• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

advice for first pistol

An M&P compact was my first gun. I wouldn't recommend it, there is a G17 in the classifieds right now for $450, just get that or a G19 instead. For the record, I later bought glocks and I've since sold them and still have an M&P compact, but I think that the prebans make the glocks much more appealing if that is your only gun.

I was referring to the full size.
Don't really want to get into a pissing fight about Glock vs Smith vs blah blah blah, but the fact is some people like different things. The OP wont know until they grip it in their hand and tries it.

That said, i shoot an M&P 9 full size for USPSA production. I shoot a G34 MOS for USPSA carry optics. In my experience, i have found that the M&P trigger can be tuned much better than the Glock to have less overall travel and shorter reset. Not by much, but i find the the M&P mags have more margin of error for alignment into the mag well when reloading.

To each their own. It was a suggestion of something to consider and if it feels good in the hand, its a decent kit to start with.

I was referring to the full size.
Don't really want to get into a pissing fight about Glock vs Smith vs blah blah blah, but the fact is some people like different things. The OP wont know until they grip it in their hand and tries it.

That said, i shoot an M&P 9 full size for USPSA production. I shoot a G34 MOS for USPSA carry optics. In my experience, i have found that the M&P trigger can be tuned much better than the Glock to have less overall travel and shorter reset. Not by much, but i find the the M&P mags have more margin of error for alignment into the mag well when reloading.

To each their own. It was a suggestion of something to consider and if it feels good in the hand, its a decent kit to start with.

The m&p fits my hand better and I shoot it better than a glock, I agree it comes down to personal preference. I was coming from the angle of versatility if you can only have one.

I have no problem with any of my 22's, especially the Walther GSP expert. Depends on what and why your "eventually" buying something for. I had plans for IDPA, but available time, cost of 1k rounds for practice & event/event, and travel to events never allowed it to happen. I used to go to my local clubs 45 plate shoots, but then they stopped. Cowboy SASS shoots are back

Last edited:
Maybe my sarcasm meter is broken, but you can't be serious.

He's probably dead serious, although the reasoning is stupid. My reasoning is more like .22 pistols are usually f**king dumpster
fires and now I'm at the point where I won't even put a new shooter on a .22 unless it's a "special case" where theres recoil sensitivity or something else going on. The frequent malfunctions and failures of these guns distract from learning, although if the goal is
learning how to clear malfs, .22 autos are the ticket. [laugh]

-Mike

Like most I wouldn't recommend a 1911 as a first handgun. .45 can be expensive, and the 1911 platform, while fun, can have trouble all on it's own. I would recommend something in 9mm. It's much cheaper to shoot, and there are a plethora of options available in MA.

The best advice I've seen is to go someplace like MFS where you can try before you buy. Try everything that strikes your fancy, and then decide what felt best to you.

Personally, my first purchase was an H&K VP9 for home defense. Love it, and highly recommend it to anyone interested.

Start out with a 9. A good all around cheap round. Get one you can carry easily and use as a hd and range gun. Go for a single action platform as they are easier to learn trigger control and you can work your way up to 1911’s. You might like also a dao, with proven reliable platforms.

Keep in mind its your first gun not your last gun. By that I mean if your like most of us,buy something, and love it or hate it your going to want to buy more. So just go to a few shops, find one you like, buy something, shoot it, decide positves and negatives, then make a more informed decision on the second third etc. You can eithet sell the first one, or keep it and build that collection

You should go to a range somewhere and pay to shoot at least 3 different 9mm full size guns and a 1911. Shooting them all in the same session will tell you more than most advice we can give. You should buy whichever gun shoots best for you. Put a few thousand rounds through that gun and take at least one real training class. Then buy whatever you really want to own, because you should be able to shoot anything decently at that point.

I started out with a M&P9. I now pretty much only use G34s. When I started I grouped best with the M&P9 after a friend let me shoot one with a G17 and XDm. So that's the gun I bought to start.

My reasoning is more like .22 pistols are usually f**king dumpster fires ............... although if the goal is learning how to clear malfs, .22 autos are the ticket. [laugh]
-Mike

There is a lot more truth in there that exaggeration or sarcasm. Its incredible how finicky or down right undependable .22 auto handguns can be.

The military didn't dare to use 22's as trainers, did they.

Here's one I really dislike :p Can I get a 9mm conversion kit for it ;)

P1030259a.jpg P1030260a.jpg

I took the time to read the whole thread before adding this response:

.22LR - Unless you are genuinely spooked by the .45 flinch that you induced, and wish to own a handgun for carry, I would skip the .22 and move on up to a 9mm.

