• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice for picking a Stack-on double sided wafer lock?

I lost the key to my Stack-on "safe." I've been trying a Y-tensioner and a snowman pick from one of those $20 kits without success. I think I have a good feel for when a wafer sets, but I can't get it to turn. Usually when I release tension I'll hear 5 or 6 distinct clicks when they spring back.

Does anyone have tips for a noob to pick it? Do these generally require more tension, less tension? Hoping I don't have to drill this thing out, or god forbid call a "professional."

Should be able to rake it open. Is it one of those two-sided keys? You'll have to rake one side at a time, get a false set, and go to the other side.

If not you could always drill along the shear line with a nice carbide bit.

Should be able to rake it open. Is it one of those two-sided keys? You'll have to rake one side at a time, get a false set, and go to the other side.

If not you could always drill along the shear line with a nice carbide bit.

Definitely 2-sided key, yes.

If that doesn't work, you could always use WhatLuck's Universal Lockpick
Thermite_mix.jpg

Two-sided key does not necessarily mean two sets of wafers, particularly if the keyway is such that the key can be inserted either way up.

You don't need special tools. Use bottom of the keyway tension with a wiper insert or equivalent, light tension, and try zipping it with a standard hook. Often this works better than a rake, though I've never seen a wafer lock that wouldn't eventually yield to a rake.

After you get it open, it is simple to remove the lock and take it to a locksmith, who will make you a key. (Or, better yet, sell you a pin tumbler cored lock that is more secure.) One place to try is Herb's on Broadway in Arlington.

Pardon me, but after all of these posts about how to pick this open, why don't you just drill the f**king lock out and then leave the cabinet unlocked / open????
IDK, just saying. [laugh]

Pardon me, but after all of these posts about how to pick this open, why don't you just drill the f**king lock out and then leave the cabinet unlocked / open????
IDK, just saying. [laugh]

Definitely an option. Any tips for drilling it in terms of bit diameter, exact location?

Definitely an option. Any tips for drilling it in terms of bit diameter, exact location?
Never really done that, but I'd imagine you've got nothing to lose, the cabinet is no good to you locked.
You can contact the company if you have a key code for a replacement.
There may be a tag somewhere on the cabinet with the code.
I've seen this done this before.

Edit:
A replacement key will take a couple or few weeks, and cost you probably 25-35 bucks, but you'll have a usable cabinet again.

Well, I had to admit defeat and drill out the lock core. Actually, it was less "drilling" and more cracking the soft metal into chunks with a 1/2" drill, not too difficult.

I can pretty much guarantee that the original key will turn up within a week, of course.

I used that exact set to help a friend get into his small gun safe in less than 20 seconds. Same type of lock.

It’s a worthwhile skill set to have.

I heard long ago “locks are to keep the good people out” (or similar).
I learned about locks from being a Harley-Davidson mechanic for 30 years. In the early days Harley never kept track of key #'s so, we would always get
"I cant find the key to my ignition/saddlebag/tour-pak" etc. I've made and used dozens of picks and always enjoyed the thrill of the chase...

I learned about locks from being a Harley-Davidson mechanic for 30 years. In the early days Harley never kept track of key #'s so, we would always get
"I cant find the key to my ignition/saddlebag/tour-pak" etc. I've made and used dozens of picks and always enjoyed the thrill of the chase...

Oh that reminds me of a story about renting a HD on vacation... no key, after a bunch of other issues with it, returned it... long story. Thought I’d be buried on that Island...

And another about showing up a cop who has no clue how to use a Slim Jim...

I have not yet tried barrel picks but on my list.

To the OP. Sorry you had to drill and yes the key will pop up very soon. Learn to pick.

To Enbloc, I’m sure, provide a VIN 😉... And I still have my “silver anniversary key” Lol.

Barrel picks often work very easily, but you need a $et if you want to cover anything other than the ACE 137 centered tubular. If you want to know what is highly pick resistant, just look at what vending machines are using (plus of course the S&G lever locks and LaGard disk detainer keyed safe locks).

Time was you had to go to a locksmith supply house and convince them you were legit to get access to the HPC stuff. Now, there are multiple online vendors and product brand, many of which sell at vastly inflated consumer rather than trade prices. Nothing beats a nice HPC classic set as a starting point, though I don't know if they have updated their assortment to include a Bogota rake. HPC still seems to sell mostly through trade rather than nerd sources.

I haven't encountered a double sided I needed to open yet, but the pick set (HPC sells a near identical one) look more like a set of jiggle/tryout keys than true picks. Whatever works though.

Last edited:
To Enbloc, I’m sure, provide a VIN 😉... And I still have my “silver anniversary key” Lol.
Lol. I've got a Goldie that was given out by the Factory to Techs. It's like jewelry...
VIN key matching started in the mid 90's. Before that we would remove the key cover and handwrite the key number on the original setup hardcopy.
Only good if an original purchase was made at our shop. Bought it somewhere else? Sorry.

Think I'll need to hear more about the "Island"... [smile]

Back
Top Bottom