• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice in North Carolina

So I am in NC at the moment on a road trip with the family. My question is regarding the purchase of ammo and guns do I need anything besides a drivers liscence to purchase things?
I was hoping to pick up a pre- ban glock if I happen to find one and ship it back to MA.

Thanks for any help guys

I'm not an expert but here's my understanding:

You will need an FFL in MA that is willing to accept (and transfer to you) any handgun you wish to buy out of state. They will need to provide a copy of their FFL to the dealer in NC you are purchasing from who, in turn, needs to be willing to ship the weapon to MA. When you return to MA and your MA FFL has received the weapon you will need to go into them, complete the paperwork, and pay their transfer fee. The reason for all of this is that you cannot legally purchase a handgun from any dealer or individual from a state other than your state of residence.

Ammo shouldn't be a problem, iirc.

Where in NC are you (I live in NC)? You can buy all the ammo that you want, but handguns is what DustinK said. Most dealers will ship to MA but they won't be responsible/liable if a MA dealer won't accept the transfer so before you do any handgun buying you should get a MA dealer lined up to accept a transfer first. An out of state person can legally buy a long gun but said gun must be legal in their home state.

You would have to have said handgun sent to an MA FFL. If it's a pre-98 Glock verifiable by the serial number, then most reputable dealers should be willing to accept it and transfer it to you when you return to MA. You certainly cannot buy it and send it back yourself, it would have to go straight from the FFL to an MA FFL.

I purchased most of my 9mm WWB @ Walmart in NC.
They ask you for DL only to verify age.

Guns are a different story [frown]

Back
Top Bottom