.22 rimfires have their place, I even have Colt's .22 conversion rig for my Gubment 1911, and shoot .22LR/L/S with a fair regularity from handguns. That said, as several have mentioned (to varying degrees from mild annoyance to disgust) unless you're looking to strictly train and plink, there's no reason not to get a 9mm into your mitts. The .22LR ammunition can be spotty at times, and cause premature fouling and other performance-related issues. I teach groups using a variety of rifles in .22 rimfire (a large group last Sunday) and at a point given temperatures and what have you, misfires and failures to extract creep in during a long training session (bolt-action Savage Mark I rifles). Granted, these are single-fire bolt rifles (running Federal Target and CCI Standard ammunition) and unless you're spending some cha-ching on the ammo, ya gets what ya gets. 22 caliber rimfire handguns can go from fairly reliable to not so much so depending upon ammo from the get-go in my experience. Not so much true for 9mm rigs. And training is no place to introduce variables that interfere with the process (unless the training is all about FTF).

The immediate desire for a Black Friday sale price is understandable, but jumping at a handgun simply for price is not recommended. You bought it, you own it.

Take the many posters' advice and try out a few models. Rentals are an option. And to be sure, there are many on this forum, and perhaps at a Range or Sportsmen's Club that you belong to that would give you the opportunity to try their firearm if you asked.

I have been to NES events where I've seen a dozen-plus individuals handle the same firearm during the day. I know that NESers can be very generous with use of their hardware.

A Glock 19, oft mentioned is a decent choice, and one that I will place in the hands of a shooter before a Full-Sied or even Commander-sized slide 1911. A lot of them out there, constantly in-the-case at your local gun shop (new or used), and very reliable.

So, don't jump at a deal just because the price tag is right (there will be post Christmas sales too), beware the .22 rimfire if your plan is personal carry and for other stated reasons. And try out a few before you find your fit (and remember that hand grips can be changed).

My 2 cents, just to hear it from someone else:

The .45 is a great personal defense round. It is that much better than a 9mm? No. Objectively, no, the FBI just spent millions of dollars to prove it. It's better to get solid center mass hits. 9mm guns generally have higher round count magazines, even if you have to carry neutered 10 round mags, I don't know how many 10 rnd .45 magazines are cost effective and or make the gun harder to conceal. The 9mm is an accurate round and has less recoil (generally speaking).

Why wouldn't I recommend a 1911 as a first gun? The low trigger weight. And for under $500 you aren't going to get a tricked out 1911, you're going to be looking at lower tier guns that may or may not be reliable out of the box. My 1911's have low single digit trigger weights, they pretty much go bang when I think about shooting. This may not be wise for a beginner. Others may disagree. It's my opinion, so blow off ya hoser.

I'd suggest any number of firearms in 9mm that will be quality firearms at around that price point. Find one that fits your hand and is comfortable to use all the features (mag release, safety if you have one, slide release). If you are unfortunate enough to live in Mass (I didn't look), your options may be limited, but 'used' guns aren't always a bad thing. I've found that 'most' guns are like motorcycles: bought on impulse, used on occasion, sold when they become a hassle to own.

Edit: to learn how to deal with flinching, long slow pulls on the trigger, when the gun goes 'bang' keep the trigger pressed. Release the trigger when you are back on target. If you feel yourself starting to anticipate, release the trigger and start again. Buy some snap caps, have someone else load them in your mags. When you hit one, you'll know it. I know I do, I, weekendracer, occasionally flinch when shooting.

Last edited:
I bought a SIG SP2022 9mm at my local gun store a few months back and love it. I paid around $475 for it. It has a great trigger, is a DA/SA and is dead balls on accurate. Until I bought it, my 1911 was my daily carry. Now the SIG is.

I know this will not be a well-received comment, but it's possible a .45ACP is just too much for you, especially at this time with zero experience.

Whatever you choose, develop competence before you begin carrying.

I took the advice of many and decide not to make a purchase this week. Instead my friend took me out shooting and I tried a S&W 1911 in 45 ACP. Unfortunately he doesn't own a 9mm so I didn't get a good comparison, but I loved the 1911. The recoil wasn't as bad as I remember it to be. It felt more like a thump. By my third magazine I could stay on a 4in diameter target consistently with maybe 2 seconds between shots at a distance of 7 yards. It felt like I could get better with practice. But man, the price for 50 rounds was hurtful. That alone is steering me towards 9mm. I'll try to hit a range where I can borrow a bunch there.

