• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice needed

I am trying to convince the wife that she needs to be armed while I am away on orders.

She is 5 foot tall and 95 pounds and in great shape. I need to know what would be a good handgun for her.

Thanks in advance and Please No, "I'd Hit it" comments

I would say, go with what she is most comfortable with and will train on. Wheelies may be a bit easier for those who are not comfortable with the semi-autos.

S&W 620 or 686 -> It can take both .357 Mag and .38+p

Last edited:
She needs to choose the handgun and not us, or you for that matter. The only way to find this out is to directly involve her in the process. This means letting her try different handguns, or at least holding them to see how they feel, point, etc.

-Mike

I think a larger frame .38/.357 revolver would be a good choice, something like an S&W 627.

A semi auto might give her two problems, racking the slide might be difficult and she may be likely to limp wrist it.

Have her try different ones and see what she likes and is comfortable with. There are plenty here, me included that would let her try some of their handguns.

I'd also agree that wheel guns are the simplest and easiest handgun for a new person or someone who is unsure about he operations of a handgun. If she's that slight, she probably has small hands as well. I'd recommend a 642CT for self defense. It's light, rated for +P 38 Specials and has a laser grip to help her with aiming if a quick shot is ever needed.

I'd say that 38 is preferable for her as the 620, which is a fine handgun, is a monster to hold onto when using full load 357 mags. Might not be something you want to try with her if she's not a gun/recoil nut.

They are also fairly inexpensive as you can find a decent used 642CT in the $300-$400 range.

I am trying to convince the wife that she needs to be armed while I am away on orders.

She is 5 foot tall and 95 pounds and in great shape. I need to know what would be a good handgun for her.

Thanks in advance and Please No, "I'd Hit it" comments

I think the convincing comes way before you go shopping.. Giving her a gun that she is not ready to use can cause her more problems than good.

A couple of questions.

Is she interested in shooting?

Does she shoot anything now?

People who don't know her can make a lot of suggestions, some good and some not so good. If she is going to get a gun for self-defense she needs to get with an coach/instructor appropriate to her current level of ability and knowledge who can familiarize her with different firearms to see what see would like and would be best with. Just because she is a small woman does not mean she can't handle a bigger firearm. But if she is a beginner, she needs to work up to it.

It sounds like you may not be that person and realize it which is good.

My best advice is to find someone who can work with her in a non-emotional way and help her find what would be best for her.

I think the convincing comes way before you go shopping.. Giving her a gun that she is not ready to use can cause her more problems than good.

++

You need to convince her that she needs to defend herself in the first place. No point in dropping a grand on a nice setup, if its going to sit in the top drawer while she calls 911.

If she adopts the mindset ((that you didnt' push on her, just suggested)), then have her pick out something she is comfortable with. Otherwise its a safe queen in a top drawer/quick access safe.

From a self-defense standpoint no amount of equipment will solve the problem. Regardless of the chosen tools I think it is a reasonable expectation to need to be constantly practicing and refining the correct application of those tools. A gun in the hands of someone who has never pulled the trigger can in many ways be more dangerous than being unarmed. If you really want to protect herself you need to sell the whole picture and make sure she gets the training she needs.

If she does agree with you that a firearm is the route to go then I agree with everyone else - she needs to try a lot of options and see what she likes.

I highly suggest you bring her to a members shoot(if you can) and have her try a bunch of guns. Otherwise, take her up to a place that rents firearms...such as Manchester Firing Line in NH and have her try a few out there...

My wife has declared she likes revolvers. She finds the whole process of racking the slide on a semi auto, dealing with the slide lock, loading the mags all too much trouble. I took her to the range a few months back and she shot a whole range of firearms - Sig 229, 226 220, Glock 17...hates the PPK/S - she still comes back to her Ruger 101 in .38 special. She is not the slightest bit phased by shooting .357's from our S&W 686...She likes the simplicity, the loading, handling etc. She also likes that they typically always goes bang.

She's a revolver girl, and good for her!!! I'm proud of her!

No she doesn't shoot. I was an instructor Machine Guns but not hand guns. I know how to handle one correctly. I have been in firefights and situations that require a cool head prevail.

I also know that teaching her might not be in the best interest of our relationship.

As much as I would love to bring her to one of the shoots, sadly I cannot. She is a Mainiac but we live in Cali for the time being. She knows she needs protection, it's just getting her to believe that she is capable of doing this.

She needs to choose the handgun and not us, or you for that matter. The only way to find this out is to directly involve her in the process. This means letting her try different handguns, or at least holding them to see how they feel, point, etc.

-Mike

+1 for that.
Although we (you and us here at NES) can help to guide her in the right direction, only the end user can truely decide what feels good and what doesn't. The last thing your wife needs is to be forced to defend herself in a bad situation with a handgun that she either doesn't like or is scared of.

