Advice for disabled shooter?

Going to be bringing a buddy with a hand disability to the range. I plan on letting him kind of find his comfort zone with some minimal direction, but should I try to encourage him to use a two-handed grip if possible, or just go straight to one-handed? We will be shooting handguns, nothing crazy just some 9MM. Anyone have any experience first-handed or otherwise? I don't want him to feel frustrated, but I'm having some difficulty finding some good resources on shooting with only one-hand or a partially working support hand.

I think it might be something like ectrodactyly, so a birth defect. Missing some fingers and arm is shortened (so he may not even be able to use a two-hand grip). If I had to guess, he will probably go one-handed.

Start with a .22 if you can, might be easier to control with a limited or dysfunctional grip.

I'd also recommend starting with a .22. I have a Browning Buckmark Camper UFX that I've lightened up with a Tactical Solutions TRAIL-LITE pistol barrel. Very nice grip either two handed or single handed grip. I always start new shooters with this and the smile factor is priceless. My granddaughter just keeps saying "Load more mag's Papa"......

PM me if interested. I'm in the Worcester area.

Jay

8y7kk87.jpg

Back
Top Bottom