• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice needed for my LTC interview

I take my class this Saturday and want to apply to get my LTC on Monday. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers for my interview. I was told I should not say I want a firearm for all lawful purposes. I was going to say for sport, security, safety and collection. Ay suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Read the sticky in MA Gun Laws sub-forum on applying for a LTC. That's why we put all that info there and it should be helpful to you in answering the questions you have on how to proceed.

Justin,
Unfortunately you are correct, the wizards in MA no longer like the short ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES response even though its the best answer. What I tell my students is to mention your primary reason for the LTC first in your answer. I'd start by saying you've always been interested in exercising your 2nd amendment right and.....if you are primarily concerned with having a weapon for self/family safety/protection in the home and carrying-on-your-person then that should be first in your answer followed by the secondary reasons like all sporting purposes, and collection, etc. Obviously you can switch around the order as it applies to your situation. If you mention a secondary reason first then there's always the chance they will "forget" your primary reason (if its a request for self protection) and give you a restricted license "for sporting purposes only" and those are pretty useless in my view. Are you in a CCW unfriendly town? Whatever the case, just relax and dont be nervous, they just want to get a sense of whether you are a normal, law abiding citizen and not a nut. If you have anymore questions/concerns just ask. Sniper977 - NRA C'rt Instructor

Justin,
Unfortunately you are correct, the wizards in MA no longer like the short ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES response even though its the best answer. What I tell my students is to mention your primary reason for the LTC first in your answer. I'd start by saying you've always been interested in exercising your 2nd amendment right and.....if you are primarily concerned with having a weapon for self/family safety/protection in the home and carrying-on-your-person then that should be first in your answer followed by the secondary reasons like all sporting purposes, and collection, etc. Obviously you can switch around the order as it applies to your situation. If you mention a secondary reason first then there's always the chance they will "forget" your primary reason (if its a request for self protection) and give you a restricted license "for sporting purposes only" and those are pretty useless in my view. Are you in a CCW unfriendly town? Whatever the case, just relax and dont be nervous, they just want to get a sense of whether you are a normal, law abiding citizen and not a nut. If you have anymore questions/concerns just ask. Sniper977 - NRA C'rt Instructor

I woudl say it depends on the town whether or not you should say "Ive always wanted to exercise my 2nd amendment rights".....not that such a reply should be seen as a negative, but for some issuing authorities, it is.

I woudl say it depends on the town whether or not you should say "Ive always wanted to exercise my 2nd amendment rights".....not that such a reply should be seen as a negative, but for some issuing authorities, it is.

I'd say that is a negative for many issuing authorities. I would never go off on the 2nd Amendment in a licensing interview, even in a green town.

I would say it depends on the town whether or not you should say "Ive always wanted to exercise my 2nd amendment rights".....not that such a reply should be seen as a negative, but for some issuing authorities, it is.

I'd say that is a negative for many issuing authorities. I would never go off on the 2nd Amendment in a licensing interview, even in a green town.

I agree here!

My Wife used that verbally during her interview and the chief went into a rant that "state law superseded the US Constitution" and didn't apply in MA! I almost fell off my chair, but it gives you a good indication of the brainwashing that public schools has on people who later come to power.

Don't use it, it won't help your cause, except in rare communities where the chief really knows Constitutional Law!

Justin,
Unfortunately you are correct, the wizards in MA no longer like the short ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES response even though its the best answer. What I tell my students is to mention your primary reason for the LTC first in your answer.

My wife and I applied for our LTC-A last night, and the officer processing my application told me that they always write "for all lawful purposes" on the application. I would stick to that unless specifically told not to.

I agree here!

My Wife used that verbally during her interview and the chief went into a rant that "state law superseded the US Constitution" and didn't apply in MA! I almost fell off my chair, but it gives you a good indication of the brainwashing that public schools has on people who later come to power.

Don't use it, it won't help your cause, except in rare communities where the chief really knows Constitutional Law!

Federal law always supercedes state and local laws. Guess this guy never went to school!

I was told in my class that all I had to put down was ALP, so thats what I did. I think it depends on the town you live in. If you're a townie it might go easier, if you're a transplant from somewhere else it might not. Town politics about firearms are fickle.

When the licensing officer asked me why I wanted an LTC I said:

"For a number of reasons. I have always been interested in firearms and I have decided that I now want to get into them. I intend to get involved in sport shooting and I may get into hunting later on but the primary reason I want an LTC is for personal protection."

Good luck.....

The day I picked up my application at the PD the officer that handed to me told me to write "All Lawful Purposes" on the app. Completley unsolicited. I took the course from a cop in town and he said the exact same thing.

When I got my permit it was LTC-A - Restrictions - None.

