Advice on joining

I love helicopters... only been up in 53s a couple times but its stupid fun and the insane ammount of power is awe inspiring. Nothing is more badass feeling than being inserted as a grunt via helicopter... even if its just in training.

QFT.

Yeah, really leaning towards the Guard and go the flight medic route.

Again, thanks for all the great info.
MOS like that will have lots of training and lots of opportunity to go on orders if that is what you want. Weekend a month and 2 weeks a year is much more guideline than rule. Pilots always have to stay current so there are always chances for air crew to fly.

I love helicopters... only been up in 53s a couple times but its stupid fun and the insane ammount of power is awe inspiring. Nothing is more badass feeling than being inserted as a grunt via helicopter... even if its just in training.

I keep telling myself Ill one day do national guard as a pilot... thats an option by the way, even without a college degree.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...
That's all great until you're out on the flight line swapping a radio on a running bird in February - BTDT not fun.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Nothing about New England in february is fun. But I bet you didnt sleep in the snow that night and get woken up at 0200 in -15 degree weather to stand firewatch in said snow. Grunt life in New England had its share of misery. ;) one of my friends was an occifer up in fort drum for 4 years... **** that shit.

And comm never works ever...

Bottom line is the most accurate recruiting poster which probably applies uniformly accross the Army and Marine Corps and to small subsets of the navy and nobody in the airforce is the classic "we didnt promise you a rose garden" Marine DI poster.

I got out of the reserves as a 24 year old Sergeant and I treated Marines junior to me as if they were the age they acted. Like it or not there are 24 and 25 year olds who are not only experts in their job, but very experienced as leaders on and off the battlefield. Does being treated with respect and consideration of your background mean you get to skip the bullshit that comes with being a certain rank and forgo customs and courtesies because you are older? No. It means a mature 18 year old private gets treated the same as a mature 29 year old private, and an immature 29 year old private gets treated the same as an immature 18 year old private. If anything I would hold more senior in age Junior Marines to a higher standard. In my unit age tended to bring wisdom. Its really a leadership style thing. I preferred the respectful method to the yelling method, but I wasnt above ****ing with people when they got stupid, and it probably ruined their day. Its the military, you'll be new, its how it works.

A caveat to this... some people are just dicks. Usually good leaders are at least fair, even if they are dicks... but occasionally shit slips through. You will see it, and that is, I think, what Dakar was alluding to.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Last edited:
Agreed...I'm older than 1 of my Gunny's. He treats me like I'm 20...I guess if you're not in The Corps since high school you apparently know nothing about life. It's entertaining sometimes, and annoying other times.

OP...exactly how old ARE you? I'm just wondering, but I know some NG guys at New Haven are easily in their late 40's.

I'm 24

you're all set, bro...you're still in the ballpark.

keep us updated and send us your address at basic so we can send you letters in pink envelopes sprinkled with glitter and womens perfume so you have to do push ups until you pass out (ask me how I know this shit will happen).

Have fun, man...Marine Corps boot camp was one of the most valuable experiences I have ever had. EVERYTHING they teach you has a purpose...don't second guess, just DO and you'll be all set.

I know little to nothing about combat arms, but if you're looking at working in SAR, I might have somewhere between a little bit and 16 years worth of insight on the SAR side of the USCG. If you're into freezing your balls off, chronic back and knee pain, getting hit on the head more than is generally accepted to be okay, and an unhealthy Vitamin M dependency, might be right up your alley.

Recruiting is pretty tight right now, but with a decent resume, you'd have a shot.

I can't help you with medical career fields. I can help with any general questions about the Air Force or the intelligence career fields if you are interested . I've been in the Air Force for about 3 years now.

If you have any questions about the Mass Guard shoot me a PM, I went to Benning when I was 24 basic wasn't all that bad. Currently in my 5th year of my 6 year hitch.

Back
Top Bottom