• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice on applying to "Black town" for LTC A: unrestricted

Dear NES residents

I am coming here looking for advice on how to go about applying for a LTC A (ALP) as a current resident of Canton, MA. I have already abused the search function and have found only a few successful instances where a LTC A was issued.

A little background info on myself:

I am a medical student at Boston University and I commute between Canton and the BU med campus. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, I work at Mattapan Community Health Center at night until 9 or 10 pm. I then take the bus to my girlfriends residence in Dorchester. The walk is roughly 2-3 miles to the bus station through what most people would consider a rough neighborhood and have had the displeasure of running into a few of the unfriendlier inhabitants on my commute...

This would also be my first application for a LTC so I would also have that working for me as well...

I am looking for tips, advice, or any recommendations on the matter. I understand that contacting Scrinver or Cross-X would greatly help but seeing as how me and my descendants will be indebted to BU for the near future, I'd like to keep that route as a last option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
Robert

Welcome and good luck.

First off, regrettably Cross-X is no longer with us, he passed away a number of months ago. [sad]

You may have a fighting chance given what you stated, but ONLY if you get some excellent advise on how to present that info. I'd recommend Jesse Cohen or Keith Langer to help you work out the details. I'll tell you that you are going to have a rough time there.

Also contact Comm2A for any advice they may have. www.comm2A.org

...I originally went in for sporting and hunting as I live in a red state but last minute decided to go for unrestricted.

Welcome to NES Johnny D!

I assume you live in the blue state of Massachusetts in a red town [wink]...

...if you would live in a red state you would be lucky and none of this restrictions/police chief nonsense would be necessary! [smile]

Last edited:
Thanks LenS for your speedy responses. I will definitely look up both of them and get in contact with Comm2a. I find it a bit disheartening that I would need to build such a strong case only to hold a small chance in a matter of self defense.

As a follow up question would I stand a better chance if I changed my residence to Dorchester or is it going to be an uphill battle unless I moved to a green town?

I'm sorry to hear about Cross-X, he will be missed.

Thanks LenS for your speedy responses. I will definitely look up both of them and get in contact with Comm2a. I find it a bit disheartening that I would need to build such a strong case only to hold a small chance in a matter of self defense.

As a follow up question would I stand a better chance if I changed my residence to Dorchester or is it going to be an uphill battle unless I moved to a green town?

I'm sorry to hear about Cross-X, he will be missed.

canton ahs the potential to B-ram you with an LTCB, but in Dorchester (Boston) you arent going to get unrestricted A, you will get restricted. I still think you are better applying in Canton as I have seen unrestricted A's from people there...

Dear NES residents

I am coming here looking for advice on how to go about applying for a LTC A (ALP) as a current resident of Canton, MA. I have already abused the search function and have found only a few successful instances where a LTC A was issued.

A little background info on myself:

I am a medical student at Boston University and I commute between Canton and the BU med campus. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, I work at Mattapan Community Health Center at night until 9 or 10 pm. I then take the bus to my girlfriends residence in Dorchester. The walk is roughly 2-3 miles to the bus station through what most people would consider a rough neighborhood and have had the displeasure of running into a few of the unfriendlier inhabitants on my commute...

This would also be my first application for a LTC so I would also have that working for me as well...

I am looking for tips, advice, or any recommendations on the matter. I understand that contacting Scrinver or Cross-X would greatly help but seeing as how me and my descendants will be indebted to BU for the near future, I'd like to keep that route as a last option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
Robert

I am sure you aware, but be careful with how you word your argument so it doesnt sound like you want to carry a gun to school (verboten on school grounds), but otherwise, I wish you luck!

Here's how it works in Canton. They used to give you a Class B for a year, and then you can apply for a class A. I've never heard of them issuing one without some sort of restriction. They may have changed their policy and started issuing Class A's off the bat with T&H restrictions, but I doubt it.

Actually, I take that back, I do know of one case where they did issue an A with no restrictions to someone, but he had an FID for for 5 years before that.

Black is a good color for it, it's not red and certainly not green.

Good luck - you're better off getting Lt. Keleher over Lt. Sherrill. He's a bit more easy going.

Keep in mind that it's the chief that sets the policy there, and they are just following his rules. He runs a pretty tight ship.

Last edited:
Here's how it works in Canton. They used to give you a Class B for a year, and then you can apply for a class A. I've never heard of them issuing one without some sort of restriction. They may have changed their policy and started issuing Class A's off the bat with T&H restrictions, but I doubt it.

Actually, I take that back, I do know of one case where they did issue an A with no restrictions to someone, but he had an FID for for 5 years before that.

Black is a good color for it, it's not red and certainly not green.

Good luck - you're better off getting Lt. Keleher over Lt. Sherrill. He's a bit more easy going.

Keep in mind that it's the chief that sets the policy there, and they are just following his rules. He runs a pretty tight ship.

hopefully we can run that ship aground in a few years and take discretionary licensing as our hostage

Thanks for all the responses you guys have been quite insightful on the matter.

I am sure you aware, but be careful with how you word your argument so it doesnt sound like you want to carry a gun to school (verboten on school grounds), but otherwise, I wish you luck!

Sorry about the confusion. I plan (hopefully anyways) to only carry after classes. Even if something goes wrong there... hell I'm at a great trauma hospital :[smile]

You may have a fighting chance given what you stated, but ONLY if you get some excellent advise on how to present that info. I'd recommend Jesse Cohen or Keith Langer to help you work out the details.

Sorry to seem ignorant on the matter but... how do lawyers present the information differently?

Attorney Cohen is doing a LTC application class at Mass Firearms School on Sunday. If you can make it, that might help you with polishing up your application.

Thanks asquared!

That class is exactly what I was looking for. I won't be able to make it this Sunday, however, I believe they have a class every month so I should be able to attend the next one.

Thanks for the replies,
Robert

Thanks asquared!

That class is exactly what I was looking for. I won't be able to make it this Sunday, however, I believe they have a class every month so I should be able to attend the next one.

Thanks for the replies,
Robert

I had a great experience with Jesse Cohen last year and I reccommend him highly. I have less experience with Keith Langer (other than one brief conversation and his "artful" posts on NES), but from what I understand he is a fantastic attorney, as well. I would suggest you contact either of them.

Last edited:
I have another followup question:

Does it help your application for LTC A to take more firearm safety courses than just the mandatory firearms safety? (Such as CCW safety or Responsible Use of Force for example)

That will vary from town to town. I intend to ask that very question of my LO when I meet with him (which regrettably won't help answer your question), hopefully sometime this week (to discuss other matters).

Only Ken B knows for sure what he'll give consideration to, and my impression of him is that it will be difficult at best to learn what training criteria he might consider for an unrestricted LTC-A.

Training is always a good thing. Your question is "is it good enough"? And that's like staring into a crystal ball to determine the answer.

Back
Top Bottom