & Ammo Carriers: Shoulder Holster Systems at Galco

OpticsPlanet carries them and is currently running a 10% off everything sale (plus free shipping). But I don't see a holster listed for the M&P.

I'd suggest a phone call to Galco and see what they can tell you.

I actually emailed them last night because of the price difference that I mentioned in my first post. I was told that I would have to "build" the system because of the need for a left handed holster. The M&P is only available in the Miami Classic system, which they claim is based on the Jackass System. Thank you for the heads up on optics planet also...

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

You can score a Miami classic on eBay for sub $100 if you're patient. Just picked up a Miami classic for 1911 for $76, and a Miami classic II for glock 17/19/22/23/26/27 for $100 shipped. Took 3 weeks of searching and bidding but they're out there.

I haven[t really been on EBAY lately just because it's more of a store front than an auction site. I will keep an eye out though and see what turns up...

Thanks!
Jeff

Considering the fact that you will most likely be keeping your coat zipped up due to the elements, a shoulder rig may not be the best choice. I would consider carrying a revolver in a coat pocket.

I want to stay away from anything that has to go into an outer pocket. I carry some items and also money from deliveries. Thank you for the idea though, I appreciate it...

Jeff

Check out the "ULTRA Concealed Carry Holsters" from Concealed Carry Holsters | Deep Conceal on the web or Youtube. I have one and its a nice compact setup for the price and may be a good starter option. I do find the 4"-7" setup is great for a PPK380 but not so much for a G19 (bit to small). So prob look at the 6.5-9".

I have nver seen that system before. It appears to be a very secure system and stats tight to the body. Hmm... Got me thinking about that one now... For a fraction of the cost it might as well be a consideration to see if it is really what I want.

Thank you for the link...
Jeff

Jeff

I've had a Miami classic/jack ass rig for my G19 for for about 15 years. Admittedly I only wear it occasionally, in cases such as you described, but I find it very useful in those situations. The 2 mags on the offside help balance the the whole rig, making it a comfortable option.

I've had a Miami classic/jack ass rig for my G19 for for about 15 years. Admittedly I only wear it occasionally, in cases such as you described, but I find it very useful in those situations. The 2 mags on the offside help balance the the whole rig, making it a comfortable option.

I have a Mitch Rosen shoulder holster for my full-sized H&K USP .45 - I am very happy with it.

Thank you both for the input. Looks like I have a tough decision to make. The options presented to me are all good so I have to make one and try it. All your help has been appreciated!

Jeff

The main difference between the Miami classic and the jackass is the angle of the pistol. Miami classic is straight horizontal, jackass is angled grip down at about 45 degrees. Both are mildly adjustable within their ranges. Miami classic has leather straps, jackass suede. Miami holster is stitched, jackass is riveted. Between Miami classic I and II, the classic has vertical mag pouches with snap flaps, the II has horizontal open mag pouches.

The main difference between the Miami classic and the jackass is the angle of the pistol. Miami classic is straight horizontal, jackass is angled grip down at about 45 degrees. Both are mildly adjustable within their ranges. Miami classic has leather straps, jackass suede. Miami holster is stitched, jackass is riveted. Between Miami classic I and II, the classic has vertical mag pouches with snap flaps, the II has horizontal open mag pouches.

Thank you for the information I appreciate it...

Jeff

I'm gonna stray from the majority. I've carried a 1911 in a jackass and hated it. Conversely I just picked up a twenty dollar vertical shoulder rig from sportsmans guide on a recommendation from a friend. It sits lower and vertical and is worlds more comfy to me and that's with a SIG 220.

Tandy Leather in Chelmsford had kits last time I bought skins.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Back
Top Bottom