• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice on getting Class A LTC

I Originally Posted this over at Masscops.com and they told me that this place was the place to find out specifics on my question.

I would like to state first off that I am a civilian that is looking for this advice. I've never been charged with any crime that would perclude me from getting this. I do not have a police record, and the only thing that may or may not have any bearing on this is my questionable driving record. So now that this is out of the way.

I'm attempting to Apply for my Class A LTC in my city (Waltham) I asked a friend who I believe is on this forum (though I do not know his SN) if he could write me a letter of referance to fufill one of the three that I need for this. He told me that there was little to no chance that I was going to get this permit in this city and that they do not even allow their Police Officers to get this permit (though if I am not mistaken they are allowed to carry anyway "under the badge". If I am mistaken please let me know). When he told me this it bothered me, as I have just moved to Waltham from Newton (where also I was told it was near impossible to get a Class A. Which was a reason I was hesitant to spend the money to try in case I was rejected).

So assuming that what he told me is not true, Or has some truth to it in that the Waltham PD does not give these out easily. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on doing anything that would help my chances of them saying yes to this.

My Intention is to carry for personal protection and also for Range and possibly competition shooting down the line. I assume those would be the reasons to put down. But as there is also an interview involved is there anything you guys can tell me that will make it more likely for them to issue me one. As of Now I was planning on treating it like a job interview. Wearing nice clothes, making sure I look presentable and responsible for the interviewing Officer and generally having a professional appearance about me to allow the interviewing Officer to see that I am serious about the responsiblity that I am taking by asking for this permit.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Waltham does not issue a "ALP" Class A to first timers. you will be given a neutered "Target/Hunting" license for your first issue. If everything goes well, you will be able to get a unneutered license the second time around(6 years later from what I understand).

The only caveat to this is: if you own a business or carry large amounts of money.

you are in Waltham, forget a LTC A with no restrictions, doesn't happen, never will on first time out unless you are connected or hell has frozen over.

If you want a LTC A no restrictions, MOVE, and make sure you tell the Mayor, etc why you are leaving.

I Originally Posted this over at Masscops.com and they told me that this place was the place to find out specifics on my question.

I would like to state first off that I am a civilian that is looking for this advice. I've never been charged with any crime that would perclude me from getting this. I do not have a police record, and the only thing that may or may not have any bearing on this is my questionable driving record. So now that this is out of the way.

I'm attempting to Apply for my Class A LTC in my city (Waltham) I asked a friend who I believe is on this forum (though I do not know his SN) if he could write me a letter of referance to fufill one of the three that I need for this. He told me that there was little to no chance that I was going to get this permit in this city and that they do not even allow their Police Officers to get this permit (though if I am not mistaken they are allowed to carry anyway "under the badge". If I am mistaken please let me know). When he told me this it bothered me, as I have just moved to Waltham from Newton (where also I was told it was near impossible to get a Class A. Which was a reason I was hesitant to spend the money to try in case I was rejected).

So assuming that what he told me is not true, Or has some truth to it in that the Waltham PD does not give these out easily. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on doing anything that would help my chances of them saying yes to this.

My Intention is to carry for personal protection and also for Range and possibly competition shooting down the line. I assume those would be the reasons to put down. But as there is also an interview involved is there anything you guys can tell me that will make it more likely for them to issue me one. As of Now I was planning on treating it like a job interview. Wearing nice clothes, making sure I look presentable and responsible for the interviewing Officer and generally having a professional appearance about me to allow the interviewing Officer to see that I am serious about the responsiblity that I am taking by asking for this permit.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

LTC A can be had in Waltham. Getting an LTC A with no restrictions can be a little more difficult but it is not impossible. You will have to do a good job in your interview and you will have to have a compelling reason.

I spoke to one Chief who is very much in favor of allowing LTC A w/ no restrictions. He did tell me that if he sees a driving history that indicates a disregard for the law he may then question the suitablility of the applicant.

I would highly recommend getting 3 letters from high profile people in the Waltham community. Politicians, LEO, business owners and the Chief's neighbor are all good places to start.

As others have said, you should be able to get a restricted LTC-A. But getting an unrestricted one is darn near impossible unless you have a compelling, documented reason (e.g., you are a jeweler and often make cash deposits, transport jewels, etc.).

LTC A can be had in Waltham. Getting an LTC A with no restrictions can be a little more difficult but it is not impossible. You will have to do a good job in your interview and you will have to have a compelling reason.

So, Waltham likes this? [thinking]

dpshow.jpg

We could make a killing in MA renting these out, with all these red and yellow towns.