It's nice to live in a Green town. I have been told that unless you have a disqualifier or lie/omit something on your application, that is what they issue. I was also told if you are an asshat, they will revoke it faster than a New Orleans looter on a wide screen

It really depends on the town. You should see if you can find someone that lives in your town that got one with the same chief. I applied for mine 30 days ago in Shrewsbury and the cop was great. He said to put "All Lawful Purposes" as that's what they issue. He did say 5 years ago was a different story due to the chief at the time. Back then they issued all sorts of restrictions that made it difficult for the patrol officers to figure out if you were breaking the law or not. He said it was awful and now they issue ALP to everyone. They figure if you have an LTC-A in the first place, you are responsible enough for it to be unrestricted. They leave the interpretation of the law to the licensee, not the patrolman.

I am hoping to get my postcard in the main any day now...

My wife and I applied for our LTC-A last night, and the officer processing my application told me that they always write "for all lawful purposes" on the application. I would stick to that unless specifically told not to.

What you write on the app and what you say during an interview are two different things. If your speaking with an officer face to face and he asks why you want an LTC I don't think an answer of all lawful purposes is going to cut it.....

I was told in my class that all I had to put down was ALP, so thats what I did. I think it depends on the town you live in. If you're a townie it might go easier, if you're a transplant from somewhere else it might not. Town politics about firearms are fickle.

Yup. My Wife and I have always put down ONLY ALP and other than the one verbal hassle noted above, never had a problem, always issued unrestricted thru 3 chiefs (first one was a personal friend) . . . and this is in a genuinely "red" town! [shocked]

We're "transplanted townies", earned our stripes by being active in town gov't since we moved here >30 years ago.

What we do will NOT work for most people in this same town. That's a sad fact.

What you write on the app and what you say during an interview are two different things. If your speaking with an officer face to face and he asks why you want an LTC I don't think an answer of all lawful purposes is going to cut it.....

Agreed. If I was asked face to face I would reply "for protection of property and life, and recreational use".

In our particular case we were told that they will call us when the licenses are ready for pickup. Obviously, an interview-free process is not the case for everyone.

I live in a green town, however the town is very protectiove of their own and I have only lived here for 3 years. I have no criminal record so I am not afraid of the backround check. My biggest fear is an application or interview error. According to all the guidlines I should have no problem but I live in MA so as most things the law only works one way.

I live in a green town, however the town is very protectiove of their own and I have only lived here for 3 years. I have no criminal record so I am not afraid of the backround check. My biggest fear is an application or interview error. According to all the guidlines I should have no problem but I live in MA so as most things the law only works one way.

That's why you SHOULD DL the state app and fill it out, take two copies. Give one to the licensing officer and keep one in hand. When s/he hands you the MIRCS copy to sign, MAKE SURE that everything is identical before signing it, then keep a copy from MIRCS stapled to your hand-written copy for your files.

That prevents mistakes on the app. You do it at home, with time to think thru every question, research answers, etc. Doing it from the seat of your pants while sitting across from even the nicest licensing officer is a ticket to disaster . . . easy to forget something that way.

Don't stress over it, but go in prepared.

This is what I suggest to my students:

Green Town:

"Personal protection inside and outside my home Sports, competition, and recreation. Protection while I camp, hike and fish." Then write "All lawful purposes."

Red Town: Add the following to the above:

A paragraph attesting to your good character, stability in the community, achievements and activities.

A paragraph detailing specific reasons related to your employment, career, personal situation, and activities that may put you at more at risk than others. Or reasons related to your health which would make it difficult or impossible to escape or retreat from an attack. Additionally, I recommend people who have been the victim of a violent crime or have testified against others in court to indicate so.

I personally do not believe that that any single individual is more entitled than any other when it comes to this human right, however, this is the way the law is. I can't wait for it to get struck down.

Wear a bowtie and tophat, cops love that shit.

Seriously though, write all lawful purposes then add some details such as personal protection, recreational and what not. Be prepared to make your case in the interview, dont need to go into great detail in the app.

Could Hightower v. Boston "strike it down"?

Potentially. But if not, we are prepared to file something else in behind it. We don't want to waste money if we think we don't need to. Suitability is high on our list of things to end so you can bet we are highly motivated to attack it from as many directions as possible.

My friend who is advising me on my LTC process in Quincy said "All Lawful Purposes" is fine here (green city). I might get a hunting/target restriction since I'm 24 though. I might just wait until my birthday for it in that case, its only 3 months away.

Just relax. It's just a process. Just dropped off my renewal today. I waited until the person filled out the computer generated form, re-checked my finger print with the electronic gizmo and paid the fee with a check. Off I went. "All Lawful Purposes" You will be fine.

That's why you SHOULD DL the state app and fill it out, take two copies. Give one to the licensing officer and keep one in hand. When s/he hands you the MIRCS copy to sign, MAKE SURE that everything is identical before signing it, then keep a copy from MIRCS stapled to your hand-written copy for your files.

That prevents mistakes on the app. You do it at home, with time to think thru every question, research answers, etc. Doing it from the seat of your pants while sitting across from even the nicest licensing officer is a ticket to disaster . . . easy to forget something that way.

Don't stress over it, but go in prepared.

Where can I download the App and can I just get one at the police station and bring it home to fill it out.

Back
Top Bottom