I took the advice of many and decide not to make a purchase this week. Instead my friend took me out shooting and I tried a S&W 1911 in 45 ACP. Unfortunately he doesn't own a 9mm so I didn't get a good comparison, but I loved the 1911. The recoil wasn't as bad as I remember it to be. It felt more like a thump. By my third magazine I could stay on a 4in diameter target consistently with maybe 2 seconds between shots at a distance of 7 yards. It felt like I could get better with practice. But man, the price for 50 rounds was hurtful. That alone is steering me towards 9mm. I'll try to hit a range where I can borrow a bunch there.

You have been ruined. No trigger will ever be as nice as a 1911 trigger.

Go to your LGS and impulse buy. It’s always worked for me.

:p That's what I do too.

That's why many people say to start with a .22
You can rip through hundreds of rounds getting used to aiming and squeezing and it's only cost you a few dollars.

Like others have said, go to a match, slow fire, timed fire, rapid fire course. People there have been shooting these matches for 10, 20 , even 30 years, and have every classification from marksmen, sharpshooter, expert to master. You will learn so much just by watching for a few nights, than you would on your own for years. You may even start to shoot the course with them. Just show up, they do not bite, and actually are quite friendly. and it is free to watch.

Pistol i would do a 9mm , not much for recoil and easy to shoot . If you do a revolver I would go with a good quality. 22 . If you want to do centerfire a 357 mag . You can shoot ,38 while in the learning curve.

Don’t buy used until you know what you are looking for. There are too many people with YouTube and a dremel. I will not buy used.

Don't buy glock. You don't want to get into that shit in MA. 22lr is for fun. As a grown man, get a 9mm pistol, and tons of ammo. You will get use to it soon. Don't buy subcompact carry gun as your first gun. you first gun should always be a range gun for practice. 1911 is a must have, but not necessary the first gun. I would suggest HK VP9 or Sig 226, even a browning hi power.

Alien gave the best advice however "go to the range" might need some clarification.

BOth Mass Firearms School in Holliston and American Firearms School in NOrth Attleboro rent guns at reasonable prices. DO some research and then shoot several. THey will all feel different. Get what you like and can shoot the best.

As far as IDPA is concerned I would get on some of the forums and Facebook Pages and ask the question. If you belong to a club that shoots IDPA or USPSA my number one recommendation would be to go to a practice or match, see what people are shooting, and ask questions. I have had several people come to our matches/practices and ask. Believe it or not shooters LOVE to talk about their equipment.

Most IDPA shooters are going to tell you that the starting point is an inexpensive striker fired polymer gun. in most places that would mean Glock 17, Ruger SR9, S&W M&P9. Unfortunately in MA you will pay a premium for a GLock. If non MA it would be high on the list not just for the gun itself but because of the availability of INEXPENSIVE accessories (Holster, Magazines, mag carriers). If you can find another $200 both H&K VP9 and Sig P320 are very popular now.

In the words of Chuck Yeager, "It's the man, not the machine."

Chuck Yeager was able to run faster then the speed of sound!?! Dayum! :p

In all seriousness, buy something that is of decent quality so that it will be working with you, not against you (horrific trigger pull, poor ergonomics, etc.). Then practice, practice, practice. You need both dry fire time and live fire time. Work on slow fire skills and be mindful of what muscles you are activating when pulling the trigger. It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway... when beginning a dry fire session, always properly check to make sure the gun is clear, and do not have any ammunition present.

Learn to shoot (and lose your flinch) with a good quality .22 . Once your fundimentals are down, you'll easily move into whatever caliber /handgun you choose.
If you can't learn to hit it with a .22, you'll never learn with a 45.

This.....Look for a 22 with a little heft to it...Nice Ruger MK III. newer one...old one is a bitch to take down....then work your way up as you become more proficient.

I started shooting pistols with a Ruger Mark III. It is tough to break down at first but after a while it's no problem. I still love shooting that pistol every so often. I've owned and sold a few pistols since the Ruger, which I still have. That said, if you're looking for a self defense pistol, take the advise of others on this board and try as many as you can that are minimum 9mm. You may shoot Glocks well or you may not (like me). I'd recommend a full size pistol because more concealable ones that I've owned tend to be "snappy" when shot. That's controllable once you have some experience but might create bad habits (i.e., flinching) for the new shooter.
Get what's comfortable and affordable to shoot on a regular basis, and take your time. You'll be fine.

I’ve read this sort of threa many times over, and .22 is always recommended. Don’t do that. .22 is fun but buy a real pistol and save .22 for teaching people who have never touched a pistol and dicking around. There are a select few that will be real training aids.

You will get a lot more out of a 9mm long term.

Back
Top Bottom