• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice needed

Remsport Mfg

NES Member
I would like to purchase a 2 meter radio and decided on ether the Kenwood TM-281A or the Yaesu FT- 2900R. Both have good reviews and the price point is where I want to be. Do any of you have any experience with ether radio or do any of you have an opinion on these two radios? I currently have a Yaesu FT-950 HF and a Yaesu VX-5R HT. This is pushing me to the Yeasu, however I don't want to make a mistake if the Kenwood is better is some ways.

My two cents;

Think about getting a dual bander so that you can do 2m and 440.
The yaesu is a nice radio. I had the 7900(dual band) and now I have two 8900s (quad band) 1 in my car and 1 in my bedroom. (ghey I know). In my shack I have an older Icom 821h which is cool because it can do satellite and all that stuff but doesn't have the newer features like alpha memories etc.
I recently replaced my Yaesu hand helds with Icoms for the Dstar capability.
I have an icom 720 dual band mobile which I'm not using. It lacks some features compared to the newer radios but it is a very nice radio with a solid feel and good performance.

All good radios. I used to work at HRO and I rate stuff by what I used to see returned. Also have been on the Land Mobile side. Buy what fits your needs and no more. If you need or anticipate need for 440 then provide for it. I personally think 440 is a waste of time in most areas. Ease of operation should be of top priority. I saw more equipment returned because it was "user hostile" than for any other reason. In a nutshell buy something you will use and can operate without a PhD. Bill PS I have had and still have a Icom V8000 and love it. Also had a 281A and liked it. Also have a commercial DMR bt Hytera and HATE IT!!

Decided on Yaesu FT 2900R seems to fit my needs, however the cheapest store was Gigaparts and the radio is on back order. Friday is the date they might be able to ship.
On another topic I want to upgrade my HF station so I am selling my almost new Yaesu FT-950 It is up on Ebay and QRZ. I am looking at the elecraft K3 with the Panadapter or the Ten Tec Omni VII I am leaning towards the Ten Tec
Thanks for the input
John
KC1ABV

It sold within 24 hours this radio was like new for $500.00 less then new.
Now I have to decide on a new HF radio.
Maybe I will just get some old tube stuff for now and play around. A nice used RL Drake set up.
Now if I could sell my Walther OSP target pistol as fast I would have no problems getting a hew radio.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom