Advice Needed.....

I was talking to my fiancee tonight and I find out that she hates the fact I have a 9mm pistol and an AK. Her dad was over yesterday, and I showed him both guns because he was asking if I was out shooting. I thought he was interested[thinking].....but he and my future mother in law have a big problem with the guns. They are both voted for Obama and love the job he has done(I think you get the picture). My fiancee has more of a problem with the money I spent on the guns, not just the fact she thinks they are "dangerous". Her dad said that myself, my fiancee, and both her parents need to get together and "talk about it". I think, and most of you I think agree, there is nothing to talk about.

Has anyone had to deal with a similar situation? Any suggestions?

ive had gf's in the past that hated guns. i have family that hate guns also.

but you know what, they learn to deal with it. if the person you love has respect and trust for you, then whats the big deal with owning one?

im 24, and i have a friggin safe filled with all sorts of interesting crap. it "freaks" people out on a routine basis when they see it. (whats a guy my age need that stuff for?!)

it blew over in all of my cases.

I was talking to my fiancee tonight and I find out that she hates the fact I have a 9mm pistol and an AK.

I don't blame her. think she is trying to send you a message. That message is that you really need a .45 and and AR. Follow my advice and marital bliss is guaranteed.

Dench;926596 it blew over in all of my cases.[/QUOTE said:
I think it will blow over, but it is just ridiculous. I said "If I bought a TV for $500 would you feel the same way?" She said "No...because it's (My AK) a f*cking gun, and they shoot people." Then I went out to the grocery store and when I came back I looked in the cabinet where I store it with a nervous look on my face. After she asked me what was wrong I said "I want to make sure the rifle didn't get out and shoot anyone while I was out." She was able to laugh at that and realized maybe she was over reacting to the whole situation.

GTFO. Seriously.

It's not the money. It's the guns.

If you value your hobby, your passion, and your freedom, get out now.

If she won't accept you as you are, right now, guns and all, she will never accept you. If you change to suit her, she will walk all over you for the rest of your relationship.

There's plenty of other girls out there...

Should find a way to get Dad to warm up to the idea. I have known several people that were very anti gun, but get them to go shooting once and they usually love it. If you belong to a club, do they have fishing derbys or pig roasts or something of the sort would be a good thing to invite him along and ease him into your interests. Plus if you actually get her dad there and lay out the offer to use the range in front of people he might be less likely to say no. Get him to shoot once and I am willing to bet he would have a new opinion. If the misses dad approves, then it would be that much harder for her to have an issue

Should find a way to get Dad to warm up to the idea. I have known several people that were very anti gun, but get them to go shooting once and they usually love it. If you belong to a club, do they have fishing derbys or pig roasts or something of the sort would be a good thing to invite him along and ease him into your interests. Plus if you actually get her dad there and lay out the offer to use the range in front of people he might be less likely to say no. Get him to shoot once and I am willing to bet he would have a new opinion. If the misses dad approves, then it would be that much harder for her to have an issue

I don't belong to a club yet, but I may invite him up to a sunday public shoot at Cape Ann.

Any suggestions?

well, gee, I dunno, maybe you could PUT ON YOUR SHOES AND RUN MAN!

Do you mean to tell me that her father has decided, unilaterally, that all of you need to sit down as a family to discuss their take on your Second Amendment rights?

Really?

I can't possibly be more serious when I tell you to nip this in the bud NOW!

However you do it, whatever you need to say, either get the message that your 2A rights are not up for a "group discussion" anymore than his parenting skills are, or get out of there, but do something that doesn't involve surrendering the few remaining shreds of your manhood.

Last edited:
However you do it, whatever you need to say, either get the message that your 2A rights are not up for a "group discussion" anymore than his parenting skills are, or get out of there, but do something that doesn't involve surrendering the few remaining shreds of your manhood.

No manhood will be surrendered, I can assure you of that. She couldn't get me to sell my Mustang and she sure as hell won't get me to sell the guns. There won't be a "group discussion" either.

I don't belong to a club yet, but I may invite him up to a sunday public shoot at Cape Ann.

hey, if you live in the north shore area i can drag you out to harvard and try that place out. its a hell of a drive from the northshore, but its 100% worth it if your a serious shooter. send me a PM if you want to try it out. im going tomorrow with the usual NES posse.

hey, if you live in the north shore area i can drag you out to harvard and try that place out. its a hell of a drive from the northshore, but its 100% worth it if your a serious shooter. send me a PM if you want to try it out. im going tomorrow with the usual NES posse.