Coach Gun

I'm going to assume this gun is for the house and not something to carry around the supermarket with. If she's staying in the house I'd buy her a 20 gauge double gun with a tang safety. They can be had for under 300 dollars and it's easy for a non-gun type to shoot one good enough at 10 feet to discourage anything needing discouraging. Take her out to shoot it a few times with field loads of birdshot. Let her shoot a can on the ground. Then rubberband a pair of light buckshot rounds to the stock of the gun and hide it where ever you hide such things. Handguns do not belong in the hands of folk who do not have a keen interest or willingness to practice. For what it is worth, my mother was only 4 feet, 10 inches tall and never weighed more than 90 pounds in her life. She was tiny. Yet she could handle the above described shotgun with no trouble. The recoil shook her a little, but she always reloaded smiling.

John

I think a larger frame .38/.357 revolver would be a good choice, something like an S&W 627.

A semi auto might give her two problems, racking the slide might be difficult and she may be likely to limp wrist it.
OK, you just can't say that someone would like such and such a gun. I have a friend who, while being maybe 5', had wrists like steel - she used to sword-fight in the SCA. In spite of all the strength in her hands, she still limp-wristed guns. OTOH, my niece, also 5' tall, likes to shoot a full-size .45 auto.

Debbie must choose her gun herself. We can't do it for her.

I'd also agree that wheel guns are the simplest and easiest handgun for a new person or someone who is unsure about he operations of a handgun. If she's that slight, she probably has small hands as well. I'd recommend a 642CT for self defense. It's light, rated for +P 38 Specials and has a laser grip to help her with aiming if a quick shot is ever needed.
[slap]

Why does everyone try to shove off a J-frame on a girl????? Those damn things have a LOT of recoil. I can handle it no problem... But then I'm 5'6", over 200 lbs and have wrists strengthened by 25 years of bike riding and 20 years of swinging a wooden sword. And I've been shooting for 28 years.

You don't know how Debbie will like it... and if it's her first gun, she probably won't.

"Why do I get the girl gun?" - Mrs Jane Smith, on seeing her hubby with a .45 while she got handed the J-frame.

I highly suggest you bring her to a members shoot(if you can) and have her try a bunch of guns. Otherwise, take her up to a place that rents firearms...such as Manchester Firing Line in NH and have her try a few out there...
Grasshopper... read his profile under his name. He's in California. Kind of far to come for a shoot...

+1 on this advice. I have this in my pocket most of the time, and the crimson trace grips are da bomb for us new shooters. Very simple. And you can get the 642 without a lock now... at least in MA.

Just one thing she should be aware of. This does have a bit of a bite when shot. The gun is very light, so warn her that it will pinch a bit. Over time that goes away.

Good luck on your orders!

Rich

Your best bet is to make the house a "Bad Target" first. Second, set up a 'safe room' for her to retreat to. THEN, start talking about guns.

The first step doesn't really require her to do more than keep the doors locked and stay alert. You need to look at the house and get the locks, lights, and curtains in order.

The Second requires some drills, some thought about which room and how to get to it, and usually a new interior door.

At that point, she's safely behind the locked solid core door. Ask her "what if he came through that door?" Then let her select the gun.

Seriously, 99% of keeping safe has NOTHING to do with a gun.

Then again...

If the time came, you certainly want to be sure...

2nuha3n.jpg

First, get her into a defense-thinking mindset. Do things to make the house less of a target. Not only does this reduce the likelihood of an encounter, but more importantly, it can change her mentality. Even if you get no further than this, she is still better off.
Next, give her a transitional defensive weapon like pepper spray. Is it ideal? No. But now she is at least thinking about protection. Even if you get no further than this, she is still better off.
Third, take her to a range and shoot some 22's. Give her a chance to get used to things going bang.Even if you get no further than this, she is still better off.
Fourth, have SOMEONE ELSE, NOT YOU, give her basic firearms training. A slass, where you aren't even in the room, would be good. Any attempts by you to "help" will not help. With you not there, she can ask all the dumb questions she wants. the typical spouse dynamic will be noticeably absent. Even if you get no further than this, she is still better off.
Fifth, now go shooting bigger guns with her, and see if she wants to try any of them. Explain that the bigger the gun, the less recoil, if all other variables stay the same. The bigger the bullet, the more recoil, if all other variables stay the same. Let her decide what seems to fit. If she's happy with a .380 and you want her shooting a 357, then you compromise and get a .380. :)

My Wife didn't have the hand strength to use either a revolver or a regular semi-auto pistol....the only one that really worked out for her was the Beretta semi-auto in .380 with the tip-up barrel.

Back
Top Bottom