• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice on shotgun for deer hunting

I've decided to purchase a shotgun for deer hunting. I was wondering what brands/models other people are using for deer hunting and if you have any advice on selecting a hunting shotgun.

If you want a cheap reliable pump, you can't go wrong with a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. The 870 is the more popular of the two. i own both and personally prefer the Mossberg, but that's a personal preference. With either one you have the option to buy a combo which comes with a fully rifled barrel for sabot slugs and a smooth bore field barrel that you can use for all other loads. i would start my search by looking at these two models.
Good luck and welcome,
Matt

I'm not a hunter yet, but I bought the mossberg 500 combo at Dick's for $250 on sale. I've only used the field barrel so far for trapshooting. The rifled barrel has a cantilever scope mount, and a cheap scope was included. I figured you can't go wrong for the price.

I'm not a hunter yet, but I bought the mossberg 500 combo at Dick's for $250 on sale. I've only used the field barrel so far for trapshooting. The rifled barrel has a cantilever scope mount, and a cheap scope was included. I figured you can't go wrong for the price.

Agreed, that's the same combo I have. About the only way you can go wrong is trying to use the scope that is included. But for that price, you can still afford to get a decent cheap Bushnell shotgun scope. Then you can put the combo scope on a bb gun or something.

I hopeyou let a bunch of slugs fly long before you hit the woods with the new gun. Your quarry deserves to be dispatched quickly and humanely. Is it the same gage as your old gun? Even if it is, a new barrel will shoot differently especially a rifled one.

I have an old Celect-a-choke Mossberg and although I only shoot it for deer season I can tell you where it will hit out to 100 yards. Not that the areas I hunt allow this distance due to brush etc. I didn't have time this year to shoot it so it will sit until next year or a car shoot maybe.

Just my .02

Depends on how much you want to spend. If you are planning to keep it for a long time, then spend the extra $$. If your just want something for short $$, I would agree with the other guys.

I have a Remington 11-87 with a hastings cantalever barrel with a scope that works very well. I have had it for 12 years now and it shoots better now than it did 12 years ago (probably because of the newer shotgun shells).

Good luck and welcome.

I hopeyou let a bunch of slugs fly long before you hit the woods with the new gun. Your quarry deserves to be dispatched quickly and humanely. Is it the same gage as your old gun? Even if it is, a new barrel will shoot differently especially a rifled one.

He has a whole year before he can shotgun hunt again. I think he has time. [smile]

I have a Mossberg 500 trophy slugster that shoots great out past 125 yards. Remington 870's and Winchester 1300's work well too if you want a slug gun. You cannot go wrong with any of them.

I use a Remington 1100 with a smoothbore slug barrel. Sure, I have other shotguns I could use but I use that one.
I bought the gun new with two barrels for 300.00 in the mid- late eighties before rifled barrels were allowed or really even that popular.
With 2 3/4 inch Brenneke slugs I can hit a deer out to 100 yards with iron sights no problem. Some people say that the 2 3/4 inch chamber is a handicap and you need a 3 inch chamber but Ive never seen a deer that could tell the difference between the two.

I dont use buckshot very much due to its improved cylinder barrel but when need be it shoots buckshot well out to 25-30 yards.
Ive found the 1100 to be reliable and she runs without a hitch.
I dont know where you are hunting but for my hunting conditions the 1100 works perfectly. Ive shot well over 100 deer with that gun and if I live long enough I will shoot 100 more with it.

I use a Saiga 12 when I know I'm going to be in heavy brush.

This year I picked up a Mossberg 930 (semi-auto) Field/Deer combo. It comes with a 24" cantilevered rifled slug bbl and 26" ribbed, smooth bore, 3 chokes & fiber optic bead. Both bbls are ported. It also comes with 2 butt stocks, a Monte Carlo for the rifled slug bbl and a straight for the field bbl. You can also adjust stock drop with the included spacers.
I got this set up because I wanted a new deer gun and I wanted to try skeet and maybe some bird hunting. It's a great combo for the price. I've only shot it with the rifled bbl so far and it's something with the sabots. The scope isn't too bad and has held zero so far. I think a red dot will replace it though.

I personally think the H&R is one of the best shotguns for deer hunting. It is seriously very acurate. I would say that I have a pretty bad shoot with most rifles, however I shoot my 20 guage H&R very well. My whole set up was only 325.

If you want an all around gun I would go with a pump shotgun, but if you are looking for long range single shoots just for deer hunting the H&R is your gun.

Back
Top Bottom