Thanks for the offer, but I am working. I would love to take see it on a weekend or on one of my days off.

Get the girlfriend away from your future father in law if you can, fast. Move at least 10-15 miles away. Slowly teach her how guns are safe if you handle and store them properly and eventually she'll be wanting to go to the range with you over time and she will start to see things your way!!! I think we all have been in this situation at some point in our lives. As far as changing the old man - good luck!!

Get the girlfriend away from your future father in law if you can, fast. Move at least 10-15 miles away. Slowly teach her how guns are safe if you handle and store them properly and eventually she'll be wanting to go to the range with you over time and she will start to see things your way!!! I think we all have been in this situation at some point in our lives. As far as changing the old man - good luck!!

Hell, I moved from Louisiana to Arizona.

I was talking to my fiancee tonight and I find out that she hates the fact I have a 9mm pistol and an AK. Her dad was over yesterday, and I showed him both guns because he was asking if I was out shooting. I thought he was interested[thinking].....but he and my future mother in law have a big problem with the guns.

Unless she is either (1) a Kennedy or (2) looks like Pamela Anderson, get a new one. Seriously. I mean, giving up my guns is out of the question, so if she has a problem with it, either she comes to terms or I ditch her. Should have had the talk a long time ago.

But you real problem is dating women from Boston. They are all a bunch of koolaid drinking, anti-gun libtards...find a nice woman from NH or some other part of the country. With all of the students in Boston, it shouldn't be too hard. Besides, if you date a woman from MA, she is going to want to stay here forever after you get married to be with her family... <shutter>.

Plus, sounds like her dad is a total square. "Oh my God, he owns a gun!" Probably never been outside the 495 loop in his life...What if you were a cop? Then it would all be OK??

Last edited:
GTFO. Seriously.

It's not the money. It's the guns.

If you value your hobby, your passion, and your freedom, get out now.

If she won't accept you as you are, right now, guns and all, she will never accept you. If you change to suit her, she will walk all over you for the rest of your relationship.

There's plenty of other girls out there...

Sage advice. It's one thing if she is on you about this, but it's far worse if your future in laws are going to chime in too. How many other issues are they going to want to have family discussions about?

Grow a pair. Either make a stand & say "this is how it's going to be", or get out while it's not too late. Her parents have no place "talking" to you about this either. As your fiance, she really has no say (yet) with what you do with YOUR money. Make sure you really think about it, because after you're hitched she will have "say".

imho---- keep your firearms get rid of the gal speaking from lessons learned better to enjoy what you do then bend over and be unhappy about what you like to do. you need to sit down if you can and see what both of you like to come to a meeting of the minds if the other part really hates what you like ENDED it before you say I DO then its all over for what you like to do some may disagree thats ok but i enjoy what i have. you have to make that choice in the end no one here can make it.

You need to prove with complete certainty your safe storage and handling while at home. You then need to get the future FIL to the range with you to demonstrate the sporting aspects of firearms.

As for the financial issue, if you can afford firearms as a hobby, make it clear to the fiance that you're not compromising on this issue. If the firearms purchases cause you financial hardship, then you DO need to discuss your relationship, not as it pertains to firearms, but as it pertains to money.

Chris

Sounds like an intervention....

It's probably worthwhile to find out what they're worried about. If it's a safety issue, that's much different than 'we hate guns and they kill people' (like spoons make people fat...read that on one posters signature). Unfortunately, being a gun owner tends to carry a negative stigma by many uninformed (and ignorant) people.

My GF knew I was applying for a license and wasn't overly enthusiastic but didn't say too much about it either (she's one of them). One day she discovered that her Dad had a bunch of guns and goes shooting all the time..all of a sudden she wants to go shooting and is much more accepting. Either way, it wasn't going to change my decision to exercise my Second Amendment rights.

Try to get her out to the range to at least see what it's all about. It's never a bad idea to collect some information before rendering a decision. That could go a long way towards helping convince her parents that it's a respectable hobby, like any other.

+1 on converting them. Do it individually. I have done it, I was the only gun owner in my family, now there are 4 of us, and 4 more that want their LTC. Sell it like" You cannot hate what you have not tried" or something similar. Worked for me! And it brings more numbers to our side.

Back
Top Bottom