• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice on joining

Hey all, wondering if any current/ prior service could lend some friendly advice. I've always thought about joining the service ever since high school. I went and talked to several recruiters here and there and never made the committment. Anyways, I have always been interested in the medical/medic role. I have been an EMT for close to 7 years and work in a busy urban setting and feel that my experience as a civilian would benfit me in the military. I am currently 24 and thinking that the Reserves would be the best way to go. Thoughts?
PM Martlet. He'll hook you up with honest info.

Just remember, Recruiters have billets to fill and quotas to make. Never ever accept what a recruiter is telling you unless they are willing to give you it in writing with an approved signature on it. If it's not in writing, you're not going to get it.

Just remember, Recruiters have billets to fill and quotas to make. Never ever accept what a recruiter is telling you unless they are willing to give you it in writing with an approved signature on it. If it's not in writing, you're not going to get it.

This. Can't say it enough. Learned the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this... Plus do some research into whatever job your considering and how easy it translate into cilivian life.

Since your already a EMT, and want to go medic... See what involved in transferring over your skills if you want to advance your cilivian career.

My brother was a Navy medic attached to a Marine unit... When he got out he couldn't do shit without further schooling/ classes.

I was a C-130/ C5 mechanic.. When I got out, the FAA just let me take a few tests and gave me a cilivian mechanics license.

All about being able use the skills Uncle Sam taught you.

This.

And this.

this... Plus do some research into whatever job your considering and how easy it translate into cilivian life.

Since your already a EMT, and want to go medic... See what involved in transferring over your skills if you want to advance your cilivian career.

My brother was a Navy medic attached to a Marine unit... When he got out he couldn't do shit without further schooling/ classes.

I was a C-130/ C5 mechanic.. When I got out, the FAA just let me take a few tests and gave me a cilivian mechanics license.

All about being able use the skills Uncle Sam taught you.

If it's not in writing, you're not going to get it.
Happened to my cousin in the USMC. He joined with a promise of mechanic training; was assigned cook school.

My father (ex Navy) called the recruiter; asked for his CO; went up the chain of command. My cousin was called into the colonel's office at Paris Island and pressured to say no such promise was made. He stood his ground, the USMC investigated, concluded it was likely a promise was made, and assigned him to mechanic school.

As to reserves -

I friend of mine served in the Navy reserves without any prior service experience as a flight loadmaster. She chose the Navy because it was the only branch of the service that did not require boot camp since she was not "prior military". Not sure what the procedure on that is today.

Happened to my cousin in the USMC. He joined with a promise of mechanic training; was assigned cook school. My father (ex Navy) called the recruiter; asked for his CO; went up the chain of command. My cousin was called into the colonel's office at Paris Island and pressured to say no such promise was made. He stood his ground, the USMC investigated, concluded it was likely a promise was made, and assigned him to mechanic school. As to reserves - I friend of mine served in the Navy reserves without any prior service experience as a flight loadmaster. She chose the Navy because it was the only branch of the service that did not require boot camp since she was not "prior military". Not sure what the procedure on that is today.

I've been out of the Corps since 1998 and have seen this as well. Most that don't do well on the Asvab usually go in as an "Open Contract" Recruit. Meaning that they will go where there are needed to fill MOS and military needs. In most instances, you'll either become a grunt or a cook. A few I knew where told they could become Helicopter Mechs and will be stationed at NAS Memohis for training. They got orders to Infantry Training battalion then a grunt unit

Make sure you talk to a National Guard recruiter. Their benefits will beat the Reserves, at least in Mass they will. In the Mass National Guard you can go to a state or community college tuition and fee free for up to 120 credits.

Plus if you join and hate it, you only hate it one weekend a month. If you love it, you can go active duty (usually) or find a full-time gig in the National Guard.

I can also say my recruiter did not tell me any lies or half truths.

PM me if you want more information.

Last edited:
Hey all, wondering if any current/ prior service could lend some friendly advice. I've always thought about joining the service ever since high school. I went and talked to several recruiters here and there and never made the committment. Anyways, I have always been interested in the medical/medic role. I have been an EMT for close to 7 years and work in a busy urban setting and feel that my experience as a civilian would benfit me in the military. I am currently 24 and thinking that the Reserves would be the best way to go. Thoughts?

A guy who used to work for me was a LT in the reserves. If you'd like, PM me and I can connect you guys via email.

This. Can't say it enough. Learned the hard way.

Lots of us learned the hard way. Don't sign until you see everything you want on that contract.

+1 on National Guard vs Reserves. There are better benefits in many cases, and given that they've got medics in every kind of unit, a maneuver unit will always be more challenging than a support unit.

No offense intended toward all my CS/CSS brothers and sisters in NES.

I was an active duty Navy Corpsman for 11years. When I went through HM "A" School, a guy that was 28 and a paramedic was also in my class. I came in as an E1 and he negotiated E3 so that (pay/money/rank) is something to consider if going active duty. Cant speak to Reserves or another service.

There are so many routes you can go as a Corpsman and most will pay good money on the outside. I became a Biomedical Equipment Tech at my 8 year mark and have had great jobs. You can be anything from a pecker-checker to a pimple popper or a Fleet Marine Force (FMF) Corpsman to a deep sea diver. PM or email if you have questions about Navy Corpsman. Here are some other jobs that Corpsman can become:

HM-8401 Search and Rescue Medical Technician HM
HM-8402 Submarine Force Independent Duty Corpsman HM
HM-8403 Fleet Marine Force Reconnaissance Independent Duty Corpsman HM
HM-8404 Field Medical Service Technician HM
HM-8406 Aerospace Medical Technician HM
HM-8407 Radiation Health Technician HM
HM-8408 Cardiovascular Technician HM
HM-8409 Aerospace Physiology Technician HM
HM-8416 Nuclear Medicine Technician HM
HM-8425 Surface Force Independent Duty Corpsman HM
HM-8427 Fleet Marine Force Reconnaissance Corpsman HM
HM-8432 Preventive Medicine Technician HM
HM-8434 Hemodialysis/Apheresis Technician HM
HM-8445 Ocular Technician HM
HM-8446 Otolaryngology Technician HM
HM-8451 Basic X-Ray Technician HM
HM-8452 Advanced X-Ray Technician HM
HM-8454 Electroneurodiagnostic Technician HM
HM-8463 Optician HM
HM-8466 Physical Therapy Technician HM
HM-8467 Occupational Therapy Assistant HM
HM-8472 Biomedical Photography Technician HM
HM-8478 Advanced Biomedical Equipment Technician HM
HM-8479 Basic Biomedical Equipment Systems Technician HM
HM-8482 Pharmacy Technician HM
HM-8483 Surgical Technologist HM
HM-8485 Psychiatry Technician HM
HM-8486 Urology Technician HM
HM-8489 Orthopedic Cast Room Technician HM
HM-8491 Special Operations Independent Duty Corpsman HM
HM-8492 Special Operations Technician HM
HM-8493 Medical Deep Sea Diving Technician HM
HM-8494 Deep Sea Diving Independent Duty Corpsman HM
HM-8495 Dermatology Technician HM
HM-8496 Mortician HM
HM-8503 Histopathology Technician HM
HM-8505 Cytotechnologist HM
HM-8506 Medical Laboratory Technician, Advanced HM
HM-8541 Respiratory Therapy Technician HM

My Army recruiter never lied to me, and gave me exactly what I asked for.[smile]

But then...it was 1966, and I asked for Airborne Infantry........in a building full of hippy pansies trying to not get drafted![rofl][rofl]

Marine Corps infantry or go home.

But seriously PM me with any questions. Former 0331 Sergeant in the USMCR, OEF in 2011

If I were in your shoes and had a hard on for the medical side of things I'd try to get into an Army guard dustoff unit (helicopters), or infantry unit. If you can get contract greenside Corpsman with the navy with a Marine infantry unit that would be a good time as well.

Frankly I'd do in the military what you want to do in the military without thinking much about the civilian career thing. In the reserves you won't be special as an EMT. In my Marine Unit all of our Corpsmen were either full blown Paramedics or EMTs on the outside... hell at least half of my platoon had been trained as EMTs at one point (3/5 of us in my truck were EMTs or Paramedics when we were in Afghanistan) and we had a few guys as grunts who were paramedics in real life, which is always useful.