-Mike

Well I just moved here from Newton, which I was told was pretty impossible too and I really don't know anyone here. I'm now wishing that I had tried in Newton where I know a lot of the cops. I was hoping it was gonna be easier here, however if I need to put on a dog and pony show for them I will break out the clydesdales with some german shepards and go for broke. My reasons for wanting this are the fact that in the month i've been here, I've had more Shady stuff happen then the 14 years I lived in Hyde Park.
I honestly Don't feel all that safe walking around here at night. Unfortunately I don't know if giving that reason is a good way to go, kinda saying in a roundabout way that your city is crappy. Don't think the chief would appreciate that, though since I have not tried I don't know what would be the right thing to say to make the case for an unrestricted one.
I'm trying to get three letters of Reference from friends of mine who are LEOS. So hopefully that will help in regards to getting one. Though if anyone has the addy of the Chief's neighbor I will glady bring them a fruit basket in return for a letter of referance :)

do yourself a favor and move, the situations you speak of are not going to go away, the licensing situation isn't going to get better, pick a nice "green" town off our list and move there.

If you get a restricted license in Waltham it can be up to 5 years before you can get it unrestricted, if you wait and apply in a "green" town, you won't have to worry that the new town, as "green" as it might be, won't allow you to upgrade. Oh it will cost you another C note plus to try

do yourself a favor and move, the situations you speak of are not going to go away, the licensing situation isn't going to get better, pick a nice "green" town off our list and move there.

If you get a restricted license in Waltham it can be up to 5 years before you can get it unrestricted, if you wait and apply in a "green" town, you won't have to worry that the new town, as "green" as it might be, won't allow you to upgrade. Oh it will cost you another C note plus to try

well yeah this is about the definition of Easier Said than done. But thanks.

well yeah this is about the definition of Easier Said than done. But thanks.

The only place you can use a LTC A restricted is a range, hunting or to defend yourself in your house for the most part.

If you are thinking you are going to move in the next few years, forget the LTC, get a FID and a good shotgun to protect yourself in the home, and make plans to get out.

This best advice that you can receive is written above in quotes. I am 1 month into the process of trying to get the restrictions removed by a new interm chief of 11 months after having my restricted license for over a year now. It is not worth the aggravation if you can avoid it from the beginning. I am working on another solution to this problem that I believe will lead to a higher percentage of success than playing the current begging game. If you choose to follow through with Waltham, DO NOT list anything specific. Stick to the concept that you wish to protect your family and yourself from harm at home and away from home- no more / no less. The more detailed reasons you give, the more reasons they will have to restrict. I was told by the initial screener that my letter wasn't good or detailed enough and not knowing any better, I listened. All she was looking for were examples to restrict- which I gave her unknowingly.
Prior to the interview, if you have to go through one, practice what you are going to say without using law terminology or using the word "RIGHT(S)" and be prepared to counteract every reason that they may give to deny in a positive non-confrontational way. As others have posted, it's also very good to know someone in the department, which will allow you to avoid all of this nonsense in the first place. Good Luck

I know the town sucks, but why do people say he has no chance in hell of getting a unrestricted LTC. That is the reason they're still able to deny or regulate peoples rights. They think they have lost before they even walk in the door.

make sure you ask for All Lawful Purposes

I know the town sucks, but why do people say he has no chance in hell of getting a unrestricted LTC. That is the reason they're still able to deny or regulate peoples rights. They think they have lost before they even walk in the door.

The "reason they can deny peoples rights" is because the law in MA makes it legal for them to do so. In most cases this isn't a matter of barging into the PD and going "I want ALP!!!". The red towns will just laugh at you. The law empowers them to do this heinous crap. I'm not saying it's "right"- hell, it pisses me off. Barging into the PD and stamping your feet, however (and asserting your rights) is not going to get you an unrestricted license.

The dog and pony show trick might work, but that's about it. That's basically gaming the system to get the license you want, which is fine by me. Not everyone has the resources to do that, though, and it's not always effective.

-Mike

It was more of a rhetorical question, I know why its that way I just don't agree with it. It's a confidence killer, and adds to the problems with this state and "gun control" when people deal with it because "thats the way it is" and "there is nothing I could do about it anyways"

Well I went down to a local gun store and talked to one of the guys there. He told me that Waltham has no problem giving out Class A with the Target/hunting restriction, but there is little to no chance that I will get unrestricted because "They don't know me". Which is understandable. At least I will be able to get the Class A for High Cap so if I ever wanna get an AR-15 or something of the sort I will be able to. Thank you all for the information. I will definately be hanging around here and talking to you guys. I would really like to get in on some of the shooting days you guys have once I get my LTC. I need to also get my own gun eventually too lol.

