Advice needed--homeless man registering a camper bought out of state

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Quick back story--a friend sold his house in MA and hooked up his old camper trailer and went walkabout. For almost a year he has wandered about the country, staying at campgrounds and state parks. As his old camper was deteriorating he bought a newer one in Utah a few weeks ago. Now he needs to register it somehow--he has a MA driver's license and PO box, but no actual permanent residence in the state. Apparently MA requires proof of residence to register a vehicle; what other states require I do not know. He is currently in AZ, but has no legal residence there. Anyone have any ideas?

BrianWilson

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that Maine is very lenient on trailer registrations. A quick google will hook you up with several companies who specialize in this. Apparently it's a popular work around for trailer registration issues in Mass.

caboose84

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full time RVers run into this a lot.

Your buddy can establish residence in South Dakota, there are companies that provide a mailing address and forwarding service that can be used for vehicle registration, drivers license and even voting by absentee ballot. No income tax for South Dakota "residents", you spend one night in a hotel or campground in the state and get a receipt with your name on it, fill out the residence paperwork, register the vehicle(s), get a DL and you are good to go. No annual vehicle inspections, most things are renewed by mail or online.

Edited to add- you have to go back every 5 years to renew your drivers license, everything else can be done by mail.

Last edited:

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0

Your buddy can establish residence in South Dakota, there are companies that provide a mailing address and forwarding service that can be used for vehicle registration, drivers license and even voting by absentee ballot. No income tax for South Dakota "residents", you spend one night in a hotel or campground in the state and get a receipt with your name on it, fill out the residence paperwork, register the vehicle(s), get a DL and you are good to go. No annual vehicle inspections, most things are renewed by mail or online.
son of a bitch...good to know! [thumbsup]

426wedge

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that Maine is very lenient on trailer registrations. A quick google will hook you up with several companies who specialize in this. Apparently it's a popular work around for trailer registration issues in Mass.
Only if you don't have to pay an excise tax.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He’s here in AZ, so it’d be fairly easy to do. Double so right now in the green Valley area. As it’s that time of year when all the snow birds show up, gem show is next month, and our drivers licenses last till your 65 birthday. 🤷🏻‍♂️

caboose84

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a popular company.

With this you would have a FL address.

The only issue with establishing Florida residency is you have to have an actual address of your own, or a friend/relative's to use for the drivers license.

South Dakota you use the physical address of the one night hotel/campground to cover DL and voting "residency" and the forwarding service provides the mailing address for the DL and vehicle registration which covers everything else going forward.

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The only issue with establishing Florida residency is you have to have an actual address of your own, or a friend/relative's to use for the drivers license.

South Dakota you use the physical address of the one night hotel/campground to cover DL and voting "residency" and the forwarding service provides the mailing address for the DL and vehicle registration which covers everything else going forward.
Here’re some tips on establishing a FL physical address and getting a driver license through St. Brendan’s Isle:

(In FL they actually call it a “driver license.”)

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Alternate. Incorporate in Delaware and register it to the Corp.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick back story--a friend sold his house in MA and hooked up his old camper trailer and went walkabout. For almost a year he has wandered about the country, staying at campgrounds and state parks. As his old camper was deteriorating he bought a newer one in Utah a few weeks ago. Now he needs to register it somehow--he has a MA driver's license and PO box, but no actual permanent residence in the state. Apparently MA requires proof of residence to register a vehicle; what other states require I do not know. He is currently in AZ, but has no legal residence there. Anyone have any ideas?
Have him look into the Texas program. All you need is a PO Box and you can register in Texas and establish residency in Texas. I'm waiting on a reply from someone who knows about it.

Get a Texas PO Box and use the escapees service to forward email to whereever you are at the moment.

Edit for another link:

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sign a lease with him for 3 months. He doesnt need to live with you, but can use that to register it. After "3 months" he will "move" somewhere else.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Edited to add- you have to go back every 5 years to renew your drivers license, everything else can be done by mail.

If you live in an RV traveling the country, how do you get your mail forwarded?

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Camper trailers are specifically excluded from this under the Maine regulations.

caboose84

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in an RV traveling the country, how do you get your mail forwarded?
Mail forwarding services rent you a PMB- private mail box. Mail is sent there, and you have the company forward it (for a fee) to wherever you want. Some will scan the mail so you can review it online and they'll shred the junk mail and forward the legit stuff.

Mail can be sent to a post office where you are going for "General Delivery"- they will hold for pickup.

Or you can go to a UPS store where you are, set up an account and they'll accept mail/packages for you.

Last edited:

bigred460

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mass has ridiculous registration fees for trailers, pick another state, hell even CT is way cheaper with fees.

Toytowninc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If he was able to register the first RV and insure it in MA, why not just transfer the plates? I do this 3 times a year as I switch from truck to truck that I'm fixing. Go to insurance co, transfer policy, got to RMV transfer plates. Some insurance company's will go to the registry for you. I may be missing something but I don't see the issue. If you have an existing policy and reg. they aren't going to ask for proof of residency.

Top Bottom