As far as the "open contract" thing goes... only people who want to be grunts are grunts now a days. Most open contract guys go to the least desirable MOS's like food services, ammo techs, supply, and admin. Infantry is pretty self selecting and most people I know who have done infantry in addition to other MOS's say there is much more comraderie among grunts.

Other things to think about: The National Guard will give you a free ride in the UMass system just by serving, other reserve branches will require you to actually deploy to get decent benefits, and those aren't guaranteed like they were the past decade.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Last edited:
Lots of good info here.

I'll echo asking Marlett.

I'll also echo Guard over Reserve. In practice, you''ll probably find the Guard to have better benefits than the Reserve. Also, the Guard is mostly Combat Arms units, while the Reserve is mostly support units. There are support units in the Guard, but usually they are divisional assets.

Guard recruiters generally don't lie, but some will, and most will at least lean you towards certain units. Avoid that. Go to the unit you want to go to, if they have a position for you open. Any Guard recruiter can put you in any unit in his state, if there's an opening and you qualify,

ANYTHING promised, but not in writing is generally considered invalid. So, if it isn't in writing, on the enlistment paperwork, then it doesn't exist. Last I knew, there was a statement that had to be initialed that there were no verbal only promises.

And, feel free to also run anything you want past me. I served just under 40 years, Regular Army and VT Guard mostly. Retired E-7 myself. Got into the VT State Guard last year, and am currently a 2LT (a temporary drop from MSG). And, I was full time in a maintenance shop.

QFTT!

Martlet is or was a recruiter so he should be able to help you at least with the branch he's connected to.

Stick with the Guard, bro. I joined the Marine Corps when I was 29…I find fitting in very difficult. I have a lot more to offer the Corps than a lot of the younger guys, and that's what makes it a positive experience for me. Other than that, the reserves suck. Low pay/few bennies/no respect from active guys even though I did my MOS in the Corps in the civilian world since most of the shit dick mechs were in diapers...it's just a different world. I tried to get in at 25th Marines up at Devens, but they stuck me down all the way in ****ing New Haven. 2 hours each way plus a haircut and food/expenses...I'm lucky if I walk away with $20 from a drill weekend. I'm not trying to discourage you from joining, but if you're as old as I am...don't join the USMCR. Go Guard and enjoy your time serving instead of being made to feel like a loser for not joining when you were 17. Just my $.02

Stick with the Guard, bro. I joined the Marine Corps when I was 29…I find fitting in very difficult. I have a lot more to offer the Corps than a lot of the younger guys, and that's what makes it a positive experience for me. Other than that, the reserves suck. Low pay/few bennies/no respect from active guys even though I did my MOS in the Corps in the civilian world since most of the shit dick mechs were in diapers...it's just a different world. I tried to get in at 25th Marines up at Devens, but they stuck me down all the way in ****ing New Haven. 2 hours each way plus a haircut and food/expenses...I'm lucky if I walk away with $20 from a drill weekend. I'm not trying to discourage you from joining, but if you're as old as I am...don't join the USMCR. Go Guard and enjoy your time serving instead of being made to feel like a loser for not joining when you were 17. Just my $.02

The Marine Corps is a very "young" service. Most of our new joins were 18-21. Not that there's anything wrong with that... but it would be rough coming in as a private a bit on the older side.

Again, all of this will depend on what you are trying to get out of your service.

Mike

I love helicopters... only been up in 53s a couple times but its stupid fun and the insane ammount of power is awe inspiring. Nothing is more badass feeling than being inserted as a grunt via helicopter... even if its just in training.

I keep telling myself Ill one day do national guard as a pilot... thats an option by the way, even without a college degree.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

The Marine Corps is a very "young" service. Most of our new joins were 18-21. Not that there's anything wrong with that... but it would be rough coming in as a private a bit on the older side.

Again, all of this will depend on what you are trying to get out of your service.

Mike

Agreed...I'm older than 1 of my Gunny's. He treats me like I'm 20...I guess if you're not in The Corps since high school you apparently know nothing about life. It's entertaining sometimes, and annoying other times.

OP...exactly how old ARE you? I'm just wondering, but I know some NG guys at New Haven are easily in their late 40's.

Back
Top Bottom