The "reason they can deny peoples rights" is because the law in MA makes it legal for them to do so. In most cases this isn't a matter of barging into the PD and going "I want ALP!!!". The red towns will just laugh at you.

You are lucky if all they do is laugh at you. Remember Don Swartz?

The law empowers them to do this heinous crap. I'm not saying it's "right"- hell, it pisses me off. Barging into the PD and stamping your feet, however (and asserting your rights) is not going to get you an unrestricted license.

Agree completely.

Well I went down to a local gun store and talked to one of the guys there. He told me that Waltham has no problem giving out Class A with the Target/hunting restriction, but there is little to no chance that I will get unrestricted because "They don't know me". Which is understandable. At least I will be able to get the Class A for High Cap so if I ever wanna get an AR-15 or something of the sort I will be able to. Thank you all for the information. I will definately be hanging around here and talking to you guys. I would really like to get in on some of the shooting days you guys have once I get my LTC. I need to also get my own gun eventually too lol.

If you go green there is two coming in November, its only $19 to join. I'll gladly let you shoot any of my guns if you bring some ammo.

Edit: Who is Don Swartz?

It was more of a rhetorical question, I know why its that way I just don't agree with it. It's a confidence killer, and adds to the problems with this state and "gun control" when people deal with it because "thats the way it is" and "there is nothing I could do about it anyways"
Sorry, but I disagree with you completely. People need to be given accurate information so that they know what they are up against.

I know people with unrestricted licenses in Waltham. One was a woman who was a jeweler (i.e., cash deposits, carries jewels, target of armed robberies, etc.) and even she had a hard time getting it.

Can you get an unrestricted license in Waltham? Yes, if you are in the right situation (e.g., can document that you have to carry lots of cash, etc.). Not easy, but possible.

For the average working stiff, you can't write some BS letter or sweet-talk the licensing officer and get an unrestricted license in Waltham, and we shouldn't let people think that is the case. They should know how hard is so that if they really want one, they know to go all out (e.g., get extensive training, become an instructor, hire an attorney, etc.).

Last edited:
Well I went down to a local gun store and talked to one of the guys there. He told me that Waltham has no problem giving out Class A with the Target/hunting restriction, but there is little to no chance that I will get unrestricted because "They don't know me". Which is understandable.
I don't think it is understandable. I think it is complete crap and an infringement on your rights. But that, and $3.50, will get me a latte, not an unrestricted LTC in Waltham.

I'm not familiar with the name.... I assume there's a bad story behind it, where he got screwed by the PD?
It's a long story. He stamped around in the police station, behaving badly, and was arrested for trespassing. In recent years GOAL's Message letter to the editor page often ran his rantings.

Sorry, but I disagree with you completely. People need to be given accurate information so that they know what they are up against.

I know people with unrestricted licenses in Waltham. One was a woman who was a jeweler (i.e., cash deposits, carries jewels, target of armed robberies, etc.) and even she had a hard time getting it.

Can you get an unrestricted license in Waltham? Yes, if you are in the right situation (e.g., can document that you have to carry lots of cash, etc.). Not easy, but possible.

For the average working stiff, you can't write some BS letter or sweet-talk the licensing officer and get an unrestricted license in Waltham, and we shouldn't let people think that is the case. They should know how hard is so that if they really want one, they know to go all out (e.g., get extensive training, become an instructor, hire an attorney, etc.).

Ok, well said. I see your point, people should know what they're getting into, it's the way in which they're told that I don't like. To say "LTC A no restrictions is hard to get in waltham, but it's not impossible" is one thing, saying that it will never happen, or good luck is a completely different. I guess it's all in the context.[smile]

Ok, well said. I see your point, people should know what they're getting into, it's the way in which they're told that I don't like. To say "LTC A no restrictions is hard to get in waltham, but it's not impossible"

I think that is understating the difficulty. I think it would be more accurate to say that if you can document that you have a higher threat than most people (e.g., you must carry large amounts of cash, threats have been made against your life, etc.), then it is very hard to get.

For the average bear, the word "impossible" is not far off the mark.

I don't think it is understandable. I think it is complete crap and an infringement on your rights. But that, and $3.50, will get me a latte, not an unrestricted LTC in Waltham.

I'm not saying that I don't agree with you. And I AM going to ask for it ALP. However if it comes down to me either getting rejected or walking out with a restricted. I will walk out with the restricted.

I was also told they they will ususally change it to unrestricted when i go to renew it in 5 years.

However if it comes down to me either getting rejected or walking out with a restricted. I will walk out with the restricted.

Last thing you want is a denial, it causes all sorts of problems.
You'll get a LTC A restricted, which sucks, but you can at least buy almost anything you want, compared to someone who has been B rammed and is stuck with low capacity guns.

Back
Top Bottom